Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What religion do you practice?
Christian 22 22.68%
Catholic 9 9.28%
Atheist 27 27.84%
agnostic 13 13.40%
Theism 3 3.09%
taoism 1 1.03%
Muslim 7 7.22%
Spiritual/other 21 21.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:22 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,828 times

Advertisements

I completely forgot this religion... Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:27 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
I forgot it. If I could edit the poll I would. I apologize if I offended in anyway. I did not mean to leave out any religions. There are literally hundreds to list.
No offense taken. I was just being feisty

Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
It's simple - I believe whatever I believe. My name is Heather so I call msyelf a Heatherist! Basically - I don't know if there is a supreme being or divine force or simply just gases and energy and rocks and such. I believe that we should be the best people we can be - loving, kind, understanding, funny, sympathetic, etc. I don't really believe in an afterlife or anything - but I believe in making the most of the time we do have. Those are my basic beliefs. Some of the things I believe in change from day to day, week to week, year to year. I guess I just take each day as it comes and try to make the best of things! So far, it's worked pretty well for me!

Can I join your religion?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:04 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
I don't go to Church, but I'm theologically closest to being a Mormon. I think you should have broken down Christianity into different categories (Catholic, Mormon, Evangelical Protestant, non-Evangelical Protestant, etc.).

I also like many aspects of Buddhism and how they focus a lot on learning to cultivate the right state of mind, although I don't believe in reincarnation.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 02-22-2011 at 12:14 AM..

Old 02-22-2011, 03:10 AM

360 posts, read 444,432 times
Quote:
To say athiesm is silent regarding the origins of the universe is a joke.
To say you read and understood Hueffenhardt's point is a joke. He spelled it out right in the first sentence, that someone can be an atheist and believe something else, but that belief comes from something else such as secular humanism.

Quote:
Athiests have a major opinion when it comes to religion.
Muslims have a major opinion when it comes to Christianity. Therefore, they are involved in Christian beliefs! Actually, no.

Quote:
It also does have a position on religion and religious practices. Why do athiests care so much about people believing in a God(s) or practicing their faith?
Some atheists spend their time arguing about religion; ergo, atheism as a whole has an opinion on religion? Uh, no.

You could make the argument that by disbelieving in God(s), atheists are opposed to religion, but then you have to consider situations like Buddhism, which says there may be, or Confucianism, which doesn't even care.

Quote:
I know most people would say they only care because religious people shove it down our throats. Again, that is only a select few. The vast majority of religious people could care less about what you believe in.
Actually, most I've met (including me) do care what atheists believe or disbelieve in, but they do not waste their time being rude about it ("God is coming tomorrow! You will burn in hell!").

Quote:
I know several people who are atheists who live to prove religion wrong and to end it for everyone. There are even major organizations, protest groups, charity events and groups that are all atheists, the live as atheistic as possible. Many would say that being an atheist is a way of life.

Look up the definition of religion. Atheism is a religion that just doesnt believe in a god, period.
Okay, so if an atheist is in an organization opposed to something, atheism as a whole is also opposed to it?

No, not at all. You're being silly. And even if all that was true, it doesn't make atheism a religion....

Old 02-22-2011, 09:36 AM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
I forgot it. If I could edit the poll I would. I apologize if I offended in anyway.
The only people you offended are the ones who say that Mormons aren't Christians. I voted "Christian" because that's what I am.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:50 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,828 times
I didn't think there was much of a difference between Catholics and Christians, until a few christian friends of mine said something. Some of my family are Catholic and some are Christian. The Catholic side doesn't agree with the way the Christian side prays, teaches the bible and such. It can get kind of annoying.

To me anyone who believes in Christ is a Christian.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:35 AM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
To me anyone who believes in Christ is a Christian.
I think you're on the right track, but missed the mark a little. Muslims believe in Christ, and see Him as a prophet, but they're definitely not Christians. To me, anyone who believes in Christ as our Savior and Redeemer is a Christian.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:07 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Criticisms of poll choices aside, I like the way you ask the question, what religion do you "practice", because that's what my religion is to me, something I practice, and kind of feebly and sporadically at that. My practice waxes and wanes according to life circumstances. I have had exposure to different major religions, Eastern and Western, through friends and family, and try to find common ground with them, and think it's good to find the truth and wisdom in all of them. Each one is a cultural treasure. I want to foster mutual understanding, and I like Thich Nhat Hanh's statement, "we are here to awaken from our illusion of separateness." I feel fortunate to live among many different Native American groups and to participate as a guest in their feast days. I like to draw strength and inspiration from many sources and focus more on the connections than the contradictions.

But at one point I felt it was best for me to cultivate a personal faith through practice, so I returned to the Episcopal Church (which is both Catholic and Christian), which I find very active in exploring intersections with other faith traditions while holding fast to its own long traditions (without being "stuck in the past"). I find it less important to be a "believer" in doctrines than to be a seeker after truth and to serve.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 PM

142 posts, read 186,716 times
Quote:
I have had exposure to different major religions, Eastern and Western, through friends and family, and try to find common ground with them, and think it's good to find the truth and wisdom in all of them. Each one is a cultural treasure. I want to foster mutual understanding, and I like Thich Nhat Hanh's statement, "we are here to awaken from our illusion of separateness." I feel fortunate to live among many different Native American groups and to participate as a guest in their feast days. I like to draw strength and inspiration from many sources and focus more on the connections than the contradictions.
truth is found in what the opposites have in common. you and i share much the same viewpoint. i see much value and purpose in every religion i've ever been exposed to, but have never felt the need or desire to embrace one above any other. what delights and inspires me when i read the texts from different theologies is finding the golden thread of truth that runs through them all.....and it has nothing to do with the invention/personification of any entity/deity, and certainly not the elevation of any human as a savior of all mankind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality