Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What religion do you practice?
Christian 22 22.68%
Catholic 9 9.28%
Atheist 27 27.84%
agnostic 13 13.40%
Theism 3 3.09%
taoism 1 1.03%
Muslim 7 7.22%
Spiritual/other 21 21.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:52 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times

Advertisements

Hmm... why wasn't Jewish an option? An oversight, perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,536,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Atheism has it's own set of beliefs on the subjects above. Therefore it is a religion.

Christianity and Catholicism are different in regards to many beliefs, such as the path to salvation. Their foundations are also quite different. Catholics believe in Original Sin and baptize at birth. Christians believe Sin is learned and baptism is a choice to be made by the individual when they are able to decipher right from wrong.

Catholic priests teach directly out of the bible and are based on strong traditions. Christians often interpret the bible themselves and teach about topics closely related to the bible.
Where do I begin?
How could Catholics not consider themselves Christian?
How do Christians and Catholics differ regarding the path to salvation?
Christians believe in original sin, and many Christians baptize infants.
I have never heard that sin is learned.
Christians preach directly out of the Bible.
Many Christians believe Mormons are not Christians.
Thanks to Catholicism we now have what you call Christianity.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:15 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
As Mooseketeer stated, Atheism is not a religion, and there is nothing to "practice".

Old 02-21-2011, 02:30 PM

321 posts, read 1,125,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Not all religions are centered around a belief in a deity. Atheism's guiding principle is that gods do not exist.
Atheism does not have a "guiding principle". The fact that we do not believe that any god(s) exist does not 'guide' how we live our lives.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
If one's belief in a God can guide one's life, so can one's belief that none exist.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:36 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
How could Catholics not consider themselves Christian?
I've never heard of a Catholic who did not also consider himself to be a Christian.

Quote:
How do Christians and Catholics differ regarding the path to salvation?
I think you must mean how do non-Catholic Christians and Catholic Christians differ? Unless I'm mistaken, Catholics do not believe we are saved by faith alone. Many other Christians do believe that.
Quote:
Christians believe in original sin, and many Christians baptize infants.
Some Christians believe in original sin; others do not. Some baptize infants; others do not. Some believe that baptism is a requirement for salvation; others do not.

Quote:
I have never heard that sin is learned.
I haven't either, but it's something worth considering. We do learn by mimicking what we see others do.

Quote:
Christians preach directly out of the Bible.
They may preach directly out of the Bible, but they do not all interpret what the Bible has to say the same way.

Quote:
Many Christians believe Mormons are not Christians.
That's beside the point. It's what God believes about Mormons that matters.

Quote:
Thanks to Catholicism we now have what you call Christianity.
I can go along with that.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:49 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,895,483 times
This is just silly. Atheism is not a life path. Secular humanism is, and many atheists become humanists, but not all. Stop trying to make atheism more than it is - it is nothing more or less than believing that there is no god(s) or deities. It has no other position. It does not offer a view of how one should live one's life. It is silent about the origin of the universe. Science has something to say about the origin of the universe and of species and many atheists are scientists, but not all.

So, if you are looking for a guiding principle, one has to go beyond atheism, because it offers none. If one is looking for a belief about how the universe began, one will not find it in atheism. Again, atheism ONLY means not believing in gods, that is it, end of story, period.

Most Buddhists are atheist by definition, yet they have their own guiding principles different from secular humanism.

Look, do you believe in fairies? No? Then you are an afairist. Is your guiding principle the disbelief in fairies? Tell me how does not believing in fairies guide your life, what moral decisions does it help you make? Does your afairism give you a cogent model of how the universe came to be and how we came to have the great diversity among living organisms?

Atheism is not a package deal. We atheists don't all believe the same thing. The only thing we all have in common is the disbelief in gods. Atheism is not a religion, period.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
I do not "practice" any religion..I am simply a believer in God the Father and His Son. No "practice" necessary, just faith and a spiritual awareness of the Son's presence in my life and in others.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:04 PM

397 posts, read 608,648 times
i was a Christian then i became a Muslim.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:43 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If one's belief in a God can guide one's life, so can one's belief that none exist.
The very fact that an atheist can deny the existence of supermaterial realities in and of itself demonstrates the presence, and indicates the working, of spirit synthesis and cosmic consciuusness in his human mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality