Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,917 times

Advertisements

Is it a one-way communication directed at God (as in a monologue)?

Or is it a two-way communication, to God and from God (as in a dialogue)?

Is prayer primarily about asking for favors and telling God how great and wonderful he is? Is it informal rather than formal, as in telling God about the cute guy/gal you saw today and how you are planning to get to know him/her better? And God, did you hear the one about ____? Or is it more business-like about things you need from him, and about appreciating Him and all he does for you and praising how powerful and mighty and wonderful he is?

How does he respond, directly or indirectly? Does he talk back in a language or symbols that you can understand? Or is it through actions that require interpretation but leave no doubt in one's mind that they are coming from Him and directed at you?

Any other thoughts are also appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Is it a one-way communication directed at God (as in a monologue)?

Or is it a two-way communication, to God and from God (as in a dialogue)?

Is prayer primarily about asking for favors and telling God how great and wonderful he is? Is it informal rather than formal, as in telling God about the cute guy/gal you saw today and how you are planning to get to know him/her better? And God, did you hear the one about ____? Or is it more business-like about things you need from him, and about appreciating Him and all he does for you and praising how powerful and mighty and wonderful he is?

How does he respond, directly or indirectly? Does he talk back in a language or symbols that you can understand? Or is it through actions that require interpretation but leave no doubt in one's mind that they are coming from Him and directed at you?

Any other thoughts are also appreciated.
The degree of interactivity is determined largely by your right brain sensitivity . . . since our consciousness is the transceiver that establishes a communication link with God between our sub-light level of being and His light-squared level of becoming. All communication is non-verbal (visual, tactile, etc.) and dependent upon our individual sensitivities. Bottom line, though . . . is that whether or not you perceive it as one-way . . . God is definitely participating. Our left brain bias can create roadblocks to perception by its over-dependence on the sensory system, per se.

As to your other questions . . . our relationship with God is entirely personal and individual. I suspect God would enjoy some relief from the constant whining, asking for favors, help, etc. that probably characterizes the usual prayer content. I make a point to relate "positives" eg., jokes, appreciation, casual banter about my life, etc. to strike a balance . . . pretty much the same as with my earthly father (and brother).

Old 04-05-2011, 10:10 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,917 times
Is prayer a placebo?

Old 04-05-2011, 10:33 AM

591 posts, read 641,233 times
It's an intimate, personal and sincere conversation with God. Taking time out and making public displays of how you pray is for showing off, and it's pretty creepy in my view.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:43 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Prayer doesn't work, but if it makes you feel better, well I guess that is benefit.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:06 PM

912 posts, read 826,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
It's an intimate, personal and sincere conversation with God. Taking time out and making public displays of how you pray is for showing off, and it's pretty creepy in my view.
I agree in part, but would say,

We are human. God or Creator would be what God is. There is an unavoidable recognition in this distinction while trying to.... or actualizing a communication in motion.

The practice of prayer is the opposite of ....showing off. The closer in comprehension to reality the more the prayer, as has been experienced and written about for centuries.

It is what prayer is.
Therefore, if anything the question in discusion of thread.... highlights the reality of ones
humble understandings .

in all..its a query which can be discussed without pompous self gain if approached within the mature reality of above . I never grow in-curious to this subject because of wondering if theres something that can be shared which opens the door to further consideration . Anyway its an interesting subject with lots of different idea's.

I think a complaint in general to any richness or value in prayer is most admirable. It express's a need & wonder at effecting, quality in existence . Our needs are very interesting.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 04-05-2011 at 02:06 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 01:53 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Prayer doesn't work, but if it makes you feel better, well I guess that is benefit.
What do you mean it doesn't work? How is it supposed to work?

Old 04-05-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What do you mean it doesn't work? How is it supposed to work?
Prayers don't get answered by any God( it can get twisted to the point of saying they were when you prayed to get well and you did, when actually that was just medicine and the bodies ability to heal). If anything they are merely to pacify and make feel better.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:42 PM

591 posts, read 641,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Prayers don't get answered by any God( it can get twisted to the point of saying they were when you prayed to get well and you did, when actually that was just medicine and the bodies ability to heal). If anything they are merely to pacify and make feel better.

Prayer for me has evolved over the years. I feel much more closer to him as I grow older, and I feel in closer contact with him. He gave me a great vision just last night. He is like a Father to me. He nags me to do things in a safe way. He loves me. I love it when he gets angry with me. His anger expressed towards me like a Father would a child is him communicating with me. I need for him to reap my soul. Some of the most powerful prayers are when you are in a very deep state of mourning. A state of spiritual death where you are at one with the deity of Christ. I reccomend public mourning to be sure. Very powerful praying in that state of mind.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
Prayer for me has evolved over the years. I feel much more closer to him as I grow older, and I feel in closer contact with him. He gave me a great vision just last night. He is like a Father to me. He nags me to do things in a safe way. He loves me. I love it when he gets angry with me. His anger expressed towards me like a Father would a child is him communicating with me. I need for him to reap my soul. Some of the most powerful prayers are when you are in a very deep state of mourning. A state of spiritual death where you are at one with the deity of Christ. I reccomend public mourning to be sure. Very powerful praying in that state of mind.
Like I said, what ever makes you feel better. I think you are interpreting dreams as something they are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality