Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 02:28 PM

912 posts, read 827,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
It is a waste of time, it only works to pacify some.

Sorry you can say God is real all you want, but without an iota of proof, not going to believe it. I don't feel anything from any God or any jesus. It is in your head, if you say it enough you will convince yourself and believe he is talking to you or you feel some sort of Love from him, it is a imaginary. But hey whatever it takes for some to deal with life is their issue.
Can't say God has ever talked to me like a person does... in words. Words are just words...as we well know. It would be necessary to comprehend a Source to this creation in order to follow with any sort of prayer. A Source which would comprise perfect order or as many say love.

The essence of prayer I believe associates ourselves in this comprehension and enhances further order... or what is called love in our becoming. This underlies in opinion the value to prayer....and encompasses a truer sense... the reality of our existence. Our imperfections in "perception" through human nature are lifted , enlightened in the innocent association with Perfection.

A restoration or enhancement of order.... Calm. Peace cannot be purchased or imagined.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 04-06-2011 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 03:01 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Yes I am, my mother is Catholic. Don't even try to tell me that the majority of prayers said are not for something to help themselves or someone. The lords prayer is not the only one said.
Prayer by rote is just a ritual ceremony, but utterly meaningless.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Blue Hue: So to you, prayer is similar to meditation? I agree that it's a good idea to just ruminate on what it will take for you to get it together, what needs to be taken care of and coming to terms with as much as possible. There is no need to inject any religion or spirituality into it.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:50 PM

912 posts, read 827,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Blue Hue: So to you, prayer is similar to meditation? I agree that it's a good idea to just ruminate on what it will take for you to get it together, what needs to be taken care of and coming to terms with as much as possible. There is no need to inject any religion or spirituality into it.
Agreed. No need to climb up on any pulpit. On my way to work appointment and will be back later this evening.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:12 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
If you think you are talking to Jesus or God, then you need medication. Even if there is/ was a god, I am certain he wouldn't talk to individuals.
Why? Because that's your experience?

Quote:
BTW it wasn't my experience, it is true, tell yourself something is true enough, then to you it will become true, even if it is not.
Does that not also apply to you?

Quote:
I was lucky enough to never be brainwashed or indoctrinated or "scared" into it.
So was I. Based on the evidence, I made a choice.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:10 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
In studies done in the past, most people pray to petition or make specific requests of God for something or for a favor. Fewer prayers are made to just say thanks.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
You think all prayers are spiritual prayers?
No, and I said so earlier.

Quote:
LOL Clearly you have not been around enough people. Just the other day a lady at work said she had been prying her car would get fixed, but she didn't have the money so she asked god for help. I hear it ALL the time.
The bolded is a spiritual prayer. "Give us this day our daily bread..."

Old 04-06-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
In studies done in the past, most people pray to petition or make specific requests of God for something or for a favor. Fewer prayers are made to just say thanks.
Exactly!

Old 04-06-2011, 06:46 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
I find it interesting that god does nothing but wants all the credit.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
I find it interesting that god does nothing but wants all the credit.
Said from a position of ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality