Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 04:08 PM

450 posts, read 557,679 times

Advertisements

note to self type slower

don't believe all religions object to same sex marriage

well I think jews, christains and muslims the 3 main ones are but it's not religion and this is what some from the gay community can't understand they seem to think that if you are against it then you are christian

I believe in islam being gay is death so you better hope islam doesn't become the majority. You better hope sharia law doesn't come to here either

jeff not illogical at all and jeff sorry pal but you're being very ignorant to other views here if you've been around the world and spoken to many then you wouldn't casually dismiss what I wrote.<sigh>
To you it is but not to others.
Believe me I have had conversations with some and they have said exactly the same points as gays.
you find it sick but that is what some are saying about being gay, to clarify I don't find it sick but don't want to see it or have it infront of me and do not believe you should get married because you want to be with the same sex.
If it was meant to be natures way you'd be able tol have your own kids

you don't have to be christian either to be against gay marriage I'm against for the reasons I stated , a line has to be drawn somewhere and I'm not anything religious

anyway take care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 06:45 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,781 times
Default God's Opinion on Homosexuality/Bisexuality

[/quote]
But in the end we're all entitled to our own opinions. The way I see it however is just so long as someone is loving and caring and is basically a good human being then it doesn't matter what their sexual preference is.[/quote]

First of all the bible says in 2Timothy 3:16 that ALL SCRIPTURE IS GIVEN BY INSPIRATION OF GOD, AND IS PROFITABLE FOR DOCTRINE, FOR REPROOF, FOR CORRECTION, FOR INSTRUCTION IN RIGHTEOUSNESS.

The bible clearly teaches in Proverbs 3:5 that we should not "lean on our own understanding" of the bible. Also, if we say we are true followers of God then God requires three things of us. In Micah 6:8 , the NKJV says :[b]He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you, But to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

I couldn't have read this post and just agree with it when you said that we are entitled to our own opinions and to say that it doesnt matter what a person's sexual preference is. God clearly wants all of his followers to worship him in sprit and in truth. Any sex outside of a heterosexual marriage is a sin--simple as that. A person can be gay, bi, lesbian, or straight, and if that person decides to have sex outside of a heterosexual marriage, then he or she is commiting fornication and/or an abomination. I am not stating my own opinion about th s topic nor am I judging or condeming anyone who is a christian who's still engaging in these acts.

But let's look at what God's opinion is about homosexuality/bisexuality. In Romans Chapter 1:21-32 clearly teaches what God's opinion is about any sexual immorality. You can read it for yourself and let the Holy Spirit convict you or not. There are many other scriptures that clearly give us God's opinion on sexual immoratily, Leviticus 20:13, Leviticus 20:15, Galations 5:16-21, and Ephesians 5:1-5.

As heavy as this topic is, I hear many christians argue that if all of us were perfect, we wouldn't need a savior. As truthful as that is, a person accepting Jesus Christ as his person savior gives him no right to HABITUALLY ENGAGE IN ANY SINFUL ACT. In other words, once you accept Jesus Christ as your savior, that doesn't give you a pass on habitually sinning and think that once you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior you have a pass to continue and sin. That is not what God's Grace is all about. It's the christian duty of all BORN AGAIN believers to Grow in God's Word and to Grow towards Sanctification. Also, out of our faith in Jesus Christ, it is then where God's Holy Spirit dwells in us and convicts us when we sin or do anything contrary to God's word. It is the Holy Spirit that allows us to thirst more for God and to want to study to show ourselves approved unto God as workmen who needth not be ashamed but rightly DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH 2:Tim 2:15.

If you say you are a christian and you are still doing the same sin habitually after 5 or 10 years of professing being a christian, then I think you should ask yourself what is still wrong with you that you haven't changed or stopped committing the sinful act. We are supposed to deny ourselves and put all of our trust in the Lord. To put it another way, we didn't die for our own sins, and knowing that, God tell us to walk in the Spirit, and if we can't walk in the Spirit then we are fullfilling the lust of the flesh as Galatians 5:16 states.

Last edited by antredd; 08-03-2007 at 08:12 PM..

Old 08-04-2007, 01:44 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,288 times
Forgetting for a moment about the Bible/Christianity, etc.

There is something that seems very unnatural to me about homosexuality, even before I was a Christian.

This is not politically correct, but I don't believe that this is the way humans were made to be, whether or not there is a God. My close cousin is gay and I love him, and we are close enough for me to express that to him. I respect him as a person, he has a good heart, he is intelligent, he is also extremely unhappy and confused now about his way of life.

I do not believe in gay marriage, yet I do believe that life partners should have "rights" as far as benefits, insurance, etc. as contradictory as that may sound, but gay marriage to me is just not something I personally believe in.

And getting back to the Bible, homosexuality is a sin. I have turned away from some of my sins, and have problem truly repenting of other's, and I give Hoosier a standing ovation for what he is doing and trying to accomplish.

The flesh is strong and hard to overcome, and I don't mean to be judging, but I think alot of the things I do and think are wrong as well in God's eyes, and I am and have been trying to turn away from my former self, it's not easy.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:01 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
The prejudice exhibited by some is staggering to me. I find it astonishing that some posters seem to equate bestiality with homosexuality for example. The mind quite frankly boggles at the sheer ingnorance and bigotry of it all. You don't like it fine, we get it. But why anyone thinks they have the right to legislate against it is beyond me. We should be encouraging Gay marriage. Gay marriage is not only the right and just attitude to equal rights but a way society can condone long term relationships between people who are often deemed to be promiscuous and immoral by some people. Gay marriages is saying we believe in love and want ALL human beings to enjoy a stable, "normal" relationship should they wish to.

I find it really shocking that some people who call themselves Christians have the gall to judge. As far as I am aware only god is the judge and you are supposed to show tolerance,love and kindness to others not treat them like freaks. Gay people are people. Some are good, some are not. Same for hetero or bi-sexual. Get off your sanctimonious high horse and start treating human beings with respect and as individuals. We have enough hatred and bigotry in this world without picking on people for what they do in their private lives. If it does not harm anybody what on earth is your problem ? Are you afraid it's contagious or something ? As for Gay people being overtly Gay in public, have you actually seen the way heterosexual people behave in public and the way some girls dress!! I would have thought "well thinking" Christians would find this pretty offensive too and it's a hell lot more prevalent than "overt" Gay behaviour. Just stop trying to impose your warped sense of morality on others and if the world offends you so much just stay indoors and pray to your god or go out and be Christ-like and start behaving in a Christian manner. For goodness sake we have hundreds of millions of people starving , being exploited in slave labour conditions everywhere, there is war, famine, horrors beyond most people's wildest nightmares, poverty,disease, human trafficking and you think Gay marriage is a big issue !!!??? What are YOU doing about it ?
Grow up people, what is truly offensive and a sin is the misery and horrors perpetrated against human beings, nature and so forth . Why don't you start trying to do something positive rather than whining and being judgemental about 2 consenting people loving one another.
You find being Gay offensive when the world is destroying itself. What a fantastic sense of proportion. Why don't you first get offended about all the horrors our civilisation is unleashing on one another before you decide to get upset about what people do in bed together !?
Sheesh !

Old 08-04-2007, 07:59 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
I do not believe in gay marriage, yet I do believe that life partners should have "rights" as far as benefits, insurance, etc. as contradictory as that may sound, but gay marriage to me is just not something I personally believe in.

WOW! I think lifesigns and I have something to agree on. Jot that down

Personally, I think that's all that homosexuals want. I don't think they care if you call it marriage or not. The only way they are allowed to get benefits is by one stupid word "marriage". So what? Let them call it whatever they want. After all, what it really boils down to me is an argument over a word. Call it marriage 1.5 for all I care. It's not right to deny people of their American rights based on a sexual preference.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:08 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,270,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have no problems with homosexuality as I see sexual preference as a natural , personal thing which has no bearing on the kind of human being you are. What people do in the privacy of their own lives is their own business as long as it does not harm anybody else. Being gay to me seems a lot more natural than being into S&M for example. Bi-sexualism is something I know very little about as I have only met one bi-sexual person so I don't feel I can say much about it but in a strange sort of way it seems the most logical of all sexual orientations as I would like to believe that we should fall in love with the PERSON and the personality rather than just than whether they have a penis or a vagina. I am only attracted to the opposite sex but once again what is right for me is not necessarily right for other people. As long as the person is a good human being , kind and decent I really do not feel I can judge them on the sex of their sexual partners. Love is the most important, we should stop being so hung up about people's sexuality and look for what is truly important in life. I want people to be happy , love and be loved. All of us want, need and deserve to find someone to love and who loves them back. I could not care less whether it is heterosexual or homosexual relationship. For example i would personally prefer my son to be Gay and in a stable loving relationship than to be heterosexual and promiscuous, sleeping around a lot.
Yes, yes, and yes again,

I agree with Mooseketeer on this one, whole heartedly.

At the risk of June sounding "way out there," I will add this:

I honestly feel that human sexuality exists along a continuum. On one end, you have people who are purely heterosexual, and the other end you have people who are purely homosexual. Somewhere in the middle, people are bisexual. What is going to sound "way out there" in what I am attempting to say is that I think human beings are also able, at times and given certain circumstances, to move within that continuum. While I am not exactly sure what accounts for this, I do know that both Kinsey and Masters & Johnson reported the same thing. Their research into human sexuality, (which I suspect is the best we have at the moment) seemed to support that notion. As a therapist, I can tell you that it is not at all impossible for a straight female who is "happily married with children" to develop erotic feelings towards her female therapist...I do not doubt that there are those individuals who have experienced, (usually much to their own dismay) such feelings. I think it is both the complexity of human relationships as well as situations and their complexity that somehow accounts for it...

Old 08-04-2007, 09:56 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,300 times
The original OP asked us, "I was just wondering what are your views on homosexuality and bisexuality? Do you see it as a sin or do you believe that it is okay?"

Because naturally, morally, spiritually, and ethically homosexuality, lesbianism, transvestitism, bestiality, pedophilism, etc. is a SIN. And violates God's laws just as other sins. It is a satanic wresting of the natural to a sickening unnatural. Come on think about it for a minute; are those filthy acts normal to you? No person was ever conceived by any of those practices.

People want to do whatever they want to do, and they don't want anyone telling them they can't. I happen to totally disagree with these practices. When I get the chance to speak with folks of that mind set I tell them the truth. Do I hate the people caught up in these practices? Of course not. I hate the practice of these perversions.

Some have attempted to claim this is prejudice. No, it's not. Many say I can't stand football or baseball is that being prejudice? No not at all. Do others not have the right to dislike something? Do we now live in a communist country? I think not. Some have said its "ignorance and bigotry." No thanks to the gays and gay friendly media most are very well informed about this.

Finally, we have, "But why anyone thinks they have the right to legislate against it is beyond me. We should be encouraging Gay marriage. Gay marriage is not only the right and just attitude to equal rights but a way society can condone long term relationships between people who are often deemed to be promiscuous and immoral by some people. Gay marriages is saying we believe in love and want ALL human beings to enjoy a stable, "normal" relationship should they wish to."

Are you kidding me? This is really how you feel? I believe it's attempting to be legislated against because its being jammed down our throats, and threatening the cohesiveness of the traditional family. There is no "special rights" that can be granted to gays; that's a myth. They have, and should receive, all the "basic human rights" as we do. It has nothing to do with "equal rights" that's a myth as well.

"Gay marriages is saying we believe in love and want ALL human beings to enjoy a stable, "normal" relationship should they wish to." No, it's about getting non-gay people to shut up and allow gays and others to do what they want even as destructive as it is, and to make it legal for these folks to practice their "lifestyle."

Old 08-04-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
The prejudice exhibited by some is staggering to me. I find it astonishing that some posters seem to equate bestiality with homosexuality for example. The mind quite frankly boggles at the sheer ingnorance and bigotry of it all. You don't like it fine, we get it. But why anyone thinks they have the right to legislate against it is beyond me. We should be encouraging Gay marriage. Gay marriage is not only the right and just attitude to equal rights but a way society can condone long term relationships between people who are often deemed to be promiscuous and immoral by some people. Gay marriages is saying we believe in love and want ALL human beings to enjoy a stable, "normal" relationship should they wish to.

I find it really shocking that some people who call themselves Christians have the gall to judge. As far as I am aware only god is the judge and you are supposed to show tolerance,love and kindness to others not treat them like freaks. Gay people are people. Some are good, some are not. Same for hetero or bi-sexual. Get off your sanctimonious high horse and start treating human beings with respect and as individuals. We have enough hatred and bigotry in this world without picking on people for what they do in their private lives. If it does not harm anybody what on earth is your problem ? Are you afraid it's contagious or something ? As for Gay people being overtly Gay in public, have you actually seen the way heterosexual people behave in public and the way some girls dress!! I would have thought "well thinking" Christians would find this pretty offensive too and it's a hell lot more prevalent than "overt" Gay behaviour. Just stop trying to impose your warped sense of morality on others and if the world offends you so much just stay indoors and pray to your god or go out and be Christ-like and start behaving in a Christian manner. For goodness sake we have hundreds of millions of people starving , being exploited in slave labour conditions everywhere, there is war, famine, horrors beyond most people's wildest nightmares, poverty,disease, human trafficking and you think Gay marriage is a big issue !!!??? What are YOU doing about it ?
Grow up people, what is truly offensive and a sin is the misery and horrors perpetrated against human beings, nature and so forth . Why don't you start trying to do something positive rather than whining and being judgemental about 2 consenting people loving one another.
You find being Gay offensive when the world is destroying itself. What a fantastic sense of proportion. Why don't you first get offended about all the horrors our civilisation is unleashing on one another before you decide to get upset about what people do in bed together !?
Sheesh !

Mooseketeer you wrote "I find it really shocking that some people who call themselves Christians have the gall to judge. As far as I am aware only god is the judge and you are supposed to show tolerance,love and kindness to others not treat them like freaks."

My respnse to this is first, I was asked a question and answered it with respectfully. Before I was a Christian, my views regarding homosexuality and bi-sexuality were the same. I had no idea what the bible said. Didn't know or care that being a Tarot Card reader was wrong as far as the bible goes BUT, now that I have read some of the bible, I see it in black in white what infuriates God, which is sin, and homosexuality, card reading, etc. is sin in God's eyes.

I am not saying that it is my opinon that homosexual will go to hell, I just felt it was unnatural. I can say that Tarot Card Reading, Homosexuality, and many other things that are too long to write are sins in Gods eyes as far as what is in the Bible.

I do advocate and believe that gay partners should have the same respect as far as health benefits, insurance, the right to make decisions if a partner is ill, and many more rights. If I were being judgemental about their lifestyle, I wouldn't feel that gays should have these same rights as my husband and I.

I am entitled to my opinion that seeing two women together or two men together has been something that doesn't seem natural.

I am also totally against the schools bringing in books for my kids and reading to them about "gay" families as if this was normal.

Daddy and Daddy books for my kindergartner is a big No No for me because my 5 year old needs to know that women and men are what I consider "normal". I don't care if that makes you or anyone else angry.

All of you have your opinions and rights, but when anyone who just happens to be a Christian honestly gives there answer, you jump on us like we are self-righteous . . . and that is not what it is at all.

If you don't agree, that is cool, cause I don't agree with you, but can accept that that is the way you feel. And as a Chrisitan, I am here to say that I have read that homosexuality is a sin in God's eyes, don't blame me, I'm not God, didn't write the book.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
WOW! I think lifesigns and I have something to agree on. Jot that down

Personally, I think that's all that homosexuals want. I don't think they care if you call it marriage or not. The only way they are allowed to get benefits is by one stupid word "marriage". So what? Let them call it whatever they want. After all, what it really boils down to me is an argument over a word. Call it marriage 1.5 for all I care. It's not right to deny people of their American rights based on a sexual preference.

It's jotted down, I have agreed with many of your posts, even though I am a B.R.C. (bible reading Christian),

In my house, and in my presence, I will not let anyone get away with bashing gays, making fun of gays, imitating, as I find that disrespectful. My kids are taught to love everyone and accept everyone.

Our dearest cousin is Gay, and he and my son email all the time, and he just visited. We had an open discussion, and my son told him he loves him, but doesn't like or agree with his lifestyle. My cousin was fine with that because he knows that no matter what he is, he is ours, and we love him just the same . . . and I have watched this lifestyle hurt him through the years in many ways, he comes here sometimes for a refuge, although he is not Chrisitian, he knows we are here with open arms. He even allowed my son to read him passages from the bible that talk about this.

In the past, I had a lifestyle as well that was not in God's will either.

I can even embrace an atheist. What I find a turn-off is people who are so hostile when someone gives their opinions or beliefs, it's okay to disagree, and debate heatedly about the topic, but to attack an individual's personal beliefs is wrong . . . my husband is agnostic, and I am still in love with him after all these years. Does this get in between us? Yes it does . . . but we are accepting of eachother and make it work.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:31 AM

One more thing, I agree with Marks, Gay Marriage is threatening the cohesiveness of the famly unit.

When will it stop. Recently in Orlando a woman was married by a minister to a male dolphi????????????????????????????????????????

Does anyone see that all this sexual promiscuity by gays and heterosexuals as well, and so many other things and rights to given to us has made us a society with no conscience. Just look at the news . . . everything is acceptable . . . . and look where it is getting us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality