Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:54 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This question itself is the epitome of all that is wrong with mainstream religion . . . the idea that we should rely on the written ignorance of our ancient ancestors to know the answer. We are responsible for learning and applying our own reason and understanding to answer such questions. Rape is not allowed because of what it is . . . not whether or not it is proscribed in some scripture. If you have not developed your agape love and understanding sufficiently to KNOW that it is wrong, period . . . then you are in spiritual trouble and no amount of hocus pocus filiocus or whatever will help you.

Absolutely agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 06:05 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
I remember when I was little, I was scared of the bible. I thought it had really bad things in it.

I was right.

It also has beautiful, beautiful things as well.
That's why we are supposed to rightly DIVIDE the word of truth.
Keep the baby, throw out the dirty bathwater.

Does it align with love? If it doesn't, you know what to do with it.

Those who "worship the bible" so to speak... well, it's no wonder there is so much confusion and hypocrisy coming out of their mouthes. What else is to be expected?

Why do you think Jesus said "You have heard it said... BUT I SAY.."
He came to correct our view.

Follow the spirit of love and you can't go wrong.

Break free of the darkness and look to the light. Look to love. Let love be your guide, for God is LOVE.

Well, that's just my .02 for what it's worth.
peace,
sparrow

Old 05-25-2011, 06:47 PM

869 posts, read 972,191 times
Identical words in all languages have different shades of meanings and nuances and can mean completely different things in different contexts. But of course to admit that would throw a wrench into the anti-religious jihad so that too is ignored in order to plow ahead. Absolutely hilarious!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:29 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Identical words in all languages have different shades of meanings and nuances and can mean completely different things in different contexts. But of course to admit that would throw a wrench into the anti-religious jihad so that too is ignored in order to plow ahead. Absolutely hilarious!
RESPONSE:

While there is some truth in what you claim, one can't generally reverse a clearly understood meaning by pretending it could have different meanings in "context." (This is sometimes referred as palying the "contest ploy.")

Rape remains rape.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
The Old Testament takes place in a world where all judgments are seen as being in this life and life is something of a struggle for survival. The enemy of the Jews, and indeed most cultures in that area I believe, commonly treated women as a commodity. Indeed even further afield the original Irish form of currency was, I believe, based on the price of a slave girl.

God demanded the Jews do many things unlike their neighbors and maybe he should have demanded they vary more here. Part of me wonders if maybe he did, but they decided "Well that's not going to happen, some of my men are going to steal women of our enemies and I can't plausibly stop that." So a bunch of rules at least assured she had a month or so to adjust to the idea and could be freed later. (Also a part of me thinks at times the people then just ascribed everything that happened to God, so were like "We won this war by burning down the villages children, huzzah God willed it so!" but that might be more heretical.)

Old 05-25-2011, 09:32 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Well feel free to explain this one....numbers 31:17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones,and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.18 But all the women children,that have not known a man by lying with him,keep alive for yourselves......

I would assume there is only one reason to keep a 'young female virgin alive for yourself'If you have a better explanation then God is telling Moses to tell his people its ok to 'know the virgins',who likely wouldn't be too willing after seeing their mom and baby brothers just put to the sword i'd be happy to hear it......

Old 05-25-2011, 09:51 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,006 times
Rape: (Lot offering-up his daughters to the unruly Sodom & Gomorroh mob, in order to spare his visiting angel freinds);
Mass Murder: (too many instances to recount, many of them perpetrated by the great Yahweh)
Incest: Also too many examples to list here, but Noah's daughters come to mind
Infanticide: The Great Passover
Fraticide: Cain & Able, of course
Genocide: Again, the great Yawheh, killing many, many who were not of the chosen tribe. And hell, sometimes even them, if they dared get ot of line.

Seems like just about anything is condoned if not downright encouraged in the Old Testament, as long as it's in the name of God!

Old 05-26-2011, 01:18 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
What the bible actually allows is not as important to the believer as what he believes the bible (or any other holy text) allows.

People tend to end up believing whatever they accept they want to believe.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:47 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This question itself is the epitome of all that is wrong with mainstream religion . . . the idea that we should rely on the written ignorance of our ancient ancestors to know the answer. We are responsible for learning and applying our own reason and understanding to answer such questions. Rape is not allowed because of what it is . . . not whether or not it is proscribed in some scripture. If you have not developed your agape love and understanding sufficiently to KNOW that it is wrong, period . . . then you are in spiritual trouble and no amount of hocus pocus filiocus or whatever will help you.
Best point so far.

Folks we need to remember that the Bible is a really, really, really old book. While many core teachings are excellent, there are tons of stories that are borderline crazy. One thing that has always occurred to me about the Old Testament: We are getting a MASSIVELY summarized version of events and a good number of things got screwed up in translation and years of transcription. Would the God I know reward a man who offered up his daughters to be raped in lieu of his house-guests? No, absolutely not! The story seriously stinks of clerical error IMHO. Did the God I know personally forcibly change Pharoh's mind by hardening his heart for him, thereby subjecting Pharoh and all of Egypt to greater and greater calamities and plagues? No, the very idea is contrary to everything I know of Him. It just doesn't fit. There are many, many more examples of this.

I cannot fathom why some are so sold on the notion that "the Bible is flawless, and God's perfect word." I've no doubt that the original works are legitimate, but yes there are errors. The real point of the Bible is not to be an all-inclusive encyclopedia of right and wrong, it's more important purpose is to tell the world about the one true God(s), who he is and how we can commune with him. The whole purpose in preserving the Bible is to point to the true source of infinite and infallible wisdom: God himself.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:27 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
(properly divide)More excuses for the Bible of 'take what you like and ignore the rest'
Rationalization is that the 'bad' things got " screwed up in translation and years of transcription" and "the written ignorance of our ancient ancestors "
But, by god! not 'your' interpretation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality