Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 11:39 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,525,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
Just a thought.... as obviously I'm not a Bible scholar... but...

What makes you think "the church The Bible was warning that Satan will try and lure people away from" was ONE CHURCH? Couldn't it have "possibly" been a foresight warning that was a very specific warning about non specific churches?

I mean for goodness sake... if the WARNING was made about something that would happen in the FUTURE... what is so far-fetched about the warning PERTAINING to "CHURCHES" that existed in the future?
I understand your point, but there was only one Church established by Christ. The modern problem is to determine which one today is that Church. As Jeff rightly points out, the Church is not a denomination, building or sect. If there wasn't any debate as to the correct Church, there wouldn't be Baptists, Methodists, or Catholics.

As an example. IF I left the Methodist Church for the Baptist Church, would Satan have been successful in luring me from the Church? The Methodist and the Baptists can't both be correct; otherwise, they would be one church.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:43 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I understand your point, but there was only one Church established by Christ. The modern problem is to determine which one today is that Church. As Jeff rightly points out, the Church is not a denomination, building or sect. If there wasn't any debate as to the correct Church, there wouldn't be Baptists, Methodists, or Catholics.

As an example. IF I left the Methodist Church for the Baptist Church, would Satan have been successful in luring me from the Church? The Methodist and the Baptists can't both be correct; otherwise, they would be one church.
I don't have a problem with thinking of the denominations as different "churches". I think that Baptists, Methodists, Assembly of God, etc. are all Christian. We just have minor differences and different worship styles. I attend the church that I'm most comfortable with. I don't think you need to be a part of a specific denomination to get to heaven, only submit your life to Christ and you are a part of HIS church.

Hope that made sense.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:47 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,733,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Let's take a breath here and take this point by point. Did I ever, at ANY point, say I "met with an Army recruiter and ASKED him about Mormon soldiers"?? No, I certainly did not. I happened to be sitting by him in the terminal. He said hello, I mentioned my nephew who is bravely serving in the Army, and we got to talking. We talked about how recruiting changes during wartime. That led to where he works and who he felt made the "best" soldiers. You think I wasn't surprised at his remarks? I was stunned. This guy was a piece of work. As I said in my last post, he made other remarks I chose not to include. I only mentioned this one after reading Stephen's comments.

Are we clear now? We won't learn anything from each other by putting words into each other's mouths or making these sarcastic remarks without basis.
I’m glad you didn’t initiate the discussion about Mormons, and am glad you were stunned by his remarks. But the eagerness with which you repeated his remarks indicates you are willing to accept them to some degree. If I hear a rumor I don’t believe in, I certainly don’t repeat them in a public forum. Actually, I try not to repeat rumors at all.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:56 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,634,713 times
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I’m glad you didn’t initiate the discussion about Mormons, and am glad you were stunned by his remarks. But the eagerness with which you repeated his remarks indicates you are willing to accept them to some degree. If I hear a rumor I don’t believe in, I certainly don’t repeat them in a public forum. Actually, I try not to repeat rumors at all.
So, not only are you unwillingly to take responsibility for your mistake and apologize, you chastise my bringing it up at all, calling it a rumor? I was merely repeating this man's statement. Eagerness? How do you measure my degree of reticence or eagerness from my post? LOL!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:30 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
Just a thought.... as obviously I'm not a Bible scholar... but...

What makes you think "the church The Bible was warning that Satan will try and lure people away from" was ONE CHURCH? Couldn't it have "possibly" been a foresight warning that was a very specific warning about non specific churches?

I mean for goodness sake... if the WARNING was made about something that would happen in the FUTURE... what is so far-fetched about the warning PERTAINING to "CHURCHES" that existed in the future?
Thank you Desiree!
The Bible is full of non specific predictions.
I also dont recall saying it was in the Bible.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
So, not only are you unwillingly to take responsibility for your mistake and apologize, you chastise my bringing it up at all, calling it a rumor? I was merely repeating this man's statement. Eagerness? How do you measure my degree of reticence or eagerness from my post? LOL!
Well I was also attacked for saying something that did not shed a favorable light on the mormons, but was a true incident that happend to us.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Well, there is a problem with that, Miborn, because none of those religions existed at the time the Bible was written. There were Christians of Christ's Church, which was administered by duly appointed Apostles, and there were Jews and the rest. So, if none of those religions existed at the time of the Bible, the Bible wasn't talking about them.
I believe what I said was this.
I think it might fall into the anti Christ thought. If I am remembering correctly. The anti-Christ is suppose to be very clever and able to lure good people under the giese of religion away from the other religions.
Thanks.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Yes if someone said something to me that was obviously over the top and inappropriate, I would not repeat it. I interpreted your tone as being almost gleeful to report what this man said.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,634,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Yes if someone said something to me that was obviously over the top and inappropriate, I would not repeat it. I interpreted your tone as being almost gleeful to report what this man said.
Almost gleeful......gosh, I'm at a loss. I wish I had that discerning ability regarding email/written word and the author's intent. Darn it, there I go using the same sarcasm I questioned in your post. My mistake.

Also my mistake is taking you for the moderator here. I didn't realize you were just here as another "civilian". As such, of COURSE you are entitled to your opinion. My real beef was your mistake about my encounter with the recruiter and your subsequent refusal to apologize or take it back once I pointed it out. Instead, you fan the flames. I'm not sure what your reason is for doing so.

I'm sorry we got so sidetracked. I appreciate the way Sarge answers with so little vitriol. I will try and do the same with my future posts and questions.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Almost gleeful......gosh, I'm at a loss. I wish I had that discerning ability regarding email/written word and the author's intent. Darn it, there I go using the same sarcasm I questioned in your post. My mistake.

Also my mistake is taking you for the moderator here. I didn't realize you were just here as another "civilian". As such, of COURSE you are entitled to your opinion. My real beef was your mistake about my encounter with the recruiter and your subsequent refusal to apologize or take it back once I pointed it out. Instead, you fan the flames. I'm not sure what your reason is for doing so.

I'm sorry we got so sidetracked. I appreciate the way Sarge answers with so little vitriol. I will try and do the same with my future posts and questions.
I apologize for misinterpreting the tone of your post. I did not say you were “almost gleeful,” only that that was my interpretation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality