Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 10:44 PM

79 posts, read 99,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud_mormon View Post
Get a life and stop talking about Mormons, go to the church and pray and see for yourself if this is true or not, You guys have NO right to be Judging other people and their religions.
...you do realize you bumped a 4 month old thread...
People were done talking about Mormons until you bumped this

Old 05-22-2010, 08:27 PM

6 posts, read 6,982 times
I am working through my postgraduate studies and was pleasantly interrupted one day by two charming LDS Elders. They gave me a Book of Mormon, which I read. It is a fictional account of a period of American history from 600 BCE to 400 CE. I think the LDS should drop this oddly cobbled together fiction and pick up the Lord of the Rings as a more worthy alternative. Their present Prophet could chuck in a few chapters of Isaiah, add a few bits of the 4 Gospels, change a few names and voila a new improved Book of Mormon is created. I am sure that is how Joseph Smith did it.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:59 PM

6 posts, read 6,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud_mormon View Post
Get a life and stop talking about Mormons, go to the church and pray and see for yourself if this is true or not, You guys have NO right to be Judging other people and their religions.
Have you read the Bible and the LDS canon? Within those texts there are clear directions on testing religious practice. Read more and stand up for what you believe. I believe that the LDS books; the Book of Mormon and the Book of Abraham are works of obvious fiction. It is for you to give a clear and reasoned testimony why the LDS use fictional accounts of the history of the US circa 600BCE to circa 400CE through the Book of Mormon and a fictional account of Abraham through the Book of Abraham. Kind regards GrahamC

Old 05-22-2010, 09:08 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
From what I know of it it describes Hebrews settling in the Americas complete with the domestic animals Jews had. This is pretty much impossible because if that occurred there should have been traces of those animals, and the diseases they carry, in the New World at the time of Columbus or the Viking. However there was no such animals or diseases in Pre-Columbian America.

Now possibly one could argue it's an exaggeration of an actual event. That the actual amount of Lamenites, etc was really far smaller than it might imply. Maybe it was no larger than the population of Vikings at L'Anse Aux Meadows. Or possibly it could be valid as an allegory rather than as a literal history. However the idea of American Indians as having Jewish ancestry, which I believe is Mormon doctrine/dogma, is IMO pretty obviously not true.

Still there are some very good Mormons out there and one of them really helped me out once when I was a complete stranger. So if the Book of Mormon makes them better people okay. Just as long as they don't expect me to believe it's plausible as history.

As for Smith himself I don't know him or his motivations. I think it's certainly possible he was going through something and the Book of Mormon allowed him to say what he needed to say about religion. I guess that implies he was lying, in so much as it's saying he knew no guy named Mormon or ancient civilization was involved, but not all lying represents the same kind of insincerity or motivation. Thomas Chatterton claimed some poems he wrote were from the Middle Ages because he lacked the confidence, or something, to believe people could accept him as a poet. Many of the values I think Smith placed in the work are good values. I think they might even relate to moments he felt inspired in a religious or spiritual sense. However maybe he felt they needed the authority a claim of antiquity could bring. Or maybe he was deluded and believed they were in some sense ancient. Who is to say?

Mormons sometimes claim that attitudes like this is because the BoM is new, but I don't think that's true in my case. It's more that the BoM seems to rest on a claim that can easily be refuted by archaeology and genetics. Now if I'm wrong on that, and belief in literal Jewish tribes in the New World is not important to believing in the BoM, than I'll concede the BoM is not any different than books written by the founder of Baha'i or the Pentecostal movement or whatever.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 05-22-2010 at 09:21 PM..

Old 05-23-2010, 07:09 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,244,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamC View Post
I am working through my postgraduate studies and was pleasantly interrupted one day by two charming LDS Elders. They gave me a Book of Mormon, which I read.
You read the entire thing?

Quote:
It is a fictional account of a period of American history from 600 BCE to 400 CE.
LDS don't hold that it's fictional, and there are plenty of reasons to think twice about just presupposing it is.

Quote:
I think the LDS should drop this oddly cobbled together fiction and pick up the Lord of the Rings as a more worthy alternative.
By all means, please elaborate.

Quote:
Their present Prophet could chuck in a few chapters of Isaiah, add a few bits of the 4 Gospels, change a few names and voila a new improved Book of Mormon is created. I am sure that is how Joseph Smith did it.
But that doesn't explain how he managed to sneak in so many ancient Near Eastern literary and lexical conventions (like Bethlehem being a part of the "land of Jerusalem"). It doesn't explain how numerous names long asserted to be silly inventions by Joseph Smith have turned up in ancient Hebrew and Aramaic inscriptions and onomastica. It also doesn't explain the correlation between specific Old World sites unique to the Book of Mormon and the Book of Abraham and recently excavated areas. Lastly, it doesn't explain how 30% of the lexicon of the Uto-Aztecan family of languages can be shown to be influenced by Afro-Asiatic and Semitic languages.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:09 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,244,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
From what I know of it it describes Hebrews settling in the Americas complete with the domestic animals Jews had. This is pretty much impossible because if that occurred there should have been traces of those animals, and the diseases they carry, in the New World at the time of Columbus or the Viking. However there was no such animals or diseases in Pre-Columbian America.
It doesn't describe many domestic Near Eastern animals, but some of the names do overlap. However, that doesn't at all mean they were the same species. People tend to name things in new locales after familiar things.

Quote:
Now possibly one could argue it's an exaggeration of an actual event. That the actual amount of Lamenites, etc was really far smaller than it might imply. Maybe it was no larger than the population of Vikings at L'Anse Aux Meadows. Or possibly it could be valid as an allegory rather than as a literal history. However the idea of American Indians as having Jewish ancestry, which I believe is Mormon doctrine/dogma, is IMO pretty obviously not true.
But there are DNA markers found most prominently in Near Eastern (and specifically Jewish) populations found in Native American blood, and a large Native American family of languages can be shown to have significant Near Eastern influence. "Pretty obviously not true" is, by itself, a fallacy.

Quote:
Still there are some very good Mormons out there and one of them really helped me out once when I was a complete stranger. So if the Book of Mormon makes them better people okay. Just as long as they don't expect me to believe it's plausible as history.
So far I've seen nothing in your argument that supports your assertion that it's implausible.

Quote:
As for Smith himself I don't know him or his motivations. I think it's certainly possible he was going through something and the Book of Mormon allowed him to say what he needed to say about religion. I guess that implies he was lying, in so much as it's saying he knew no guy named Mormon or ancient civilization was involved, but not all lying represents the same kind of insincerity or motivation. Thomas Chatterton claimed some poems he wrote were from the Middle Ages because he lacked the confidence, or something, to believe people could accept him as a poet. Many of the values I think Smith placed in the work are good values. I think they might even relate to moments he felt inspired in a religious or spiritual sense. However maybe he felt they needed the authority a claim of antiquity could bring. Or maybe he was deluded and believed they were in some sense ancient. Who is to say?

Mormons sometimes claim that attitudes like this is because the BoM is new, but I don't think that's true in my case. It's more that the BoM seems to rest on a claim that can easily be refuted by archaeology and genetics.
By all means, provide these refutations.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:43 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
But there are DNA markers found most prominently in Near Eastern (and specifically Jewish) populations found in Native American blood, and a large Native American family of languages can be shown to have significant Near Eastern influence. "Pretty obviously not true" is, by itself, a fallacy.
Do you have a non-Mormon source to cite on this?

From what I can tell American Indians tend to be in Haplogroup Q and C3B. Q can be found in Yemenite Jews, but both groupings are largely Central Asian. Haplogroup J, G, H, & E (which seems to be more found in Jews) are not common among indigenous Americans. Where they do occur it can be explained through intermixing with whites in the last five centuries. There is some evidence of bodies with "white" haplogroups in Labrador and Washington state, but these are dated from 6,000 BC or earlier so too early for what is suggested in the BoM.