Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:22 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I totally agree with you when that happens. However, the other side of the picture must be shown.
When a young college lady in some class simply says that abortion is wrong (freedom of speech, right?) as expressing her views and she is sent for sensitivity training is wrong.
When a little elementary school girl take her Bible to school to read at lunchtime and a teacher takes it away and takes her to the principal for doing so is wrong also.
Please give citations for these. I'm betting they're either outright false, or that you've only heard about them through second/third/fiftieth-person FW: FW: FW: FW: type emails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 03:55 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I believe you agree will have reached an impase. We have differences in our perceptions. Agains, thanks for the response, take care.
Forget perception. Stick to the facts. I adumbrated mine. I am agog to hear yours.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:10 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you when that happens. However, the other side of the picture must be shown.
When a young college lady in some class simply says that abortion is wrong (freedom of speech, right?) as expressing her views and she is sent for sensitivity training is wrong.
When a little elementary school girl take her Bible to school to read at lunchtime and a teacher takes it away and takes her to the principal for doing so is wrong also.

Those are just a few examples of what also happens of people that believe in the Bible and God. Would you show the same outrage? I would hope so because if not then your points have no value. That is what zealots on the other side of the issue do just as the zealots you mention, take care.
Listen, I agree the PC thing can be a bit over the top at times. If a woman is in a class and the entire class is discussing both sides of the abortion topic, she could state that, absolutely. I believe in freedom of speech 100%, even if I don't agree with what some people say. If a child took her bible to school to read quietly, not trying to "save" people, sure, absolutely. These are basic rights, and these examples don't infringe on my rights at all.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
If a child took her bible to school to read quietly, not trying to "save" people, sure, absolutely.
I would go so far as to argue that a student not only has the right to read their Bible, they have the right to proselytize to their hearts content as long as it isn't disruptive in the classroom.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I would go so far as to argue that a student not only has the right to read their Bible, they have the right to proselytize to their hearts content as long as it isn't disruptive in the classroom.
OK, but you have to sit there and listen to them...

Old 09-29-2011, 11:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
OK, but you have to sit there and listen to them...
I don't think so.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:32 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,399,139 times
believe or not believe this is the drama in a man's trama, maybe the religio-brand it's just a human affair the real spiritual sense inside is far-away from all kind of religions................almost it seems

Old 09-30-2011, 09:07 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Please give citations for these. I'm betting they're either outright false, or that you've only heard about them through second/third/fiftieth-person FW: FW: FW: FW: type emails.
You see, you made a general statement to support your claim without any supporting evidence, now I make the same type of claim and you right away dismiss them as false. I tell these stories I have personnaly read about them in the news not by the the assumptions you claimed. Sure, you ask for proof but with the preconception that they are false. If you are really open minded, YOU need to go and look it up. I never questioned your point because it is true and I have seen and not allow biases to blind the other side of an issue.

Also, how about the VA cemetery supervisor in I believe San Antonion that wrote a letter that I believe the words Jesus and God cannot be said in prayers at military funerals. Also, as I was driving I heard in the news where a teacher in some school was prohibiting children to say God Bless you when someone sneezed because it was offensive. With your attitude you will also dismiss as hearsay? Probably based on how you wrote your reply. Your mind is made up, take care.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:11 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Forget perception. Stick to the facts. I adumbrated mine. I am agog to hear yours.
Well, you can deny it all you want. You cannot escape being human with perceptions, biases, etc. Psychological studies do prove how personal views are affected thus logic is affected. To you it is logical, your facts are the correct ones, etc.

Remember what Mark Twain said about facts? Take care.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:24 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
You see, you made a general statement to support your claim without any supporting evidence,
For which supposed "claims" of mine would you like citations? I'd be happy to oblige if I knew what you were talking about.

Quote:
now I make the same type of claim and you right away dismiss them as false.
No, I asked you to substantiate them so I could be better informed. That's what logical people do. We don't take anecdotal evidence thrown willy-nilly into a conversation as true. So, support your claims or I'll have to simply dismiss them as hearsay.

Quote:
I tell these stories I have personnaly read about them in the news not by the the assumptions you claimed.
Really? Which news source? You do realize that many sources are wildly unreliable and prone to twisting the truth to fit their agenda. This is why I'd like sources for your claims. That way, I can compare them to the other statements about the same stories and make an informed decision whether or not they're bullcrap.

Quote:
Sure, you ask for proof but with the preconception that they are false. If you are really open minded, YOU need to go and look it up.
I'd like to see the sources YOU are quoting. If I was intending to dismiss your claims outright as lies, I'd tell you "You're lying" and not bother to ask for citations.

Quote:
Also, how about the VA cemetery supervisor in I believe San Antonion that wrote a letter that I believe the words Jesus and God cannot be said in prayers at military funerals.
Again, I'd like to see the source you're pulling this from. My instant suspicion would be that it was ruled that those words aren't spoken if the soldier being buried wasn't xtian. If that's the case, that's a logical and fair rule to make.

Quote:
Also, as I was driving I heard in the news where a teacher in some school was prohibiting children to say God Bless you when someone sneezed because it was offensive. With your attitude you will also dismiss as hearsay? Probably based on how you wrote your reply. Your mind is made up, take care.
I read that story, and there is indeed more to it than just a teacher being an arsehole about a religious phrase. In fact, having read many different reports of this story, it turns out that the students in question were fake-sneezing very loudly, and others were then responding with the phrase in question. The teacher stated that he would deduct points for this type of disruption, and that's what he did. He also provided a learning experience to his students by teaching them the history of the phrase.

The outcome from this is that students ARE allowed to say "bless you" in that school, but if they are being disruptive about it, then they will be properly disciplined, just as if they were disruptive with any OTHER phrase in the classroom.

See what a little research can get you? Don't just believe the first story you read because you want to feel like you're being oppressed or persecuted. Find as much of the whole story as you can and make your own judgment. Don't rely on the opinion of someone with a bias, because frankly it just makes you look foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality