Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 01:00 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

That it is the word of God?

That it is inerrant?

That it is true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,592 times
Most fundies will quote 2 Timothy 3:16.

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17that the man of God[a] may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Of course they completely dismiss the scholarly view that Paul never even wrote 2 Timothy and what we have in the english language bible is different than what was written originally.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
That it is the word of God?

That it is inerrant?

That it is true?
1 Thessalonians 2

13 And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Yes, but the "word of God" hadn't been compiled into a Bible at that time, so doesn't refer to it. It was "heard" verbally.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:08 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,046,043 times
Even from Timothy - the scripture they were talking about was the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Tanakah from Hebrew. It's the version they were using, quoting and considered inspired (the whole 72 translator coming to the same conclusion thing)....

Of course - this then excludes the Hebrew versions, the Greek New Testament, etc.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:02 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
1 Thessalonians 2

13 And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe.
But Paul is talking about his own revelations and teachings, not the scripture of the time.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:06 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
The JW tract that as thrust into my hands a few months go also claims their word is The Word.
Moderator cut: deleted I want an honest answer here. As in: does the bible tell us that?

Last edited by june 7th; 10-03-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 10-03-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Yes, but the "word of God" hadn't been compiled into a Bible at that time, so doesn't refer to it. It was "heard" verbally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
But Paul is talking about his own revelations and teachings, not the scripture of the time.
It is considered Holy Scripture now, so what's your point?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
It is considered Holy Scripture now, so what's your point?
Well, I have to ask what's yours? If this is written by Paul talking about his own revelations, how is that the word of God?

I imagine you will say that his revelation is true and thus it is the word of God.

I suppose that it wouldn't make any impression on that view to point out that Paul revised his arguments , misrepresents scripture and makes a lot of fatuous arguments.

Or would you accept that Paul had a revelation from God (Jesus actually, but you'll probably say that is the same thing) but he used his human brain to think and teach based on that.

But if so, is that the word of God too or is only some of the bible the word of God and some the word of men?

Love to hear your views on this.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Well, I have to ask what's yours? If this is written by Paul talking about his own revelations, how is that the word of God?

I imagine you will say that his revelation is true and thus it is the word of God.

I suppose that it wouldn't make any impression on that view to point out that Paul revised his arguments , misrepresents scripture and makes a lot of fatuous arguments.

Or would you accept that Paul had a revelation from God (Jesus actually, but you'll probably say that is the same thing) but he used his human brain to think and teach based on that.

But if so, is that the word of God too or is only some of the bible the word of God and some the word of men?

Love to hear your views on this.
My point was the answer the OP. Your point seems to be something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality