Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 07:05 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Christianity and Hinduism are idolatrous; Judaism and Islam are not idolatrous.
Interesting comment, but it doesn't address my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 07:08 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Interesting comment, but it doesn't address my question.
By definition, idolatrous beliefs/believers can not be close to G-d.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
As a Christian I would likely agree that the Jewish and Islamic conception of God is more distanced than ours or even the Hindus with their avatars.
OK, so someone agrees with my observation.

To the Jews and Muslims, do you feel your god is always guiding you through life and will protect you when necessary?

To the Hindus and Christians, do you feel your god is always guiding you through life and will protect you when necessary?

Yes or No answers will suffice, but of course you can say more.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
By definition, idolatrous beliefs/believers can not be close to G-d.
By your definition, Christians may not be close to god, but, from my observations, they sure feel close to their gods.

The golfer Payne Stewart died wearing a WWJD (what would Jesus do) bracelet. The football player Tim Tebow is always asking his god for guidance. My Christian friend is always passing our little momentos with crosses on them. Something seems to motivate Christians.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:52 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Quote:
Islam and Judaism appear monotheistic, but they also seem like social clubs where the adherents just have to follow a bunch of rules. I wonder if their members think their god is as close and personal to them as Jesus is to the Christians.

Since I am an Atheist, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I really am curious what you all think.
No...you "don't have a dog in this fight." But your various postings seem to hint at some pretty strong biases. I do notice that you've added Muslims to the list--apparently, you don't have use for another religion besides Judaism.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
No...you "don't have a dog in this fight." But your various postings seem to hint at some pretty strong biases. I do notice that you've added Muslims to the list--apparently, you don't have use for another religion besides Judaism.
Maybe in your next post you will actually address the question I posed.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:45 AM

939 posts, read 1,025,160 times
Quote:
I wonder if polytheism helps people feel closer to their god.

Christianity and the Hindu religion both seem polytheistic to me, and their members seem to be very close to their gods. Christians feel they have Jesus constantly walking beside them and guiding them. All I know about the Hindus is that Ghandi prayed to his favorite god Rama as he was dying, so Gandhi must have felt very close to him.
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what Christianity is. Christianity is monotheistic. We believe in 1 God--and only 1 God.

Having said that, yes...Christianity is the only one of the 4 that teaches that we can actually KNOW God. Or that God wants to KNOW us. Romans states that God foreknew some of us -- specifically using the Greek term proginozco -- or "for - know". The Biblical form of "knowing" someone is a very intimate, very close relationship. We are also able to call God our "Abba"...translated "Daddy". It's a very familiar, close relationship.

The other 3 do not have that. islam, in particular, teaches a very distant, very judgmental God. Hinduism teaches a multiple of gods--some you can create yourself. Judaism does worship God the Father...but has an incomplete understanding, where He is more distant--similar to islam.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:05 AM

Thanks for your post, Theo. You explained your point of view very well.

I have never been a Christian, but I have lived in America for all of my 66 years and I have observed how Christians behave.

You seem to treat Jesus and god differently. You mention the 'love of god', but you also mention god's anger and wrath and judgement. On the other hand, you only talk about the love that Jesus has for you and you sing songs like, "Jesus loves me, this I know".

I once heard Billy Graham say, "Once you accept Jesus into your heart, god can't remember your sins." It sounded like he was treating Jesus and god as two separate entities. By the way, I think Billy Graham is a truly great person because he has helped so many people live better lives.

I think I can understand why so many people are attracted to Christianity. Islam must also be very appealing, and I wish someone would explain why.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:13 AM

939 posts, read 1,025,160 times
Quote:
Thanks for your post, Theo. You explained your point of view very well.

I have never been a Christian, but I have lived in America for all of my 66 years and I have observed how Christians behave.

You seem to treat Jesus and god differently. You mention the 'love of god', but you also mention god's anger and wrath and judgement. On the other hand, you only talk about the love that Jesus has for you and you sing songs like, "Jesus loves me, this I know".
God is an infinite being--he is infinitely Holy, Loving, and Just. He must judge sin--so yes, he does have wrath.

Jesus, who is God the Son, not a different God, not a "son" as in being born...but the 2nd person of the Trinity--fully God himself, became flesh and died on the cross in our place. We deserve to be punished in hell for eternity for our sin--but Jesus, being the infinite God-Man was able to satisfy the wrath of God.
Quote:
I once heard Billy Graham say, "Once you accept Jesus into your heart, god can't remember your sins." By the way, I think he is the greatest person alive because he has helped so many people live better lives.

I think I can understand why so many people are attracted to Christianity. Islam must also be very appealing, and I wish someone would explain why.
The Bible doesn't really say that we should "accept Jesus into our heart"...that's kind of a way of saying that if we believe and trust in the sacrifice of Christ, we will be saved.

Christianity is the only one of the 4 that says that God took a step to save us--that it's not up to us to be good and work our way to him----because he did it all to reconcile us to him.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
Christianity is the only one of the 4 that says that God took a step to save us--that it's not up to us to be good and work our way to him----because he did it all to reconcile us to him.
Good point, Theo.

Like I said, I think I can understand why Christianity is so appealing.

By the way, I have heard about the "wath of god", but have you ever heard someone mention the "wrath of Jesus"?

The closest thing I have heard is where John Mellencamp sings, "I learned the fear of Jesus in a small town." I had never heard the phrase "fear of Jesus" before that time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaF5Lsrl4f8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality