Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:01 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
same thing.

But even using the OT alone I can prove Jesus is the Messiah--and the Messiah is God.

It is not the same thing.

The Hebrew Bible is the Tanakh and the Bible of the Jewish people. It was in existence before the Christian scripture and had its scholarly tradition and understandings.

The Christian Bible is the Old Testament that takes books from the Hebrew Bible and adds on the New Testament.

These books are very different and have very different understanding depending if you are Jewish or Christian.

They are not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 02:03 PM

939 posts, read 1,024,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
It is not the same thing.

The Hebrew Bible is the Tanakh and the Bible of the Jewish people. It was in existence before the Christian scripture and had its scholarly tradition and understandings.

We use the Torah. Jesus is your Messiah. He is a Jewish man.
Quote:
The Christian Bible is the Old Testament that takes books from the Hebrew Bible and adds on the New Testament.
???
Quote:
These books are very different and have very different understanding depending if you are Jewish or Christian.

They are not the same.
Example please?

I know that my Old Testament is in a bit different order than your texts...but we have the same texts.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:10 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
We use the Torah. Jesus is your Messiah. He is a Jewish man.

???

Example please?

I know that my Old Testament is in a bit different order than your texts...but we have the same texts.

Do you not understand that Judaism has its own Bible that is NOT the Christian Bible that we have used since before there was Christianity?

Jesus studied the Jewish Torah. There was no Christian Bible.

Jesus is not my messiah, I am Jewish.

Our Tanakh had its own understanding before Christianity existed. Is that really hard for you to understand?

Torah
Neviim
Ketuvim

Make up the Tanakh ie Jewish Bible.

Not the Christian Bible, not even close.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:44 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
But even using the OT alone I can prove Jesus is the Messiah--and the Messiah is God.
You can't if you use a Jewish translation of the Jewish Bible and not a Christian interpretation masquerading as a translation.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
There are the many differences between the Christian version of the Jewish Bible and the Jewish version of the Jewish Bible:

According to Rabbi Marc Gellman of G-d Squad fame, "One of the most important things to understand when quoting the Bible (the Hebrew Bible or the Christian Testament) is that it was not written in English. This means you're not only reading a translation from Hebrew or Greek, but you're also often reading an interpretation masquerading as a translation."

As an example of this "interpretation masquerading as a translation", further quoting Rabbi Gellman, "The Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible (and the text used by Jerome to translate the Bible into Latin in the 4th century), famously translates the Hebrew verse 'and behold a young woman shall give birth' as, 'and behold a virgin shall give birth.' The Hebrew word for virgin is betula, but the word used in Isaiah 7 is alma, which just means a young woman. Obviously, if there was a verse in the Hebrew Bible predicting that a virgin would give birth, this would indeed be a stunning prediction and proof text of Jesus' virgin birth. Unfortunately, for Christians who want this to be the verse, it is not the verse."

Old 12-02-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
There are the many differences between the Christian version of the Jewish Bible and the Jewish version of the Jewish Bible:

According to Rabbi Marc Gellman of G-d Squad fame, "One of the most important things to understand when quoting the Bible (the Hebrew Bible or the Christian Testament) is that it was not written in English. This means you're not only reading a translation from Hebrew or Greek, but you're also often reading an interpretation masquerading as a translation."

As an example of this "interpretation masquerading as a translation", further quoting Rabbi Gellman, "The Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible (and the text used by Jerome to translate the Bible into Latin in the 4th century), famously translates the Hebrew verse 'and behold a young woman shall give birth' as, 'and behold a virgin shall give birth.' The Hebrew word for virgin is betula, but the word used in Isaiah 7 is alma, which just means a young woman. Obviously, if there was a verse in the Hebrew Bible predicting that a virgin would give birth, this would indeed be a stunning prediction and proof text of Jesus' virgin birth. Unfortunately, for Christians who want this to be the verse, it is not the verse."
I don't use Jerome's Vulgate.

Having said that, the word used for "virgin" could mean a young woman of marriage age. I'm aware of that. It is interesting though, the reaction that Mary had when she was told she'd have a baby...she knew she hadn't been with a man. She was perplexed over it. You can try to spin it any way you want...but it doesn't work.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
It is interesting though, the reaction that Mary had when she was told she'd have a baby...she knew she hadn't been with a man. She was perplexed over it. You can try to spin it any way you want...but it doesn't work.
And, your source for Maryam's (Mary in Greek, Miriam in English) reaction?

Old 12-02-2011, 03:34 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
Quote:
Mary's reaction in the new testament is actually irrelevant to the argument being made, which (if I'm reading it right) is this: the Book of Isaiah doesn't actually refer to a virgin, but just a young woman. In the more correct Hebrew Torah translations, it remains a young woman. In the falsified Christian version, it turns into a virgin.

But the fact remains that there is no prediction or prophesy of a virgin giving birth, and do it doesn't matter what Mary was, and it isn't "proof" of Jesus in the old testament.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
The Gospel accounts. They are excellent historical references.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:08 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Thomas, where do you see any disdain in what he said?

Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan
G-d is G-d and there is only one, true and indivisible G-d.
Context, there's a context to things. Before that he said "Christianity and Hinduism are idolatrous; Judaism and Islam are not idolatrous" and "The worship of Jesus of Nazareth is idolatrous at it violates the 2nd Commandment prohibition against worshiping other than the one, true G-d." So in context that was another statement about Christians not being monotheist, despite what we claim, and so forth.

Quote:
Honestly I see more disdain in what you responded to him.
Well that strikes me as weird, but you certainly have a right to perceive as you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality