Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:24 PM

88,550 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Nope. You need to get it that "Allah" is Arabic for English "God". In other words, "Noah's God", "Abraham's God" and "Moses' God". Oh, and when Arabic Muslims pray in Arabic, they pray to "Allah". They don't become Muslims for that.

And Arabic Christians say "Allah", as well, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 05:24 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
OK, so someone agrees with my observation.
That might be overstating it. As a Christian I believe God having been man allows for a greater connection/understanding, but in the things you say after this I don't know that it's relevant.

I think Muslims and Jews do or can feel God is guiding them, etc. I stated that I feel both can emphasize a deep connection to God. I meant more that Christians, and maybe Hindus, focus a bit more on God's loving and understanding them/us.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:59 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,938,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Most Hindus consider themselves monotheistic.

What, you say????!!!! A religion with 365,000,000 gods?????

A careful, non-prejudiced, and thorough study of Hindu theology and cosmology reveals that all of the Hindu "Deities" and "Avatars" are merely aspects of a single unified God-head.

Many Hindus also believe that Siddhartha Gautama - The Buddha - was the latest Avatar of the god Vishnu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post

Hinduism teaches a multiple of gods--some you can create yourself.
Wrong. You do not understand Hinduism. You should not comment on something you know nothing about ... it makes you appear to be the fool.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:37 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
The Gospel accounts. They are excellent historical references.
They are religious but not very historically accurate.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:21 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
By your definition, Christians may not be close to god, but, from my observations, they sure feel close to their gods.

The golfer Payne Stewart died wearing a WWJD (what would Jesus do) bracelet. The football player Tim Tebow is always asking his god for guidance. My Christian friend is always passing our little momentos with crosses on them. Something seems to motivate Christians.
Muslims pray nearly every conscious moment of their life. each thing we do Begins with "Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem" (In the name of God, the beneficent, the most merciful) We pray before and after each action. although most of our prayers are personal and in our own words, many common Du'as are pretty much said by all of us.

An error many non-Muslims make is in assuming our only prayers are our 5 Very formal obligatory prayers, which are more like a Worship service and not a simple prayer. Du'as come closer to the Christian concept of prayer and these we are praying nearly non-stop. Our entire day is spent as a conversation with God. Not only in word but in actions and thoughts. Even our Songs (Nasheeds) are prayers.

Here is a page of my favorite Nasheeds.

Nasheeds

A listing of some of the most common Du'as and when to say them can be found here:

Collection of Many Dua

Although there are many lists of suggested Du'as we feel the best du'as are those we say in our own words and with sincerity and understand them to be our personal conversation with Allaah(swt)

There is a saying that we often mention, "Allaah is closer to us than our own jugular vein"

We do not believe Allaah(swt) is present on earth, but we do believe he knows all we say to him and that he does answer all prayers. We do not believe we always get what we ask for in prayer, but get what we need and what is best for us. If it happens to be the very same thing we are asking for, that only makes it more enjoyable. but the fact is we often do not know what is best. However we place full trust Allaah(swt) will give us exactly what we need at the time we need it.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:34 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,721 times
Very well stated, Woody!

What if you need guidance in your life or you are faced with a difficult decision? Do you pray to your god to guide you? Will your god help you make the right decision?

How about if you are tempted to do something you know is wrong? Do you ask your god to give you the strength to resist the temptation?

I'm guessing a Christian would definitely answer Yes to these questions.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:51 PM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Christ is God.
Christ was a man just like any other.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Quote:
What if you need guidance in your life or you are faced with a difficult decision? Do you pray to your god to guide you? Will your god help you make the right decision?

How about if you are tempted to do something you know is wrong? Do you ask your god to give you the strength to resist the temptation?
A Torah-observant Jew would look to the Bible and its 613 Mitzvot (Commandments), as well as the Talmud (Oral Torah) and rabbinic writings, as well as prayer.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:07 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
Very well stated, Woody!

I'm guessing a Christian would definitely answer Yes to these questions.
Yes we do pray constantly for guidance, and to gain strength to overcome temptation. While we do not believe God(swt) is part of or within the world we believe he is in full control and capable of changing what ever he desires. We do believe he knows each of us personally and knows us even better than we know ourselves. We see no need for him to come into what he has created as he can do all things with just a thought and no need to become part of earth. He only need to say for something to be and it is.

Does the owner of a goldfish need to dive into the bowl to feed the goldfish?

Old 12-03-2011, 09:26 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
A Torah-observant Jew would look to the Bible and its 613 Mitzvot (Commandments), as well as the Talmud (Oral Torah) and rabbinic writings, as well as prayer.
Great answer, Walt.

So a Jew would look at reference books to learn how to address a problem. Maybe that is why Jews stress education so much.

I bet a Christian would simply ask his god for an answer.

Big, big difference!

Last edited by hiker45; 12-03-2011 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality