Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:43 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Good point, Theo.

Like I said, I think I can understand why Christianity is so appealing.

By the way, I have heard about the "wath of god", but have you ever heard someone mention the "wrath of Jesus"?

The closest thing I have heard is where John Mellencamp sings, "I learned the fear of Jesus in a small town." I had never heard the phrase "fear of Jesus" before that time.

"Small Town" by Mellencamp - East Aurora, NY - YouTube
Good point. I'll concede that we do speak differently regarding the 3 persons of the Godhead. They are all fully God, but they do have some different roles. Of course, they're all the same God, so they share the same attributes of Love, Holiness, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 10:50 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Christianity and Hinduism are idolatrous; Judaism and Islam are not idolatrous.
Well, Jews have been seen banging their heads against a "holy wall" and Muslims running a circle around "rock from Allah".

Old 12-02-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Christianity and Hinduism are idolatrous; Judaism and Islam are not idolatrous.
Christians worship 1 God -- the God of the Torah. No other God. As for islam...do you really think allah is the same God as YHWH?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:08 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
Christians worship 1 God -- the God of the Torah. No other God. As for islam...do you really think allah is the same God as YHWH?
I think that when Walter said Islam is not idolatrous, he meant that they don't worship idols. He wasn't talking about the relative merits of Allah. (And I find it hard to believe that you didn't know what he meant).

As to what Christians do, I've always been fascinated by the concept of the Holy Trinity. Unless I'm very much mistaken, "trinity" indicates three. Could you please explain how anyone could possibly worship one and three gods at the same time?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Allah is Arabic for "God".

Old 12-02-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think that when Walter said Islam is not idolatrous, he meant that they don't worship idols. He wasn't talking about the relative merits of Allah. (And I find it hard to believe that you didn't know what he meant).

As to what Christians do, I've always been fascinated by the concept of the Holy Trinity. Unless I'm very much mistaken, "trinity" indicates three. Could you please explain how anyone could possibly worship one and three gods at the same time?
There is only 1 God, but 3 persons are within that Godhead. They are all of the same essence of God...but not 3 separate Gods.

We can prove from Scripture that all 3 are persons....that all 3 are God. We also know that only 1 God exists.

The Council of Nicea hammered it out pretty well,

First Council of Nicaea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The council of Chalcedon then hammered out the divinity of Christ--again, very relevant to the nature of the Trinity.

Council of Chalcedon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Allah is Arabic for "God".
Not quite. allah is a name for their god...some say he is the God of the Torah...but he really does have some different characteristics.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Not quite. allah is a name for their god...some say he is the God of the Torah...but he really does have some different characteristics.
Nope. You need to get it that "Allah" is Arabic for English "God". In other words, "Noah's God", "Abraham's God" and "Moses' God". Oh, and when Arabic Muslims pray in Arabic, they pray to "Allah". They don't become Muslims for that.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:55 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
We can prove from Scripture that all 3 are persons....that all 3 are God.
Christian Scripture, not Scripture.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Christian Scripture, not Scripture.

same thing.

But even using the OT alone I can prove Jesus is the Messiah--and the Messiah is God.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
same thing.

But even using the OT alone I can prove Jesus is the Messiah--and the Messiah is God.
Let's see the proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality