Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times

Advertisements

It's sport...If you have a spiritual life and some knowledge of religion - You can re-educate them..they really hate that when you tell them you are Jesus....lol...or hint at the fact that every man and woman is the saviour of the world..Once they figure out that you are miles ahead of them..they retreat and usually never come back -

When these folks go out hunting for prey..they like you to be slightly stupid and lonely..makes for quick conversion..Funny - these door to door people actually think that everyone is an infidel and only they have the answers...I kind of get a kick out of Jehovahs witnesses the most...There was a time not long ago when they excluded Jesus Christ from their teachings - Now for some strange reason Jesus is back in the picture!

So I ask them - "Why is it when I was a kid that the local Jehovahs dispised the sign of the cross as if it was a dagger...and did not look at Jesus as a saviour of the world...? But now you are mentioning him - so what was the temporary fireing of Jesus all about anyway?" - they get into a muddle over that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 10:43 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
lol

But did you see him being put into the car? I have NO IDEA why I find this intruiging!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Northstar, they're trying to avoid religious people, and instead are preying on the weak - those with no faith. And they hit the 'jackpot" when they find a Jew who somehow slipped through the cracks and never received a proper Jewish education.

I'd love to hear from folks here who have been a part of the door knocking brigade, but am i right when I speculate you get double points for landing a Jew?
Why do you assume those with no faith are weak? I am an atheist, and my views are very strong. I was actually raised fundy Christian, and I deconverted after examining the evidence for and against god/gods. Since my deconversion, I have began examining the teachings of other religions, and it is obvious that they are all human constructs. The fact that so many religions exist is one of the strongest evidences that a theistic god does not exist.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:53 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,549,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Why do fundies continue to knock on doors when it's obvious people -- including those who are religious -- hate it and feel it is an invasion of their privacy? What are you guys hoping to accomplish?

I would say it's similar to sales people. It's a numbers game. They figure if they knock on 100 they will eventually get a yes.

That's just my guess. I never was a good sales person.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:55 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,549,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Why do you assume those with no faith are weak? I am an atheist, and my views are very strong. I was actually raised fundy Christian, and I deconverted after examining the evidence for and against god/gods. Since my deconversion, I have began examining the teachings of other religions, and it is obvious that they are all human constructs. The fact that so many religions exist is one of the strongest evidences that a theistic god does not exist.

How did what you just said apply to my quote?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:58 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,724,719 times
I suppose if you just tell pushy religious people who come knocking at your door that you are a satanist and invite them to attend a satanic ritual, they'll just go away and not bother you again.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:03 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
How did what you just said apply to my quote?
I think he was referring to one of my quotes.

I thought athiesm IS a faith, no? You just pray to the non-existing god, correct? Seriously though, I have seen athiests with very strong convictions for what they believe, and so you are NOT what I was referring to when I said the faithless are weak.

I think of the faithless as those who spend most of their mental energy watching reality tv, playing Wii and the such.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:04 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,724,719 times
I sometimes run into somewhat of the same problem at bus terminals. The people I encounter seem to be fundamentalist Christians.

They usually begin by asking me if I went to church on Sunday.

I respond by telling them I don't go to Church on Sunay but instead go to the mosque on Friday. I then tell them I don't listen to infidels!

I usually works.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:47 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,225,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
I've done quite a bit of door-knocking the last 20 years and I've never asked anyone if they've "found Jesus".
I suppose everyone has their own opening line.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:01 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,225,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
I suppose if you just tell pushy religious people who come knocking at your door that you are a satanist and invite them to attend a satanic ritual, they'll just go away and not bother you again.
I was getting ready for an appointment one morning when a group of fundy women knocked on my door. I opened it and they started their sales pitch.

At the time, I had butt length hair and had on a black dress, pantyhose and heels. Anyway, I listened for a few seconds and then explained that while I would love to sit and debate their god vs mine I didn't have time as I was going to a coven meeting (dr's appt ) and since I was the high priestess I couldn't be late.

I never knew a bunch of old ladies could run that fast! Never saw them again either !

Old 12-09-2011, 04:30 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
[<Grin!>] My wife has told them that she was on her way to a "Fire-Ritual", with much the same effect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality