Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 12:46 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Are obervant Jews the same as Orthodox Jews? Or Hassidic (not sure the spelling on that)?

Are you?

Yes, Observant Jew, or Torah Observant Jew is just a precise way of saying Orthodox Jew. And yes, those terms would describe me.

Hassidic (or Chasidic) Jews are Orthodox Jews who follow the teachings of one of the students of an 18th century Rabbi named the Bal Shem Tov. The Chasidic Jews are the ones with long peyes (curly sideburns hanging from their temples), and they often have other easily identiable manners of dress. My synagugue has a mixture of Chasidic, Litvish (decended from a Lithuanian Jewish tradition) and more modern Orthodox Jews. But often you will find synagogues that are more homogenous than mine.

Quote:
What are your thougths on "Reform Jew?"
Hey, a Jew is a Jew. The reform Jews are just teeming with potential to become more Torah observant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 01:03 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,225,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I actually don't have a major problem with this, but I know that some people do.

In my area, the people who do this most commonly are Jehovas Witnesses. For the past several years, I actually open the door to them, let them do their thing, and then they go on their way. It usually takes about 5 minutes.

I know this isn't for everyone, I am just sharing what I do.

I have friends and family who handle this all sorts of ways...

From hiding and not answering the door(lol) to confronting them with their own beliefs.

I've never been confronted by a friend or co-worker who was overy insistent on talking about their beliefs, but I have heard stories.

My only experience was with a Born Again Christian, who I worked with, but she didn't ever try to have a one on one conversation with me, and her behavior never really bothered ME.

But, it did bother other people at the office. I actually found it somewhat entertaining and a bit amusing. (sorry I have a warped sense of humor sometimes)

You see, the owner of the company was Jewish, the office manager was Jewish and our immediate supervisor- the controller, was also Jewish.

It's where I first learned the expression "Holy Roller" among other things.
Even some of the Christians were annoyed by her.

She played Christian on her desk radio all day, and walked around like "Mary Sunshine", which irritated one co-working with a sardonic nature.

How do you handle such things?
Telling them that I would love to debate the merits of their religion vs mine usually sends them running. They seem to have this misconception about Pagan's being bloodthirsty heathens that border's on comical.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:39 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Any person who shows up at my door and throws the term "save me" in my face will listen to a few choice words they probably weren't expecting to hear, followed closely by the sound of the door being slammed shut.

Not everyone believes they're in the decidedly second-rate position of actually needing to be "saved," according to someone else's ideas about the way things should be.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:05 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,549,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Telling them that I would love to debate the merits of their religion vs mine usually sends them running. They seem to have this misconception about Pagan's being bloodthirsty heathens that border's on comical.

lol Do you have some plastic fangs that you could put on when they come around?

Old 12-08-2011, 05:02 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,225,524 times
Quote:
lol Do you have some plastic fangs that you could put on when they come around?
Nope, no fangs!

Another way to get them to leave is when they ask you "have you found Jesus" ask them "why, did you lose him?"

So far, that one's never let me down!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:27 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times
Quote:
True. There are definitely cases of taking advantage of "the system", and that's wrong. I am tempted to point out that it's not only religious folk that do that. But, I am sure you are ready know that. And "well they do it too" is certainly no argument.
Oh yes, everyone tries to find exceptions to the system. Theists in no way have the monopoly on that. However when someone wants an exception one should look at their reasons for it. The theist reasons simply are not valid. The person who showed up late because of traffic, a mere 5 minutes, should have been granted an exception. The Jewish people who could not be bothered to sit the exam on the right day because their imaginary Jew God says so.... not so much. For example.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Oh yes, everyone tries to find exceptions to the system. Theists in no way have the monopoly on that. However when someone wants an exception one should look at their reasons for it. The theist reasons simply are not valid. The person who showed up late because of traffic, a mere 5 minutes, should have been granted an exception. The Jewish people who could not be bothered to sit the exam on the right day because their imaginary Jew God says so.... not so much. For example.
I just want to be sure I'm clear on the intent of your words. So you're saying that a Jew who observes the Sabbath properly, and therefore cannot write, or drive on that day each week, has no right to do so? And if a "test" happens to come along on the day of the Sabbath, the Jew must suffer the consequences of not taking that test?

Funny, but I would say you are correct. I've been faced with this situation more times than I can count in my life. And guess what, each time, I follow the words of Hashem, even if there "appears" to be negative consequences for doing so.

There are many types of tests in life - some literal, some less literal. It's what strengthens the individual's character. I wonder what type of character your godless moral compass leads you to?

Old 12-09-2011, 09:14 AM

939 posts, read 1,025,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Nope, no fangs!

Another way to get them to leave is when they ask you "have you found Jesus" ask them "why, did you lose him?"

So far, that one's never let me down!
I've done quite a bit of door-knocking the last 20 years and I've never asked anyone if they've "found Jesus".

Old 12-09-2011, 09:52 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Why do fundies continue to knock on doors when it's obvious people -- including those who are religious -- hate it and feel it is an invasion of their privacy? What are you guys hoping to accomplish?

Old 12-09-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Why do fundies continue to knock on doors when it's obvious people -- including those who are religious -- hate it and feel it is an invasion of their privacy? What are you guys hoping to accomplish?
Northstar, they're trying to avoid religious people, and instead are preying on the weak - those with no faith. And they hit the 'jackpot" when they find a Jew who somehow slipped through the cracks and never received a proper Jewish education.

I'd love to hear from folks here who have been a part of the door knocking brigade, but am i right when I speculate you get double points for landing a Jew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality