Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 07:42 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If the state runs an example for children and that exam falls on a certain day, then that is when the children have to do it. There can of course be exceptions to this on valid grounds like health and so forth. But making up an imaginary friend and pretending that friend has an objection to the exam scheduling... no way... no how.... no thanks. You do not turn up: You fail. Simple as.
I find your viewpoint fascinating. Is this a typical view for athiests? Your viewpoint, in fact, is almost exactly the same viewpoint the Russians held towards the Jews throughout the 20th century. That, however, was a calculated effort to destroy the Jewish community. And they nearly accomplished their goal in Russia. They jailed parents who refused to send their kids to public school on Saturdays, for instance. Many wonder who was worse to the Jews during the 20th century: Hitler or Russia. I think it's a close call. So I find it interesting that you would place your viewpoint in the same "class" as Hitler and Russia.

Quote:
Are you implying that you need to have a religion to be moral? There are atheists and non-religious people with high moral standards and religious people who do incredibly immoral things. I won't go through the classic list because it's always highly debated (Hitler, Einstein, etc.) but it's pretty safe to say there is a lot of good and evil that happens both in the name of religion and independent of religion.
I apologize. I said what I said out of frustration. I agree with your point above, that it is not necessary to have religion to be moral, and that many who wear their religion on their sleeves are not moral. I'm good with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I've never had anyone actually come knock on my family or my door! Do people actually do that? Is that a regional thing?

I'd probably just laugh at them and say "oh hell no" and shut the door. That crap is just silly. Go be religious if you want, but don't go around shoving it in people's faces. I definitely stand up for myself if someone is getting all preachy to me out of the blue.

I don't swear or get angry, I normally just respond to the questions and try to make them feel as upset and uncomfortable as I possibly can. Turn the tables back on them and see how they like it.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:21 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I find your viewpoint fascinating. Is this a typical view for athiests? Your viewpoint, in fact, is almost exactly the same viewpoint the Russians held towards the Jews throughout the 20th century. That, however, was a calculated effort to destroy the Jewish community. And they nearly accomplished their goal in Russia. They jailed parents who refused to send their kids to public school on Saturdays, for instance. Many wonder who was worse to the Jews during the 20th century: Hitler or Russia. I think it's a close call. So I find it interesting that you would place your viewpoint in the same "class" as Hitler and Russia.
Are you joking?? What the hell...

That's one of the most twisted answers to statement I've ever seen, and honestly it's creepy that's where your mind went. There's no rationale.

I can understand the original statement that saying you're going to do something or react to things based on what your imaginary friend says can be seen as an example of how religion works - but who the hell turns that into Russian and Nazi aggression towards Jews??? If you're going to respond to the original question, respond to the original question. Don't just throw the door shut and toss out some crazy passive aggressive answer.

I think statements like that are why so many more and more people are turning away from religion. Historically around 10% to 15% of Americans have been non-religious. Studies have all found that in the past 20 years it's suddently started skyrocketing for younger Americans. Today over 40% of young Americans define themselves as non-religious. We're catching up to Europe and the rest of the western world in that regard.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:39 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
I find your viewpoint fascinating. Is this a typical view for athiests?
I don't know. Ask them. I do not speak for all people who call themselves atheist. We have no doctrines or dogma on what an atheist has to say, do or think.

Quote:
They jailed parents who refused to send their kids to public school on Saturdays
If you do not send your child to school on the proper days in Germany today you are also liable to have the police calling to your door.

Godwin's law I am afraid. Comparing my position to Nazis or Russians is pointless. I used a recent example of Jews solely because it was fresh in my mind as it is relatively recent in Ireland that it happened. However my position has nothing to do with Jews and comparing me to nazis solely because the example I used involved a Jew is pretty weak as a link. Alas that is the kind of hyper sensitivity people have about talking about the Jews. A sensitivity I do not share. I attack the Jewish religion just as equally as I do any other.

My point is more general than that. My point is simply that if there are established rules and laws in place on something then I do not see religion as being a valid reason to be excepted from those laws.

If the law is that children should be schooled and someone is not sending their child to school then of course I would suggest sending the authorities over to find out why.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:36 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
The point I was making, is your suggestion that religious Jewish children have a choice, either abaondon their faith, or keep their faith but pay severe consequences, is identical to the official policy of the Soviets in the 20th century. The soviets essentially wiped out an entire nation of Jews with this policy. And so your advocating a similar intolerance squarely puts you in the same category as the muderous Soviets, who were no better than the Nazis. It's not my fault for pointing out that your viewpoints mirror those of the Soviets, who purpotrated one of the biggest ethnic cleansings of modern hitory with exactly the policy you advocate. If that makes you feel uncomfortable - don't get mad at the messenger... change the message.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:10 PM

377 posts, read 1,063,122 times
Well we have a warped sense of humor and have done several things when people have come to the door, among them: answered the door stark naked and another time my husband wore a viking hat with horns and frizzy blond hair and red lipstick and started playing the guitar and singing the rod stewart song " if ya think im sexy" . Both times they just said like ohh and left.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:14 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
Well we have a warped sense of humor and have done several things when people have come to the door, among them: answered the door stark naked and another time my husband wore a viking hat with horns and frizzy blond hair and red lipstick and started playing the guitar and singing the rod stewart song " if ya think im sexy" . Both times they just said like ohh and left.
OMG. I totally want to come to a dinner party at your house.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Are you joking?? What the hell...

That's one of the most twisted answers to statement I've ever seen, and honestly it's creepy that's where your mind went.
Oh well now! I'm not so sure. There ARE those similarities. Oh, and by the way. Did you know that Hitler and Stalin (and Satan, for that matter!) all had two legs each? (looking askance at Chicago60614's legs and narrowing lips tightly)

They also liked playing games when they were kids. Did YOU like playing games when you were a kid? And they both had pets. (I don't think I need to say it, but chances are you owned a pet at one time too, Chicago.)

Also...now wait for it, because this really IS the clincher on all the many, many similarities between "your" viewpoint, and being a dictator/genocidal maniac...are you a man? Because (pausing dramatically) Hitler and Stalin were BOTH MEN.

Yeah. Sorry, bud. You're busted! I can see how Youse Nashunul You-nited Atheists have your mass Christian-jailing and torturing agenda! (wagging finger) For shame.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:08 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
The point I was making, is your suggestion that religious Jewish children have a choice, either abaondon their faith, or keep their faith but pay severe consequences, is identical to the official policy of the Soviets in the 20th century. The soviets essentially wiped out an entire nation of Jews with this policy. And so your advocating a similar intolerance squarely puts you in the same category as the muderous Soviets, who were no better than the Nazis. It's not my fault for pointing out that your viewpoints mirror those of the Soviets, who purpotrated one of the biggest ethnic cleansings of modern hitory with exactly the policy you advocate. If that makes you feel uncomfortable - don't get mad at the messenger... change the message.
Again a very poor response. Pointing out mild similarities between two groups is not the same as saying their message is the same. Do you believe we should have taxes on the public? Well so did the Nazis therefore if you think we should have taxes then your policy is the same as the Nazis.

See how ridiculous this line of.... "reasoning" is? It is just a pointless cop out of dealing with what I am saying by making a false comparison that allows you to cop out of actually answering what I say.

Again my policy is just that if laws and rules are in place in our society then making up an imaginary friend is not an excuse to be exempt from those laws.

If for example you are summoned to court and you said "Sorry I did not show up, I was playing golf that day" then you will be prosecuted. If you say "Sorry I did not show up, I was praying on my sabbath" then I do not see this as any more valid an excuse than the golf.

Personal faith is fine with me, but it is not an excuse to be exempt from the rules all the rest of us have to follow. Essentially what I am arguing for is equality. If you think what the Russians and Nazis historically were arguing for was equality then you need to go back to the school you were in and ask them to change their history teacher because he failed you massively.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:53 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
When they come to the door to promote their religious beliefs to me, I just politely tell them that I already know what they believe and I have my own beliefs and that ends the conversation. Now, pushy in my life would be a friend, a daughter and wife of a minister. She likes to talk about "Jesus" and desperately wants me to become a Christian so that I will be "saved" but, after years and years, she is trying to accept that my belief is not going to change and that in believing in God and following the Golden Rule, perhaps, just perhaps, I am not totally lost. I can agree to disagree but anyone that is too pushy gets pushed permanently to the curb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality