Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:04 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Funny thing is...I can laugh about this reading that this is how you handle it. But, if my husband were to behave like that, I'd be mortified! It's just mean!!!
I tried being nice, but they wouldn't go away and stay away. Then I started to remember that this is MY house. Then I started to feel insulted to think somebody would have the gall to come to my door assuming I hadn't heard the "news" and say something like, "Have you heard the good news?" So by that time, I was getting angry as well as intruded upon, so I quit being nice. My wife might not be as direct about it as I am, but she is glad the intruders go away and don't come back. It's been this way for 17-18 years now. It could really get to be fun when I turn into a grumpy old man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 10:08 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
When they come knocking on my door I say, I'm not interested but my neighbor is really interested in religion.
They then look at the house and walk on over.
I wait on the porch.
They knock on the door and he answers.
They exchange greatings then they all turn and look at me waving and saying “hellow”" to my neighbor.

He is a catholic priest.

For some reason I find this very entertaining.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:09 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I do believe Christians do not follow the teachings of Jesus(as). while I tend not to proselytize my beliefs on a personal one to one basis. If somebody comes to my door and wants to speak about God(swt) they will hear my views and why I left Christianity and believe as I do.
Interesting. And from what I understand the Christians believe that of the Catholics, who think they too are Christian.

And I will continue trying to figure out where I fit in.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I turn on the sprinkler system and watch them through the window.

Is it wrong that I am laughing and your's and kitty's posts??

Old 12-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
If it were not for the fact some people would believe me and use it to vilify Islam I would put a sign on the door that reads:

SUICIDE BOMBER AT WORK. PLEASE KNOCK LIGHTLY TO AVOID PREMATURE DETONATION.

But there are idiots who actually believe we are brain washed to be suicide bombers and are out to gain access to 72 virgins in heaven.

Although in my pre Muslim years I did have a pet 8 foot boa who I used let sun himself in the front porch window. for some reason in the 5 years I lived in that house not one person ever knocked on my door.

I didn't know about the 72 virgins. It all makes sense now!
(sigh) Humor is always risky these days, isn't it?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I find it presumptuous and rude for people to try and sell me their religion, as if I couldn't get one on my own.
Quote:
Interesting. I don't see it that way, but, I find he way you put it well said.
In the rare instance that they catch me outdoors and more than a few paces from the garden hose, I just tell them I've already got plenty of religion and don't need any more, thanks.

If they persist, then I tell them to get the hell off my property. Now.
Yikes! Are you aiming the hose in their direction when you say that?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I didn't know about the 72 virgins. It all makes sense now!
(sigh) Humor is always risky these days, isn't it?
Sadly, humor has become quite dangerous. There are always some who see satire, parody, and sarcasm as fact.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:26 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Open the door, look very confused then say "where are the balloons, where are the flowers, where is the TV crew, where's the check ............... oh hell, you ain't from Publishers Clearing House" and shut the door

Old 12-06-2011, 10:30 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm a person of faith, but I really get annoyed by the door-to-door types.

I did make an exception once for a couple of Mormons. It was January, 1985, during one of the coldest winters on record. The Bears were destroying somebody in the playoffs and I had a bunch of guys over to watch the game.

Halfway through the 1st quarter, I hear a knock at the door and it was a couple of Mormons. These two guys looked miserable. They were practically shivering at the door. They started their spiel and I stopped them, saying I already had my own church, thank you.

However, upon reflection, I said, "As long as you guys don't preach to us, do you want to come in and watch the game?" The guys exchanged glances, shrugged and came in and hung out for a couple of hours and ate pizza. They couldn't drink beer, but I scrounged up some lemonade. They thanked us and left.
I had a similar experience on a very hot July day, lol!!

Good for you

Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I had a similar experience on a very hot July day, lol!!

Good for you

There's a funny movie called Orgazmo that starts with a similar premise heh heh! It's from the South Park people, but I'm not sure if it was released prior to their South Park fame or not....

On a serious note, the two guys probably appreciated that very much. It probably gave them a nice break..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality