Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manss View Post
who instruct Christians to use this meat at first? whereas in Jesus time nobody ate pig's meat.
I think context is important here, as well as understanding geography.

There is not merely a prohibition against pork, but rather a prohibition against certain classes of animals. If you look carefully, you will see that you can divide the classes of animals into two distinct groups:

1] scavengers; and

2] disease carriers

Scaleless fish like catfish and gar are scavengers. They can ingest heavy metals like mercury, arsenic salts or chromium salts. Other scavengers, like carrion eaters can pass diseases to humans.

The disease carriers like pigs and birds can also pass diseases. Swine flu and avian flu are nothing new to humans. They've been around for thousands of years. One way to prevent swine flu is to not raise pigs. It's just that simple.

Anyway, in Europe and western Asia, pigs can defend themselves against a fox or wolf much better than sheep or goats. Pigs are sturdier animals, so the various European and Asian tribes would have eaten pigs and simply accepted the risk of an influenza outbreak among their village or group.

The vast majority of your early Christians were Greeks, not Jews, then mostly Romans and then mostly Slavs as Slavic groups started penetrating the Balkans around 200 CE or so, and then various Goth and Germanic tribes as they moved through western Europe.

As an aside, I would suggest to you that there are no Greek people in modern Greece as you know it, and that in reality, the Greek people no longer even exist. The people who inhabit Greece now are all Slavs, Turks or Turko-Mongols.

Enjoying pork....

Mircea

Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
Try the best not to eat....anything with addictive properties...There is a very good reason. You'll find many tasty animals have little defense mechanisms built into their survival. Included are pigs, cows ( although I love a good roast, only on occasion...the pig, not for me..The larger the animal relative to lack of appropriate defense mechanism..the greater the danger over time through consumption. The animals apparent clumsy defense is not clumsy at all. The animals defense is built in, by means of its consumption. Its the same with maple syrup, very addictive, an easy kill, thieving un-naturally from the tree. How about eggs then...addictive, of course, thieving, yes ( from little chickys no doubt (edit...forgot ...add cheese to the list
Everything the body needs and will enjoy much better can be found in the garden, including nuts, a little fish and chicken fruit oatmeal, popcorn, and moderation will be a word of the past in diet. Moderation is a drag until the things we finally figure out are best & don't really need any moderating influence at all.

For the size and weight of a pig...comparatively speaking...(dogs, cat, giraffe, snake, mouse or even fly... it litterally has no defence.....don't kid yourself, the defence is in its consumption, hence the tasty tasty.....gobble up quickly...have as much as you like says the species. Because if you eat enough... In time , I will be here the supreme conquering species. Got nothin against eating a pig...its just not for me.
I beg to differ with you. Pigs are quite capable of defending themselves.

Have you ever spent time on a farm?

Old 01-11-2012, 11:14 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The vast majority of your early Christians were Greeks, not Jews, then mostly Romans and then mostly Slavs as Slavic groups started penetrating the Balkans around 200 CE or so, and then various Goth and Germanic tribes as they moved through western Europe.
According to the Bible, or, if you prefer the Jewish Bible, Gentiles are not prohibited from eating pork, shell fish or mixing meat and milk. Those Mitzvot (Commandments) are only binding on those at Sinai, their descendents and those who voluntarily accept them through conversions.

Gentiles are only bound by the 7 Noahide Commandments.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 PM

912 posts, read 827,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I beg to differ with you. Pigs are quite capable of defending themselves.

Have you ever spent time on a farm?
No can't say I have.. maybe I'm wrong. They seem more like bullys.

Wild Pig v.s. Lion. Why Lion dont attack the pig? - YouTube

Old 01-11-2012, 02:02 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,568 times
when you run from a dog he chases you.

when you chase the dog he runs from you.

basic psychology.

plus the lion probably wasnt hungry

Old 06-17-2012, 06:35 PM

242 posts, read 465,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Mmmmmmm Bacon

..... and BBQ
Ain't it da truth!!!!!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:51 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,915 times
I think it was Ben Franklin who said that beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. However, having just bought a batch of La Quercia prosciutto piccante made from acorn-fed Berkshire pigs, I'm pretty sure that pork is even better proof.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:17 AM

659 posts, read 1,101,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
I think it was Ben Franklin who said that beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. However, having just bought a batch of La Quercia prosciutto piccante made from acorn-fed Berkshire pigs, I'm pretty sure that pork is even better proof.
Just read that again and I want to make it totally clear that my love of pork in no way lessens my love of beer. They are both wonderful things, each in their own way.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:03 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
who instruct Christians to use this meat at first? whereas in Jesus time nobody ate pig's meat. Saint Jesus himself ate from sheep's meat a bit often?
Now I am a die hard Pagan so I am not entirely certain if all Christians believe this, but what I learned when I was studying the Bible is that God himself instructs Christians to use this meat in Acts 10:9-16.

Now my ancestors on the other hand loved themselves some pig and most likely ate it all the time back then because they were from Western Europe and not a place with religious dietary restrictions. Additionally, being from NC I am always down for some real pulled pork BBQ, and also being half Italian I seriously doubt I would be very happy knowing I could never eat soppressata, or prosciutto.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 06-20-2012 at 07:13 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
what you know about Pig's meat.is it an intact meat or it is a dangerous and unclean meat ( biologically -spiritually) who instruct Christians to use this meat at first? whereas in Jesus time nobody ate pig's meat. Saint Jesus himself ate from sheep's meat a bit often?
That prohibition is part and parcel of all Mesopotamian cultures that existed before the Jews did.

If you stop and think about it, it isn't really nothing more than common sense. The problem with pigs is that many virus, especially influenza, can jump to humans, and very quickly decimate a population. The same is true with many of the fowl that are banned. In general, eating meat from any scavenging animals is unhealthy because of the threat of either viral or bacterial infection, or the threat of toxicity from heavy metals. We really have no idea what water quality was like at that time. For any number of reasons, a river or lake could be contaminated with toxic elements, like mercury, uranium or thorium (see southern India where the beaches are highly radioactive due to thorium and uranium washing out of the rocks in the Himalayas).

So you have scaleless fish, like gar and catfish who scavenge and bottom feed, absorbing mercury, chromium salts, lead, thorium, uranium, et al, and then you eat the fish and you are contaminated. It can cause birth defects and other health problems.

Medically...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality