Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 05:59 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
This is an honest question. I am sincerely asking. How would it not? Did the Mosaic Law expire? Did God set an expiration date on it?

A Christian would say that with the Messiah coming, he fulfilled it and we don't have to keep it because we're in Christ. Why are you not under the Law?
Saying this is like walking into an American Indian camp to tell all the Apache that there way of life is over. They shall no more where their hair long or eat the things they eat. They shall no longer hunt the buffalo or be brothers with the wolf. They shall no longer believe like Indians, and they shall no longer look like or be indians, they shall dress like white men, never ride horses, and never teach their children bow hunting, basket weaving or any of the the things their fathers taught them.

On top of this, a Christian would have them not only reject the law, but the Christian would have the Jew keeping the pagan holy days of other Gods like Christians do..

Do you understand?

You think you are talking about a thing, but what your talking about is a culture and heritage of a tribal people that the world wants to end. If this sort of thing was done to any other native people, the people who assimilated them would be seen as monsters.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:02 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,873,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Saying this is like walking into an American Indian camp to tell all the Apache that there way of life is over. They shall no more where their hair long or eat the things they eat. They shall no longer hunt the buffalo or be brothers with the wolf. They shall no longer believe like Indians, and they shall no longer look like or be indians, they shall dress like white men, never ride horses, and never teach their children bow hunting, basket weaving or any of the the things their fathers taught them.

On top of this, a Christian would have them not only reject the law, but the Christian would have the Jew keeping the pagan holy days of other Gods like Christians do..

Do you understand?

You think you are talking about a thing, but what your talking about is a culture and heritage of a tribal people that the world wants to end. If this sort of thing was done to any other native people, the people who assimilated them would be seen as monsters.

Hi, Hanni! I'm not sure that's what BF meant with his questions. I probably created some confusion when I said that I don't think these laws apply in modern society, without also explaining more thoroughly why a lot of things in modern society are not viewed as being entirely desirable by many Jews. Even many congregations within the Reform Movement in Judaism (who embraced modern society) are nowadays returning to keeping many of the mitzvot that were previously deemed no longer applicable.

You're a fierce defender of the Tribe, Hanni. Thank you for speaking up for us as you always do, but I don't think that BF meant any disrespect.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:25 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Hi, Hanni! I'm not sure that's what BF meant with his questions. I probably created some confusion when I said that I don't think these laws apply in modern society, without also explaining more thoroughly why a lot of things in modern society are not viewed as being entirely desirable by many Jews. Even many congregations within the Reform Movement in Judaism (who embraced modern society) are nowadays returning to keeping many of the mitzvot that were previously deemed no longer applicable.

You're a fierce defender of the Tribe, Hanni. Thank you for speaking up for us as you always do, but I don't think that BF meant any disrespect.
I don't think he meant any disrespect either, I just know how very hard it is for a Christian to get out of the box to see things as they really are, most Christians see the law as a burdensome thing, most never realize it is a culture and heritage of a people, Christians have a hard time of seeing that, I always did. This is a cause of much confusion.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:27 AM

17,785 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I don't think he meant any disrespect either, I just know how very hard it is for a Christian to get out of the box to see things as they really are, most Christians see the law as a burdensome thing, most never realize it is a culture and heritage of a people, Christians have a hard time of seeing that, I always did. This is a cause of much confusion.
Another thing I find interesting about the "Jesus fulfilled the law so we don't have to follow it anymore" Christian perspective is that it really doesn't make sense when it comes to the dietary laws.

Were pigs suddenly "clean" when Jesus died??? Or did Jesus' dying just make it ok for Christians to do things that are unhealthy.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:40 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,873,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Another thing I find interesting about the "Jesus fulfilled the law so we don't have to follow it anymore" Christian perspective is that it really doesn't make sense when it comes to the dietary laws.

Were pigs suddenly "clean" when Jesus died??? Or did Jesus' dying just make it ok for Christians to do things that are unhealthy.

Which goes back to what I was saying previously http://www.city-data.com/forum/56515907-post125.html about how the dietary laws had more than anything else to do with the Jewish people remaining a separate people.

The Christians were not at all about remaining a separate people (or allowing others to remain a separate people). The word "Catholic" literally means "universal." To that end, the Christians actively sought converts (through either persuasion or compulsion). Jews don't seek converts.

It's not that "Jesus' dying made it ok for Christians to do things that are unhealthy" (not that health really had anything to do with the dietary laws). It's that Jesus made it "okay" for Jews to become Gentiles.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:37 AM

88,550 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

No, if you recall the Bible story, it was Peter's dream showing him that he could now eat "unclean" flesh, which was a metaphor for allowing Gentiles into Christianity. Prior to that, people had to convert to Judaism to become Christians.

It became not just a metaphor, but an actual practice. As the religion spread to parts where no one had EVER been Jewish to begin with, the dietary laws were no longer a concern.

Some Christians, like the Seventh Day Adventists, do follow the dietary laws and/or are totally vegetarian.

The stricture against eating pork never had anything to do with health. Pork is no more or less healthy than other mammal meats.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Which goes back to what I was saying previously http://www.city-data.com/forum/56515907-post125.html about how the dietary laws had more than anything else to do with the Jewish people remaining a separate people.

The Christians were not at all about remaining a separate people (or allowing others to remain a separate people). The word "Catholic" literally means "universal." To that end, the Christians actively sought converts (through either persuasion or compulsion). Jews don't seek converts.

It's not that "Jesus' dying made it ok for Christians to do things that are unhealthy" (not that health really had anything to do with the dietary laws). It's that Jesus made it "okay" for Jews to become Gentiles.
Good explanation.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:36 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
No, of course it's not all based on personal opinion. Here is a link that might help you understand why not every one of the 613 mitzvot (laws) are kept by every Jew today: https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...till-Apply.htm
I appreciate you engaging in conversation. You've been very gracious. I'd rather have your take on it than reading off website, though.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:29 AM

11,020 posts, read 5,981,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
[...]
The stricture against eating pork never had anything to do with health. Pork is no more or less healthy than other mammal meats.
I thought it was to do with health. Pork, like chicken, facilitates the rapid spread of certain types of bacteria giving rise to food poisoning, cooked or raw. Red meats on the other hand are relatively safe. That could be coincidence since other peoples seemed to eat pork at the time.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I thought it was to do with health. Pork, like chicken, facilitates the rapid spread of certain types of bacteria giving rise to food poisoning, cooked or raw. Red meats on the other hand are relatively safe. That could be coincidence since other peoples seemed to eat pork at the time.
No, it's how Gentiles look back and explain the Jewish dietary law, but if you asked a Jew, they would tell you it had nothing to do with health and everything to do with being set apart from the others around them. As a matter of fact, didn't Rachel NewYork explain that already on this thread?

If it had to do with health, then why did only this tiny Middle-Eastern nomadic tribe adopt the practice? Why did everyone else all over the world (those to whom it was available, anyway) continue to eat pork? Wouldn't the other tribes around the Jews have noticed, "Gee, those people who don't raise pigs for food--they don't get sick, and we do!" They didn't, because that didn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality