Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2019, 10:54 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I appreciate you engaging in conversation. You've been very gracious. I'd rather have your take on it than reading off website, though.
If you really want to learn secrets of the bible, you would be spending your days at Chabad, same place alot of Jews turn to.

I don't mean the Old Testament, I mean that if you really wanted to learn the NT, you would be studying at Chabad and a few other places like them.

if you had any interest or any desire to understand Revelation, this is impossible without the Oral Torah, and why would that be so surprizing if Revelation was written by a Jew raised in Oral Torah containing the blueprints and ways of the temple the bible doesn't have?

A Jew exiled and prisoner who wants to speak to like minded people in secret because everything written would have gone through his keepers.

A Jew who spoke of things only known to Jews, 22 chapters of things taking place in the temple during holy days that would have only been known by a person raised as a Jew practicing Judaism.

Like that 30 min of silence which is of course what happens every single time the incense is lit, the incense is a language, you light the incense, back up and prostrate in silence as that incense is speaking, and this takes about 30 min.

Revelation is written in such a way through metaphor using tradition and rituals of the harvests, that it's secrets can ONLY be known through finding out what is said and done in the temple during the 7 feasts of God.

God gave Israel incense to burn, but God put it in their hands how these things would be carried out, and God says he perfected their ways that everything they do and say during holy days has a deep meaning. The New Testament has a thousand reference to Jewish tradition and rituals that are impossible to understand unless you put your feet in the shoes of a Jew being raised to be a rabbi knowing Oral Torah, knowing everything about his own duties in that temple we all claim to be.

How God has played such a trick on the world and hidden the truth in plain sight is beyond me.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 11-03-2019 at 11:16 PM..

Old 11-04-2019, 11:06 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Which goes back to what I was saying previously http://www.city-data.com/forum/56515907-post125.html about how the dietary laws had more than anything else to do with the Jewish people remaining a separate people.

The Christians were not at all about remaining a separate people (or allowing others to remain a separate people). The word "Catholic" literally means "universal." To that end, the Christians actively sought converts (through either persuasion or compulsion). Jews don't seek converts.

It's not that "Jesus' dying made it ok for Christians to do things that are unhealthy" (not that health really had anything to do with the dietary laws). It's that Jesus made it "okay" for Jews to become Gentiles.
I think that you would find this interesting and educational:

LAWS OF FOOD CONSUMPTION

Food regulations enumerated in the first five books of the Old Testament have been scrutinized by credentialed professionals in the fields of dietary and pathological research. The regulations have proven to coincide with modern science’s understanding of various aspects of health and disease prevention.

‘In 1953, an extensive study, performed by David I. Macht and published in the Bulletin of the History of Medicine (a publication of the American Association of the History of Medicine and of The Johns Hopkins Institute of the History of Medicine), tested the toxicity of the meat of animals listed in Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14.

Moderator cut: Snipped to comply with the Terms of Service.

For these reasons, the findings of Dr. Macht aid in the defense of the Bible’s inspiration and remarkably accurate medical procedures as far back as the time of Moses. But the validity of Old Testament food consumption laws certainly does not rely solely on Macht’s 1953 research.

Additional confirmation of the beneficial, protective nature of Mosaic food consumption laws is readily available. -

Apologetics Press - Scientific Foreknowledge and Medical Acumen of the Bible

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-06-2019 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: Too much had been copied from web site.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, it's how Gentiles look back and explain the Jewish dietary law, but if you asked a Jew, they would tell you it had nothing to do with health and everything to do with being set apart from the others around them. As a matter of fact, didn't Rachel NewYork explain that already on this thread?

If it had to do with health, then why did only this tiny Middle-Eastern nomadic tribe adopt the practice? Why did everyone else all over the world (those to whom it was available, anyway) continue to eat pork? Wouldn't the other tribes around the Jews have noticed, "Gee, those people who don't raise pigs for food--they don't get sick, and we do!" They didn't, because that didn't happen.
Have you ever read about how, during the Black Plague, most Gentiles died but very few Jews, if any?...To such an extent that the Jews were accused of causing it via witchcraft...

Old 11-04-2019, 11:28 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
One question that comes to mind regarding the origins of those Mosaic laws is how do we know the motivation for such laws?

Pigs are apparently dirty animals and we observe them living in their own excrement (when they are given no choice) but generally they like digging in dirt for food so it would seem reasonable to assume that is the reason to consider them unclean.

But shellfish?

Old 11-04-2019, 11:40 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Have you ever read about how, during the Black Plague, most Gentiles died but very few Jews, if any?...To such an extent that the Jews were accused of causing it via witchcraft...
I have never heard of that. I have heard of how when they were besieged during an outbreak of the plague that they flung their dead into the besiegers who then contracted the plague and left. I have not confirmed that so it could be a fabrication.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
One question that comes to mind regarding the origins of those Mosaic laws is how do we know the motivation for such laws?

Pigs are apparently dirty animals and we observe them living in their own excrement (when they are given no choice) but generally they like digging in dirt for food so it would seem reasonable to assume that is the reason to consider them unclean.

But shellfish?
The link that I gave Rachel has a section discussing shellfish...

Old 11-05-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I have never heard of that. I have heard of how when they were besieged during an outbreak of the plague that they flung their dead into the besiegers who then contracted the plague and left. I have not confirmed that so it could be a fabrication.
The Black Death persecutions and massacres were a series of violent attacks on Jewish communities blamed for outbreaks of the Black Death in Europe from 1348 to 1351. - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewi...he_Black_Death

There are many possible reasons why Jews were accused to be the cause for the plague. One reason was because there was a general sense of anti-Semitism in the 14th century. Jews were also isolated in the ghettos, which meant in some places that Jews were less affected. Additionally, there are many Jewish laws that promote cleanliness: a Jew must wash his or her hands before eating bread and after using the bathroom, it was customary for Jews to bathe once a week before the Sabbath, a corpse must be washed before burial, and so on. - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewi...he_Black_Death

...Jews were taken as scapegoats, in part because better hygiene among Jewish communities and isolation in the ghettos meant in some places that Jews were less affected... - Jewish People Blamed for the Black Death

The epidemic in fact began with an attack that the Mongols launched on the Italian merchants’ last trading station in the region, Kaffa (today Feodosiya) in the Crimea. In the autumn of 1346, plague broke out among the besiegers and from them penetrated into the town. When spring arrived, the Italians fled on their ships. And the Black Death slipped unnoticed on board and sailed with them. - https://www.historytoday.com/archive...tastrophe-ever

So it seems the Italians were responsible for it...

Last edited by Richard1965; 11-05-2019 at 12:31 AM..

Old 11-05-2019, 10:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Well, for whatever reason - isolation in the ghettos, washing their hands, not eating bottom feeders, following laws given to them- the Jews were saved from the plaque like no others.
Sounds like a blessing to me. All the laws given by God to them were brilliant.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:57 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,877,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Jews were also isolated in the ghettos, which meant in some places that Jews were less affected. Additionally, there are many Jewish laws that promote cleanliness: a Jew must wash his or her hands before eating bread and after using the bathroom, it was customary for Jews to bathe once a week before the Sabbath, a corpse must be washed before burial, and so on. -

There's no denying that our laws regarding frequent washing helped to curtail the spread of bacteria and disease-carrying fleas that contributed to so many deaths during the Middle Ages. You also mentioned our isolation in the cities' Jewish quarters, or ghettos (the word "ghetto" not always having the same negative connotations back in medieval times as it does today). This isolation -- even if imposed on us by non-Jewish city authorities -- nevertheless complied with the same historic separation from the general, non-Jewish population that our people voluntarily chose to do based on faith. And, because we remained separate, we survived as a people while other peoples were absorbed into the Christian World.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:34 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:

But shellfish?
You think it's a good idea to eat shellfish in the desert?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality