Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2019, 12:32 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times

Advertisements

Rachel NewYork, I much admire and appreciate your attitude and explanations on this forum so feel OK in asking you this question.
Do you think/feel the ancient day prohibition of pork has any validity today?
Does it hold true with, for instance, the edict not to mix fabrics? (Which also just made sense, at the time)

Old 10-29-2019, 12:43 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Perhaps he did, and saw that as a threat. When the Christians became Romans, the dynamics of Rome were forever changed.
Nero started persecuting Christians in the 60's AD - well before the Roman Empire embraced Christianity. As in hundreds of years before. Christians were not well-liked in Rome. Paul was eventually beheaded, it's believed, in Rome.

Having said all that, it's kind of secondary to your point about the idea of the Jews being separate, and Kosher helped keep them that way. God's people are always supposed to be separate.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:47 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Rachel NewYork, I much admire and appreciate your attitude and explanations on this forum so feel OK in asking you this question.
Do you think/feel the ancient day prohibition of pork has any validity today?
Does it hold true with, for instance, the edict not to mix fabrics? (Which also just made sense, at the time)

Thank you for the compliment, Old Cold.

I think that the prohibition of pork (and other things that aren't kosher, including the mixture of wool with linen, the crossbreeding of livestock with different species, mixing different seeds in the sowing of a field, etc.) don't apply in modern society. However, that's not to say that these laws don't apply to Jews who eschew many undesirable things in modern society in order to stick to traditional Judaism.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:49 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:

I think that the prohibition of pork (and other things that aren't kosher, including the mixture of wool with linen, the crossbreeding of livestock with different species, mixing different seeds in the sowing of a field, etc.) don't apply in modern society. However, that's not to say that these laws don't apply to Jews who eschew many undesirable things in modern society in order to stick to traditional Judaism.
I agree with cold ... great work by you.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I agree with cold ... great work by you.

Thank you, Arch Angle! Much appreciated.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^Couldn't rep you again, RNY, but I appreciate the informative nature of your posts.

Thanks, MQ! There are a lot of great people over on this R&S forum!

Old 10-30-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:

This is an honest question. I am sincerely asking. How would it not? Did the Mosaic Law expire? Did God set an expiration date on it?

A Christian would say that with the Messiah coming, he fulfilled it and we don't have to keep it because we're in Christ. Why are you not under the Law?

Old 10-30-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
This is an honest question. I am sincerely asking. How would it not? Did the Mosaic Law expire? Did God set an expiration date on it?

A Christian would say that with the Messiah coming, he fulfilled it and we don't have to keep it because we're in Christ. Why are you not under the Law?

No, the Law doesn't expire. Jews who keep the Law should be commended and cherished by all other Jews who, for whatever personal reasons, do not adhere to all the mitzvot. By the same token, Jews who do not adhere to all the mitzvot should not be judged by their fellow Jews. This isn't any kind of official statement – I'm stating my own opinion here.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
No, the Law doesn't expire. Jews who keep the Law should be commended and cherished by all other Jews who, for whatever personal reasons, do not adhere to all the mitzvot. By the same token, Jews who do not adhere to all the mitzvot should not be judged by their fellow Jews. This isn't any kind of official statement – I'm stating my own opinion here.

Thanks for the answer. A couple follow-ups if you're willing to answer.

So it's all based on personal opinion only? Do you believe Yahweh allows for that?

Or, do you believe that it's all simply a metaphor? I know some Jewish people don't believe there was a literal Moses and/or that the Law was literally handed down from God.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So it's all based on personal opinion only? Do you believe Yahweh allows for that?

Or, do you believe that it's all simply a metaphor? I know some Jewish people don't believe there was a literal Moses and/or that the Law was literally handed down from God.

No, of course it's not all based on personal opinion. Here is a link that might help you understand why not every one of the 613 mitzvot (laws) are kept by every Jew today: https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...till-Apply.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality