Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2019, 03:51 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Google pork worms on the brain, pork worms in your eyes, and click images to see if you might want a parasite lol, doesn't stop me from eating pork, but dang.
I wonder if there was an outbreak or something causing the god said so rule?

Old 10-28-2019, 04:05 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I wonder if there was an outbreak or something causing the god said so rule?
Probably so, and it is this way with the whole law as far as I can see. Because Jews were given such strict rules about cleanliness and what to do with waste, what to eat, they didn't succumb to many ailments like everyone else. They were blamed for plagues because a whole city would be sick except for them, and this brought suspicion and hatred.

Having said this, all the laws have a deeper meaning and to just mention the word swine, you could be discussing Gentiles, unclean animals.

Everything said in the law of animals is really not about animals.

Corinthians 9
For it is written in the Law of Moses: “Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.” Is it about oxen that God is concerned? Isn’t He actually speaking on our behalf? Indeed, this was written for us, because when the plowman plows and the thresher threshes, they should also expect to share in the harvest.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:08 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,877,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Pigs are scavengers. They will root up and eat dead things, including, potentially, human corpses. Which makes them unclean.

Chickens will eat just about anything, as well. Including each other. That's why some people who raise them choose to de-beak them -- to deter the chicken cannibalism.

Also, their eggs come out of the same hole that their excrement comes out of.

All animals are "unclean" to a certain extent, if you want to look closely at their habits.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:30 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,710,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Chickens will eat just about anything, as well. Including each other. That's why some people who raise them choose to de-beak them -- to deter the chicken cannibalism.

All animals are "unclean" to a certain extent, if you want to look closely at their habits.
Yes.

I don't know what people are thinking when they slap the 'unclean' label on certain animals and not others. Do they think cows are fastidious sticklers for hygiene?

Can they not comprehend that what an animal consumes is broken down into constituent molecules that are ultimately either discarded (as waste) or formed into one component of the body or another? Do they think that when a pig eats a turd, that turd is then present in the pig's meat?

Here's a newsflash, people - every single water molecule in the purest glass of water you can imagine was urinated out of countless numbers of creatures before it found its way to you.

Last edited by 2x3x29x41; 10-28-2019 at 05:14 PM..

Old 10-28-2019, 05:01 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:

logic was never one of their strong points.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Yes.

I don't know what people are thinking when they slap the 'unclean' label on certain animals and not others. Do they think cows are fastidious sticklers for hygiene?

Can they not comprehend that what an animal consumes is broken down into constituent molecules that are ultimately either discarded (as waste) or formed into one component of the body or another? Do they think that when a pig eats a turd, that turd is then present in the pig's meat?

Here's a newsflash, people - every single water molecule in the purest glass of water you can imagine was urinated out of countless numbers of creatures before it found its way to you.
Well that is it, no more baths for me, what's the use?

Old 10-28-2019, 06:29 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,877,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Well that is it, no more baths for me, what's the use?

You'd be bathing in fishie pee! Ewwwwww! LOL

I stand by what I stated previously for the reason why we were told not to eat certain foods. It was not the animal itself that was "unclean" -- it was those who depended on certain types of animals for sustenance, who practiced certain rituals that were antithetical to early Judaism. Stating that such food sources were "unclean" was a means of separating the Jewish people from the public feasts of some other groups of peoples.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 10-28-2019 at 06:39 PM..

Old 10-28-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
You'd be bathing in fishie pee! Ewwwwww! LOL

I stand by what I stated previously for the reason why we were told not to eat certain foods. It was not the animal itself that was "unclean" -- it was those who depended on certain types of animals for sustenance, who practiced certain rituals that were antithetical to early Judaism. Stating that such food sources were "unclean" was a means of separating the Jewish people from the public feasts of some other groups of peoples.
It's a good enough reason.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:06 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
It's my understanding that a reason for the prohibition against eating pork (and certain other foods) is because that's what the Gentiles ate, and the Jews are supposed to be a people apart from others. If we were to eat the same foods as the Gentiles then we would be more likely to join the Gentiles in their public feasts, and thereby become more easily assimilated.
Seriously?
Gentiles also ate chicken and cow and goat and Turkey and wheat and Yogurt and 100’s of other things the Jews ate.
Jews should’ve been ordered not to eat any of those things that the Gentiles ate in order to separate the Jews.
Why only pig?

Imagine a very big feast ceremony with thousands of people and 100 food items, where a small group eats 99 items and refrains from one in an attempt to resist the assimilation. Who would care or notice, and would it work?

Ideally Jews should’ve been ordered to refrain from eating any food that the gentiles ate, and more profoundly, have their own language and never participate in the common feast ceremonies with Gentiles.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:13 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:

Chickens do not eat dead humans. To a Jew the most unclean of all possible things is a human corpse. Which is why scavengers, animals that eat dead things, potentially including human corpses, are not kosher. Modern domesticated pigs are kept penned up and fed by the farmer. They have no chance of eating human corpses. A feral pig will eat just about anything it can get it's snout on, however. Three thousand years ago the meat of animals and birds that routinely ate dead things was considered unclean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality