Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 05:45 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why shouldn't he just expose himself?
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 07:35 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumbleWitness View Post
A question for our atheist friends to ponder:

What if you are wrong?

There is mounting evidence of a spirit realm. NDEs provide a
clear window into the reality of an afterlife. Science confirms
that 95% of the universe lies beyond our perceptions, as well
as, beyond the detection of any instrumentality.

The Bible says that those who reject God will be rejected.

The Bible also predicted that you would be amongst us in these
times:

2Perer 3:2
'That you should remember the predictions of the holy prophets
and the commandment of the Lord and Savior through your
apostles, knowing this first of all, that scoffers will come in
the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful
desires.'

Your destiny is also made clear:

Acts 13:41
‘Look, you scoffers, be astounded and perish; for I am doing a
work in your days, a work that you will not believe, even if one
tells it to you.’

You are being told yet you do not believe. You speak of being
rational, you harden your hearts against God though His creation
is all around you. You attribute creation to randomness, mocking
God in the wake of your flawed arguments.

What if you're wrong my friends?

You would not play Russian roulette because you know you may
lose your life. Yet the gamble you are now taking will be much
more tragic for you. You know that you must protect yourselves
through various forms of insurance, yet you are leaving
yourselves completely open to eternal destruction. You practice
risk management in every decision you make in this life, yet you
are willing to assume the ultimate risk by rejecting God.

Do not let yourselves be blinded further my friends. There is
indeed spiritual warfare beyond our senses, and you are a
portion of the spoils. Your scoffing is the result of your being
fooled by the greatest of liars. Lift yourselves up from his
spell and humble yourselves before God that He may save you.
Seek Him with all your heart, revere His word and He will become
known to you. You have made a bet that you cannot win, but God
is merciful, He will forgive your debt if you seek Him before
it's too late.

God Bless, The Humble Witness.
There are over 38,000 religions in operation today. In addition, there are atheists, agnostics, and others with different philosophical perspectives. Christians are taking just as much of a gamble on their eternal fate. Who knows, you might die only to find Vishnu standing at the gate determining your fate and you'll be kicking your own spirit a$$ for thinking you had your place in heaven locked up and in the bag.

Last edited by Professor Griff; 01-19-2012 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: additional comments

Old 01-19-2012, 10:14 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Cool Pascal's Brainless Wager & It's Consequences!

Not to mention that anyone who feels personally assured that they have anything locked up and in that spiritual bag are really deluding themselves. They have exactly the same level of conviction about their faith-based beliefs as they simultaneously chide us for our mostly absolute beliefs in there being no Abrahamic God or Allah.

And so this persistent but absurdly anti-intellectual question continues to roll in like clock-work, with the "Oh... You'll be So Sorry" mentality attached to it, as though that dreadful and fear-inducing possibility alone should convince us to sway our hearts and minds.

Well, predictable, as with any human perception issue, if anything, it infuriates some, causes untold tens of thousands of atheistically oriented or agnostic readers to shrug their collective mind, or grunt in a dismissive way.

As I've asked before, Humble Witness, do you really honestly think your argument RESONATES with those of us who have, by and large, thought it all out, fully dismissing that so-very-childish Pascal's Wager pseudo-argument, and then we moved on, big sympathetic grin on our mugs.

As well, we then get to fully witness the stumbling, fear-drenched debating points of now-frantic Christians, many of whom also finally realize their own true morality is about to run out, and who see they have also lost the intellectual argument, and never after provide a compelling nor even lightly refreshed one. When they speak of "how can you take such a big chance with your eternal life???" they are, of course, referring to their own huge and growing lack of absolute confidence. They are willing to try to fool their God, but it's not always in their hearts, to be sure!

As for myself, I'm willing to bet it all that you are absolutely wrong. That's where all the available evidence, carefully and objectively considered, points. Always. (Unless of course, you want to use the "OH! How awesome!" card, which just ain't that convincing to us scientists who study the phenomena in the natural world. By comparison, you actually miss out on lots of truly awesome things because you won't allow anything but a Christian interpretation. How very sad and lacking!

But to your point however, for the last time: If I am "wrong", then I'll cross that pre-ordained bridge when I get there, no doubt while having a nice scientific discussion with the alien in the God costume about the origins of The Universe (and with Mystic sitting on His "awesome" other side... ), about the gullible versus the critical-thinking set, and who should get to go back down and inherit the world: the environmentally & globally concerned and educated,those who don't demean the animals to some "lesser" position, or the greedy capitalists (incl. Pat Robertson, for sure a super-fine example of your vast Christendom's best and least selfish ...)

Or perhaps He'll give control of it all to the devout but non-critical thinker Christians? Or the Muslim hordes? I guess we'll see, huh?

(All this IMHO of course....)

Old 01-19-2012, 12:39 PM

281 posts, read 256,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumbleWitness View Post
A question for our atheist friends to ponder:

What if you are wrong?

There is mounting evidence of a spirit realm. NDEs provide a
clear window into the reality of an afterlife. Science confirms
that 95% of the universe lies beyond our perceptions, as well
as, beyond the detection of any instrumentality.

The Bible says that those who reject God will be rejected.

The Bible also predicted that you would be amongst us in these
times:

2Perer 3:2
'That you should remember the predictions of the holy prophets
and the commandment of the Lord and Savior through your
apostles, knowing this first of all, that scoffers will come in
the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful
desires.'

Your destiny is also made clear:

Acts 13:41
‘Look, you scoffers, be astounded and perish; for I am doing a
work in your days, a work that you will not believe, even if one
tells it to you.’

You are being told yet you do not believe. You speak of being
rational, you harden your hearts against God though His creation
is all around you. You attribute creation to randomness, mocking
God in the wake of your flawed arguments.

What if you're wrong my friends?

You would not play Russian roulette because you know you may
lose your life. Yet the gamble you are now taking will be much
more tragic for you. You know that you must protect yourselves
through various forms of insurance, yet you are leaving
yourselves completely open to eternal destruction. You practice
risk management in every decision you make in this life, yet you
are willing to assume the ultimate risk by rejecting God.

Do not let yourselves be blinded further my friends. There is
indeed spiritual warfare beyond our senses, and you are a
portion of the spoils. Your scoffing is the result of your being
fooled by the greatest of liars. Lift yourselves up from his
spell and humble yourselves before God that He may save you.
Seek Him with all your heart, revere His word and He will become
known to you. You have made a bet that you cannot win, but God
is merciful, He will forgive your debt if you seek Him before
it's too late.

God Bless, The Humble Witness.
So much of what you state is fact-less assertion without foundation. there is no-evidence of anything "spiritual" - none.

I would offer that if there is a creator who holds it against people who do nothing else but use their brains and intellectually abilities to analyze the possibility of his existence is conclude otherwise, then i would want nothing to do with him - especially that the trillions upon trillions upon trillions of trillions of years that is the thinnest sliver of forever.

I ask you want kind of person would want to spend eternity in a world constructed by the same architect who built this one (with all its attendant misery, pain and suffering). Not I. A lifetime is enough for me.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:50 PM

428 posts, read 487,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
There are over 38,000 religions in operation today. In addition, there are atheists, agnostics, and others with different philosophical perspectives. Christians are taking just as much of a gamble on their eternal fate. Who knows, you might die only to find Vishnu standing at the gate determining your fate and you'll be kicking your own spirit a$$ for thinking you had your place in heaven locked up and in the bag.
Religion must get so ingrained into some people that they fail to realize this. I've asked Christian friends what stops them from converting to Islam. After all, Muslims are so sure of their god and that the Koran provides ultimate truth. Aren't religious non-Muslims worried that Allah will be waiting for them when they die?

My Christian friends laughingly scoff and say that Muslims are a misguided people, that their holy book is nothing more than a manmade text used to rule over its members. Interestingly, they can't see the Bible like that.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:19 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
So much of what you state is fact-less assertion without foundation. there is no-evidence of anything "spiritual" - none.

I would offer that if there is a creator who holds it against people who do nothing else but use their brains and intellectually abilities to analyze the possibility of his existence is conclude otherwise, then i would want nothing to do with him - especially that the trillions upon trillions upon trillions of trillions of years that is the thinnest sliver of forever.

I ask you want kind of person would want to spend eternity in a world constructed by the same architect who built this one (with all its attendant misery, pain and suffering). Not I. A lifetime is enough for me.
Yep, I agree. The only thing is......according to Christians the next world will be perfect and much much much better than this one, no disease, crime or death ever again...in heaven, that is. But if there is a god who built this world, why isn't it perfect now? Why do we have to go through pain and suffering when he could have created a perfect world to begin with? Doesn't make much sense when you think about it and I know what the Christian response would be.....he did create a perfect world in the beginning but man ruined it by sinning. Really? Don't you think that if a god is all-powerful he could have prevented the "sin" from entering into the equation? If there is anything "spiritual" going on behind the scenes then it's way over our heads anyway so why stress about it? Everything, every single question is answered upon death, either there's another life beyond this one or this is it, one or the other. Just don't think we can know anything in this life about a possible next life. Nothing can be proven, and there's no evidence, just a bible book full of fairy tales and fables.

But what is the purpose? Seriously, why have a dark, dank life (not all people have ****ty lives but most do) when it could have been good from the beginning? There probably isn't an all-powerful being who created us, but one who is fallible if it exists at all. I mean, according to the bible he can't even get rid of Satan! If there's another life after this one, it would be more of the same, unfair, unwanted, sucky life that we have now. Either there is a god and he's not all-in-all, or there's not one and we're here out of some fluke of the Universe. I'm more likely to believe reincarnation at this point.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:51 PM

281 posts, read 256,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Yep, I agree. The only thing is......according to Christians the next world will be perfect and much much much better than this one, no disease, crime or death ever again...in heaven, that is. But if there is a god who built this world, why isn't it perfect now? Why do we have to go through pain and suffering when he could have created a perfect world to begin with? Doesn't make much sense when you think about it and I know what the Christian response would be.....he did create a perfect world in the beginning but man ruined it by sinning. Really? Don't you think that if a god is all-powerful he could have prevented the "sin" from entering into the equation? If there is anything "spiritual" going on behind the scenes then it's way over our heads anyway so why stress about it? Everything, every single question is answered upon death, either there's another life beyond this one or this is it, one or the other. Just don't think we can know anything in this life about a possible next life. Nothing can be proven, and there's no evidence, just a bible book full of fairy tales and fables.

But what is the purpose? Seriously, why have a dark, dank life (not all people have ****ty lives but most do) when it could have been good from the beginning? There probably isn't an all-powerful being who created us, but one who is fallible if it exists at all. I mean, according to the bible he can't even get rid of Satan! If there's another life after this one, it would be more of the same, unfair, unwanted, sucky life that we have now. Either there is a god and he's not all-in-all, or there's not one and we're here out of some fluke of the Universe. I'm more likely to believe reincarnation at this point.
The only rational explanation that makes sense (and devoid of the "what if you are wrong", and "I am saved" BS) is that there simply is not god, no creator, that the Universe just IS, and so are we. There is this life, and wen it ends, it ends - period.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
The only ones that are saved are the atheists, for we are truly saved from worrying about any of this nonsense.

It is sad though to see people so controlled by something so irrational.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:07 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The only ones that are saved are the atheists, for we are truly saved from worrying about any of this nonsense.

It is sad though to see people so controlled by something so irrational.
Excellent point AN

Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post

I guess the biblical god is just a drama queen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality