Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 10:34 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,595,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Existence is not proof of god. This makes no sense.

Do me a favor, sit back and imagine nothingness aka void. What does nothingness look like? What does it smell, sound, taste and feel like? It is impossible to imagine complete nothingness aka void. Why? Because we perciee the world with our senses. We even use our senses while imagining things. Now, apply this to the god concept. It is impossible to imagine a god outside what we can perceive with out own senses. We can't see god and have no empericle evidence that god exists, yet we still claim to know of him. This means that God is limited to what we know and is therefore in our imagination. God is what what he is because we say he is. Nothing more.

We would still have some of those things, but we would have less reason to do it. To war with someone because they wont follow a book you like? Or because they don't imagine their god the same way you do. To war over who has the better imaginary friend is stupid.

Using religion as a scapegoat is understandable, Atheist need all the help in their philosophy they can get; because the philosophy is weak; but to think that the removal of religion would make things " Better", is a stanch blind refusal to reconize the perversion in human nature is not religion, its the lack of the pressence of the being religion has failed to exalt.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Well I couldnot drink with you, I am an alcoholic, but we could certainly philosophize well into the night; you would be still welcome and welcome to drink.
Thanks for the offer of hospitality, if i'm ever passing by your way i'll get in touch but Michigan's a long way from Montreal and i think my traveling days are just about done..

Old 07-04-2012, 11:57 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,918,022 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that Atheist wouldnot war against themselves? Because I certainly disagree with that. Atheism is not a cure for war; human nature starts war, not religion.
Of course they would have wars. They just wouldn't use religion as an excuse for them (my god told me to kill you).

Old 07-04-2012, 03:14 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,328,628 times
Quote:
Using religion as a scapegoat is understandable, Atheist need all the help in their philosophy they can get; because the philosophy is weak; but to think that the removal of religion would make things " Better", is a stanch blind refusal to reconize the perversion in human nature is not religion, its the lack of the pressence of the being religion has failed to exalt.
As I have most recently learned/realized is that there is no one philosophy for atheism. We are not the ones with the scapegoat. The theistic religions are, "Have a problem in your life? Well you aren't strong enough to deal with it and fix it, so give it to god." This is the biggest scapegoat our society has. It is thrown around all to often. In debt? Give it to god. Got an addiction? Give it to god. Oh, you were raped and are now pregnant because of it? Ask god for strenght to give birth to that gift and raise it. Any and every problem what people face is told to give it to god. STOP IT! Stand up and take action. We are responsible for the messes we make and for cleaning them up. Sometimes bad things happen outside of our control. Face it, life sucks sometimes and we can't control everything. All we can control is how we deal with it and what we do about it.

People say God bless America, especially today. What on earth makes you think god is going to focus on one nation? There are millions of people starving in other countries and we think god is going to bless us when we have an alarming obesity rate. REALLY? WAKE UP! We live in a physical world, while here we need to focus on the physical. If and when we die and we discover there is an afterlife, then we can focus on the spiritual. But, just to be sure, we need to focus on the here and now and stop worrying about pleasing some would be god. We need to stop living by prophecy and start living based on actions that seek positive results.

We need to stop thinking that if we give our worries and problems to some imagined deity that it will magically go away. We need to step up and do what needs to be done.

There is no doubting that life is tough, but there is no problem that can be fixed by giving it to an imagined god. We rely on religion too much. I don't think the removal of religion altogether is the answer, it's too simple and to think it would fix our problems by getting rid of it or relying on it more is illogical. Everything is about moderation. So, go pray to your god, but don't forget that action is what produces results. You can pray that you overcome an obstacle , but action is what will get you through.

I had some serious problems in my life. When I was a Christian I did what I was told and gave my worries to god. Rather than face life's hardships, I gave up. Then I woke up and took control of my life the best way I could. Guess what it took to overcome these problems? I Had to realize that I have to fix it, no god was ever going to help me. I was in debt, lived on the streets and had addiction issues. I am where I am because I took myself here. I learned some hard lessons by cleaning up the messes I made. I faced challenges and am starting to see the fruits of my labor. It wasn't easy, it never is, I wanted to give up so many times because it was easier.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:

STOP IT! Stand up and take action. We are responsible for the messes we make and for cleaning them up. Sometimes bad things happen outside of our control. Face it, life sucks sometimes and we can't control everything. All we can control is how we deal with it and what we do about it.

Well according to the vending of so many Atheist here , religion is responsible for the messes we make; they blame religion; now you are blaming the true source of the problems- human nature; you can't have it both ways, thats selective exposure, only dealing with things that reinforce your views. See, you hit the nail on the head, WE make the mess, not religions- WE!

And this gripe about removing religion and the mess will disapear is BALONY!

The only way to remove the mess, is to remove " WE".

Old 07-04-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Well according to the vending of so many Atheist here , religion is responsible for the messes we make; they blame religion; now you are blaming the true source of the problems- human nature; you can't have it both ways, thats selective exposure, only dealing with things that reinforce your views. See, you hit the nail on the head, WE make the mess, not religions- WE!

And this gripe about removing religion and the mess will disapear is BALONY!

The only way to remove the mess, is to remove " WE".
Religion is a product on human nature. Is religion part of the problem? ABSOLUTELY! There is no denying that religion plays a big role in the messes we have made. But to blame it completely would be ignorant. I don't think anyone on here is say that it is.

But, by thinking that religion will magically make our problems go away is to play the fool. When we give up and give into religious ideologies to solve these problems, we are simply waiving out white flags waiting for the end to come because we expect the next life is going to be better. We need to realize that we aren't going to live forever, and if we are going to have any peace it is here and now, it is the only life we know of. I would rather have my life end knowing that I did everything I could in order to make it a better place, then to die knowing that I gave up.

Removing us will not solve the problem. Are we responsible for the problem? No doubt about it, but we are also hold the keys that will answer and fix the problems we create.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,549,412 times
Quote:
Using religion as a scapegoat is understandable,
Religion is not a scapegoat, it is the excuse given to justify hate drive actions of theists.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:50 PM

[quote=raison_d'etre;25024344

Removing us will not solve the problem. Are we responsible for the problem? No doubt about it, but we are also hold the keys that will answer and fix the problems we create.[/quote]

NO, no, no! Human nature does not hold the key, I totally disagree with that, and millions of years of thinking that we do hold the key has not solved the problem. Really religion has come close to explaining who holds the key, but it has failed in its distorted explination. Science has failed in solving the problem, as has ALL human insitutions; GOD holds the key; and see we can't understand him, can't see him, can't manipulate the key out of his hands, he won't do what we tell him to do; he's not listening to our gripes!

Only he can fix our problems, all other paths are just temporary bandaies.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
NO, no, no! Human nature does not hold the key, I totally disagree with that, and millions of years of thinking that we do hold the key has not solved the problem. Really religion has come close to explaining who holds the key, but it has failed in its distorted explination.
We have lived under the banner of various religious ideals as far back as we can trace history. It has had thousands of years to show proof to us that their gods hold the keys that benefit all men. Yet, it has not.

Quote:
Science has failed in solving the problem, as has ALL human insitutions; GOD holds the key; and see we can't understand him, can't see him, can't manipulate the key out of his hands, he won't do what we tell him to do; he's not listening to our gripes!
Science has actually fixed many of the problems and as our understanding in the various scientific fields grows we will fix even more problems. Religion has caused problems and fixed none, it destroys to please a god that does not exist and does because the people who believe in a god believe they will magically go to heaven when they die, they could care less if they destroy this world. Science can be used to create problems, but it has the means to fix those problems.

Quote:
Only he can fix our problems, all other paths are just temporary bandaies.
Do you have proof of this?

Old 07-05-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Do you have proof of this?

Human history is ample proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality