Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 10:37 AM

33,566 posts, read 37,172,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
We agree for another rare time Sans; of course you already know I am going to attribute that To God.
Naturally, and I guess you know that I attribute it to evolution...

Old 06-27-2012, 02:59 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,595,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Naturally, and I guess you know that I attribute it to evolution...

I am tempted to cut a deal with you and meet in the middle, and call it " The God of evolution"; but something tells me you and Rifle won't go for it. Like surgeons, you will look to cut out God.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:15 PM

496 posts, read 484,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Some people choose not to say "so help me God." Some courts do not even use it. They say, "Do you swear (or affirm) to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth in these proceedings?" There is also no requirement to place your hand on a Bible either. (That would be meaningless to a follower of Hinduism anyway.)

Did you know that "so help me God" is not a part of the Oath of Office for the President of the United States?

How would the things you wrote make any difference in a court of law?

1) swear on what, the possible and usual implications to the witness and the days proceedings? or to order in of itself, Two different things

2) why did so help me god became what it is?

3) Law and justice only strives toward order.

4) There are endless examples ...why do jurors get threatened and the rest of it? to swear only on behalf of themselves and the particular days proceedings or to tell the truth in Gods presence? Possibly a felt corupt proceeding. Wheres the deal with the proceedings?...theres no logical rule supporting an honorary allegiance to the proceedings.

5) When implicated, which would be most of the time, people have trouble telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help myself or any human proceeding. ( this is not my fault

6) speaking on behalf of a Hindu individual goes in the bin.

what would be the atheist's complaint if ALL atheists convicted of a crime were restricted to ALL atheist jurors, would this be ok? .. It may be helpful to try a few imaginary examples, with an imaginary stay at the crow bar hotel .

Last edited by peter-1; 06-27-2012 at 04:06 PM..

Old 06-27-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I am tempted to cut a deal with you and meet in the middle, and call it " The God of evolution"; but something tells me you and Rifle won't go for it. Like surgeons, you will look to cut out God.
As a surgeon would say..."You can't cut out what is not there".

Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
As a surgeon would say..."You can't cut out what is not there".

Come on Sans, meet me half way; is it possible that a God might exist who initiated evolution? OR, an outside power that you are not aware of yet?

Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Come on Sans, meet me half way; is it possible that a God might exist who initiated evolution? OR, an outside power that you are not aware of yet?
I suppose it is possible, but it's certainly not any of the gods that people have invented.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 AM

16,706 posts, read 15,701,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-1 View Post
1) swear on what, the possible and usual implications to the witness and the days proceedings? or to order in of itself, Two different things

2) why did so help me god became what it is?

3) Law and justice only strives toward order.

4) There are endless examples ...why do jurors get threatened and the rest of it? to swear only on behalf of themselves and the particular days proceedings or to tell the truth in Gods presence? Possibly a felt corupt proceeding. Wheres the deal with the proceedings?...theres no logical rule supporting an honorary allegiance to the proceedings.

5) When implicated, which would be most of the time, people have trouble telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help myself or any human proceeding. ( this is not my fault

6) speaking on behalf of a Hindu individual goes in the bin.

what would be the atheist's complaint if ALL atheists convicted of a crime were restricted to ALL atheist jurors, would this be ok? .. It may be helpful to try a few imaginary examples, with an imaginary stay at the crow bar hotel .
What point are you trying to make here?

The 1st Amendment would prohibit the government from creating a law regulating the religious views (or non-views) of potential jurors.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I suppose it is possible, but it's certainly not any of the gods that people have invented.

Mt goodness Sans, we agree yet again. Its certainly not any of those gods. I agree 100 %.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:18 AM

A world entirely populated by Atheist would eventually search for God; science would return to its roots.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
A world entirely populated by Atheist would eventually search for God; science would return to its roots.
Why do you think that people who do not believe that gods exist would search for them? That makes no sense at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality