Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:03 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
The main tenant of atheism is "there is no God."
No, the main tenant of atheism is it is possible that a god exists, but we do not believe he/she/it does...You too are an atheist in regards to every god except the one you believe in.

Quote:
This implies that there is nobody left to judge us after our heart beats for the last time.
The ones we leave behind will be our judges.

Quote:
If there is no one left to judge us, there are no consequences.
What consequences could possibly affect me personally once I'm dead and my organs are donated to others?

Quote:
Atheism is the belief that there are ultimately no consequences for our actions on earth.
Again this is not true...There are no personal consequences, but our legacy lives on by how we raise our children. In my case I have raised my kids to live by the golden rule.
Quote:
Is there a falacy in this or does it not fit in your agenda?
Yes it is a fallacy...See above.

Quote:
I think a child could figure this one out. Atheism is the ultimate freedom. You can do whatever the hell you want, and when things get hard, simply cease to exist and that's all there is to it.
It is no truer for atheists than it is for believers...We all cease to exist at some point, but believing that this life is all you have tends to motivate atheists make it as good as they can...Many believers on the other hand think that they can commit all manner of atrocities, and as long as they accept Christ they will be rewarded.

Quote:
Is this not true?
No it's not.

By and large atheists tend to be more moral than the religious...This is a fact that you should think hard on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 11:03 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,048 times
Quote:
You're crazy to believe that societies don't have sociopathic tendencies.

Use history as your guide.

How many times in history has an army gone in and invaded another society in order to obtain their resources at the expense of the invaded, and often dehumanized society?

You're out of touch because you're at the top of the food chain. If you were a member of one of these dehumanized societies, you would probably change your tune.
It happens a lot, sure. That's why its important for us to get past that and change the world for the better, now. Don't wait for some post-death judge to deal with the bad actors. Deal with them now. Make the world a better place.

I also don't see how this relates to the idea that atheists aren't all sociopaths, which is what you apparently believe.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
By and large atheists tend to be more moral than the religious...This is a fact that you should think hard on.
Very, very true.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:07 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
If Christians believe mankind is not good, that only God is good, then why is there so much good in the world?
Where is all this "good" in the world? There's too much bad.

Man causes so much bad, it's disgusting.

IMHO, God prevents things from going TOTALLY bad here on earth.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:08 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
[quote=Kansarado;22867545]
Quote:
He gave us free will, did he not?
No. It is inherent in the thought of mankink.

Quote:
And humanity needs controls. If you teach children that there are no consequences for their actions on earth, they will act accordingly.
Spoken like a true wannabe oppressor. You are fine if you agree with the controls but against the actual use of this "free will" if you don't agree with it.

Quote:
You do not have the answers one way or the other, but if you base it upon reality and where logic fits in within our realty, everything that we do has consequences.
Actually it is you who have no answers. You rely on a middle eastern goat herder to guide you and try real hard not to think for yourself.

Quote:
So is it not more logical to assume that we have consequences even in death?
No, not logical at all. You assume, for your own comfort, that there is something after death. Unproven and highly unlikely.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Do you disagree with this? Are you not good when you are born, ignorant to the ways of man?

People become bad.
Isn't one of the prime statements in religion, at least some, about original sin? You are born a sinner (bad) and told you have to earn goodness?

Poor argument on your part.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
The main tenant of atheism is "there is no God."

This implies that there is nobody left to judge us after our heart beats for the last time.

If there is no one left to judge us, there are no consequences.

Atheism is the belief that there are ultimately no consequences for our actions on earth.

Is there a falacy in this or does it not fit in your agenda?

I think a child could figure this one out. Atheism is the ultimate freedom. You can do whatever the hell you want, and when things get hard, simply cease to exist and that's all there is to it.

Is this not true?
Where do you get this garbage? Try learning something about a subject (Atheisim) before making proclaimations and decisions about it.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Really....now.

Suppose what's in your best interest is detrimental to somebody else. Do you still do what's in your best interest?
And suppose one day you wake up and reject your beliefs? Does this mean that you will go out and commit crimes, involve yourself in destructive behavior?

You see, "suppose" is a totally irrevelant argument, used by the weak.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 AM

164 posts, read 186,577 times
Wow. I'm learning so much.

So now atheism means there could be a God when it suits our agenda, but under normal circumstances there is no God.

Who am I arguing with? Are we making this up as we go?

Alright, ya'll win.

Do whatever the hell ya'll want. No consequences. You can kill 10 people, then kill yourself and that's history.

And everything came from nothing for no reason, and then somehow dinosaurs were magically created, but we use the term "evolve," so we don't sound like lunatics.

Okay...ya'll convinced me. I'm gonna start runnin around like Ba GAWW.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
And suppose one day you wake up and reject your beliefs? Does this mean that you will go out and commit crimes, involve yourself in destructive behavior?

You see, "suppose" is a totally irrevelant argument, used by the weak.
He has already stated, several times, that if he learned tomorrow that there was no judge in the afterlife, he would go out and commit crimes.

This is the kind of "morality" we are dealing with here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality