Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:54 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,692 times

Advertisements

Nope. Did you know that nowhere in the Old Testament or the New Testament is Satan described as dwelling in or ruling over hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 12:56 AM

282 posts, read 298,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Many religions teach that hell is a physical place somewhere beneath the earth's surface.

If this is true, then shouldn't we theoretically be able to dig into the earth and find hell with all the sinful people who have ever lived and then died being tormented there?

If not, then where does hell really exist?
although, I'm not a geologist but no one , no machine or any type of laser beam can stand the excessive heat down there. we could not know for sure other natural feature like Microwaves that destroy bridges and Oil facilities in seas, so do not be so confident of what we achieve of Knowledge

Old 03-13-2012, 01:36 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,233 times
i thought dante alighieri created the popular imagery for what hell maybe like?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:41 PM

1,196 posts, read 754,386 times
I’ve responded to so many concerning the “hell” question, with scriptures may I add. Satan so works his magic, or should I say tricks, (Ephe.6:11 -Put on the whole Armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles, (tricks), of the devil), when fooling mankind. Sadly he does in it such a way, one would believe it’s of God ,(2 Cor.11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light). I hear what you’re saying, concerning the "digging" to find it.

Many, because they aren’t taught the truth, from ministers who’s really not sent by Jesus or Jehovah God ,(2 Cor.11:13-15 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ….), not understand and misinterpret what Jesus say here…(Matt.5:29 and Matthew 5:21-23)

this one here…(Matt.25:41- Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels), if I’m truly seeking, i would be asking a question. Why!.. if demons ALREADY live in a “hellfire” be hurt by a fire? Many don’t ask, they just accept their ministers words.

The “everlasting fire” Jesus speaks of is symbolic! Many believe when he said…(John 10:30 -I and my Father are one). so why not believe Jesus wouldn’t teach a place where the wicked dead will go. Knowing his Father NEVER created or said he did,(Gen.2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. (God didn’t say they will go to a fiery place because they sinned). All Heavenly being understand humans knows what fire can do, totally destroy. This is why many times they use fire.

If one reads.. Rev.20:10-15, (posting the keep parts), "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever". (This is shown by many ministers, it helps them with their lies of a hellfire. But notice here)…"And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works". (the sea gave up hell?.. also death! This meant the dead bodies in the sea, be-it by drowning, or put there. the sea was a grave for those bodies. So looking back at all the scriptures, proves one thing…the false teaching of the word hell, is only man’s grave

Servants of God, before Jesus was sent to earth, spoke of “hell”…(Psa.16:8-11- shows David ,(a faithful man) ,talks about God not "leaving his soul in hell, not even to see corruption", (decaying). Notice David saying… “my flesh also shall rest in hope“ (if the false teachings of hell was a place demons torture the wicked and sinners, why would David say “his flesh shall rest? Hell wouldn‘t be in a place of resting.

Jonah 2:1,2- Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly, And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.( was Jonah being tortured by demons?, was there fire in the fish belly?…no!) the soul many believe that leaves a dead body, doesn’t! because the SOUL…IS a living body, (1Cor.15:45 -And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul).

Jesus said…(Luke 12:19- And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. (if souls were ghost there would be no need to eat and drink). Hell isn’t a fiery place, Jehovah never created one, Jesus teachings wasn’t concerning a literal fiery place, and satan does his word well, but not that well! peace

Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Hell is not a physical place as the realm of the flesh , or a place were you can dig it up and find hell.... This is a place the is spiritual in a different nature, were physics logic will not see, ..... See Hell is the place were there is a great gulf which will separate all spirit from getting to the earth, it a spirit where souls die and only spirits will go... Man has a spirit and a soul and will require that the soul is developed into the fruits of the spirit of Christ to be strong enough to pass of hell and go to Heaven , so People will need Christ to develop their soul or it will die .... Had a spiritual vision in the spirit of the great cliff some hundreds of feet deep with large smoke clouds coming out of the hole , then there was many long eared bull fallen angels and bear fallen angels running away from me as I came closer, then I fell over the side of this hole cliff , but Jesus spirit took me out of the visions and told me demon spirits are responsible for this vision ... Jesus waits for faith to move ...Hell is like a bad dream and people spirit who go there never wake up.... ....

Old 03-13-2012, 04:43 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The popular image of Hell as smelling like rotten eggs and being full of fire and flaming liquid- looks and seems a lot like the inside of a volcano. Of course, ancient people wouldn't mistake the two, right?
Right.

I used to believe in all that hell stuff but I've come to understand that none of it is true, even as a UR they don't believe in it either. There's no such place, it's a pagan myth. But man, has it ever developed into a monster of a thing, leaving people shaking in their boots if they don't "believe". I was even told as a UR Christian that I wasn't a Christian because I didn't believe in the long-believed fairy tale of eternal torment and a literal hell.

It's an awful teaching that needs to go the way of the ancient ignorant savages who wrote the Bible to begin with....away.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:44 PM

525 posts, read 348,594 times
WordClock,

re: "It is clearly written many, many times in the Bible that your body (physical) goes to the ground and your spirit (non-physical) goes to Sheol...translated as Hell."

Actually, Ecclesiastes 12:7 says that the spirit returns to God who gave it.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 PM

525 posts, read 348,594 times
hackwrench,

re: "I have always maintained that God doesn't send you to hell, you send yourself to hell."

Revelation 20:15 would seem to disagree with that comment: "And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire."

Old 03-24-2012, 04:42 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,164,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Many religions teach that hell is a physical place somewhere beneath the earth's surface.

If this is true, then shouldn't we theoretically be able to dig into the earth and find hell with all the sinful people who have ever lived and then died being tormented there?

If not, then where does hell really exist?
There are two worlds... the earth and the spirit. Hell is not beneath the earth... that's where oil is located and a bunch of other gases, etc.

It's above the earth. Frankly, I'd rather not be subjected to people's torments, but the good news is... like everything in life... it's only temporary.

Hell and the Duration of Punishment

Old 03-24-2012, 09:30 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,047,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
There are two worlds... the earth and the spirit. Hell is not beneath the earth... that's where oil is located and a bunch of other gases, etc.

It's above the earth. Frankly, I'd rather not be subjected to people's torments, but the good news is... like everything in life... it's only temporary.

Hell and the Duration of Punishment

Try this link instead: http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...land-dead.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality