Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 07:35 AM

679 posts, read 1,439,965 times

Advertisements

See
here, it can work on people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 07:20 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,647,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
This is like an episode of the Dog Whisperer. Next time they start up just SSSHHTT!! and touch them on the neck.
oh my god! that is so hilarious! thank you phillychief for that comment!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:26 AM

679 posts, read 1,439,965 times
Become a calm assertive pack leader, nicolepsy.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:27 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,647,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
See
here, it can work on people.
okay, i think i know now how to deal with them. i wont be aggressive, just dominant. (great southpark video!)

Old 12-15-2007, 12:05 PM

7 posts, read 14,580 times
Default I read your message

This may be a little too late reply but i did a web search and found your message. I know how you feel. My MIL lives up the road. Ever since i met her she has been nothing but a total over the top born again pusher. I told her so many times religion was personal but now she has her son, my husband doing it. She won't give up until she gives all of us a nervous breakdown. My husband belongs to a non denominational church... and all they do is preach about getting rich and ask for money. I dread Sundays... and now he got tickets to a christmas party (which i did not give my consent to) that i have to attend tonight at 7pm and then we have to wake up in the morning to go to church. Sunday service starts at 9:45 and we don't get out until 1 or 1:30. He is part of the music team.

Ask this question... what made them like this? My MIL started doing this when her husband was diagnosed with cancer and her other son became disabled from smoking angel dust. Since then, her husband has passed away and her son won't ever come to chruch...all we do is fight, so is this helping anyone? What she really needs is a good therapist. I still don't know the answer, except try to make compromises, stay home half the time, and only go when you want to just to keep the peace.

D

Old 12-15-2007, 12:10 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,237,991 times
When possible I'd go for a clean break.
It worked wonders for me to not be around my family anymore and only deal with them on special occasions.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:03 PM

69 posts, read 211,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
advise please: my husband's family are evangelical christians. it seems that their whole lives are centered around god and the bible. they appear normal on the outside but are really heavy duty with the church and god thing. that of course is their right but they cant seem to stop trying to convert me. it seems they think i am a heathen even though i am a really good person and am actually pretty "spiritual" in a sense. they have gone so far as to send me a letter full of gobbledy **** nonsense about how i need to know the truth and find jesus blah blah blah. i was a bit hurt that they cant seem to accept me as i am. they have made me feel like i am not good enough to be a part of their family. truth be told i may just be a better human being than some of them even though i dont attend a church or subscribe to their beliefs. part of me just wants to stay as far away as possible from them (pretty easy since i live in another state but also not easy when it comes to family vacations together and phone calls). how do i deal with this situation?
i cant very well lose my temper but i fear this will never stop. why cant they understand that there are tons of really great people out there that dont believe what they believe in? what to do?

Well, heathens are pretty good people. I am a Pagan, but some would call me a heathen. Most heathens believe in the nordic gods such as Woden/Wodan, and most heathens and Pagans I know are good people. I would not be concerned about being called a heathen because to me it is not a bad word. You could always tell them you believe in the heathen Gods!

Old 12-15-2007, 03:03 PM

7,942 posts, read 9,160,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
advise please: my husband's family are evangelical christians. it seems that their whole lives are centered around god and the bible. they appear normal on the outside but are really heavy duty with the church and god thing. that of course is their right but they cant seem to stop trying to convert me. it seems they think i am a heathen even though i am a really good person and am actually pretty "spiritual" in a sense. they have gone so far as to send me a letter full of gobbledy **** nonsense about how i need to know the truth and find jesus blah blah blah. i was a bit hurt that they cant seem to accept me as i am. they have made me feel like i am not good enough to be a part of their family. truth be told i may just be a better human being than some of them even though i dont attend a church or subscribe to their beliefs. part of me just wants to stay as far away as possible from them (pretty easy since i live in another state but also not easy when it comes to family vacations together and phone calls). how do i deal with this situation?
i cant very well lose my temper but i fear this will never stop. why cant they understand that there are tons of really great people out there that dont believe what they believe in? what to do?
Tell them you've decided to start worshipping Satan, and you'd like to talk to them about joining your "anti church". That should immediately stop all phone calls and family vacations

Old 12-15-2007, 03:25 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoohappy View Post
This may be a little too late reply but i did a web search and found your message. I know how you feel. My MIL lives up the road. Ever since i met her she has been nothing but a total over the top born again pusher. I told her so many times religion was personal but now she has her son, my husband doing it. She won't give up until she gives all of us a nervous breakdown. My husband belongs to a non denominational church... and all they do is preach about getting rich and ask for money. I dread Sundays... and now he got tickets to a christmas party (which i did not give my consent to) that i have to attend tonight at 7pm and then we have to wake up in the morning to go to church. Sunday service starts at 9:45 and we don't get out until 1 or 1:30. He is part of the music team.

Ask this question... what made them like this? My MIL started doing this when her husband was diagnosed with cancer and her other son became disabled from smoking angel dust. Since then, her husband has passed away and her son won't ever come to chruch...all we do is fight, so is this helping anyone? What she really needs is a good therapist. I still don't know the answer, except try to make compromises, stay home half the time, and only go when you want to just to keep the peace.

D
Yeah, no big surprise anymore to hear things like this happening. I hear and see these things all the time and constantly hear "Well, that's not Christian" but indeed it seems like the refining theme throughout Christianity doesn't it? I think you should give them all a nice big Christmas present. It's a wonderful idea! Christopher Hitchens' God is not Great. It'll make for an excellent read!

Old 12-15-2007, 04:57 PM

919 posts, read 3,185,590 times
I never met a heathen i did not like, hate to say it, but i met alot of religious people who know nothing bout kindness or love....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality