Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:50 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times

Advertisements

one thing that turns me off about organized religion is that there are so many different religions and churches and they don't seem to accept each other and even compete or badmouth each other. why is this so? i tend to believe in just one higher power but i'm wondering if most people believe in more than one? why is there so much intolerance of other religions? i thought god or jesus was all about love and brotherhood. maybe a good new religion could be based on just being human and not classifying yourself as baptist or evangelical christian or catholic or hindu. maybe all these religions could merge together like the new fad of hybrid designer dog breeding and the new hybrid religion could be called bapduchristolic (or something like that). somebody come up with a new hybrid religion name to make me laugh please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 07:17 AM

443 posts, read 1,793,319 times
Just believe in God (Jesus), and do good and avoid evil

Old 09-17-2007, 07:45 AM

679 posts, read 1,439,823 times
I just heard about this new religion which looks like the "hybrid" you're talking about, nicolepsy. I haven't looked to closely at it, but maybe they outline what you're talking about.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:49 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
There's only one God and he is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, whose Hebrew name is Yaweh, Ayel, Adonai, Elohim, Hakadosh, Elah, and Eloah, and whose Christian name is The Father, the Son and The Holy Spirit.

Most Christian denominations do acknowledge the Trinity, and I think you might be turned off by "religion" because of the confusion. There is no confusion, and your best bet is to try an Evangelist/Bible-based church, that follows the exact teachings of Jesus.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:56 AM

Default It's Simple

So to answer your question about why different religions don't accept one another and are intolerant, look no further than what Mike just said. Basically, they're right, the others are wrong. End of story.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 AM

38 posts, read 90,059 times
Default God

The supreme being, whose distinctive name is Jehovah. The hebrew language uses terms for God that convey the idea of strenth, also of majesty, dignity, and excellence. In contrast to the true God, there are false gods, some of these have set themselves up as gods, others have been made objects of worship by those who serve them.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:09 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Most gods are the creation of man. Pagans made this a fine art. The better the "craftsman" the better the god. Then add intellect, and you have a inspired god... which can be explained by the intellects, who can justified and explain the nature of their god.
Then there are those that elevate man to a god. The Egyptians were a good example... but still at the hand of man.

When the "nature" of a god can be completely explained, then you have a false god. Humans pride themselves in their intellect, in their own understanding, their intellectual mastery of the unknown. However when we discover something that is unexplainable in finite terms, we deny it's existence. It is "our" nature. Not good or bad... just is. However not everything can be explained or will be explained.

Faith... is the force by which man's incompleteness is revealed, and God's sovereignty is established. Presumption and faith... are very, very close, therefore it takes 'something" for discernment to be part of the equation. We should seek to understand and THEN be understood. So what is that something? that makes a Christian so darn sure? about God?

(a) is it religious arrogance?
(b) just plain ignorance?
(c) needs unfulfilled?
(d) hope?
(e) none of the above?

and again... it bring us right back to faith. The answers exist... the right questions reveal the truth... and truth, does NOT come by the hand of man. There is a way, and there is truth and there is life.

There is none so blind who will not see.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:24 PM

Did this in any way answer the question on religious intolerance?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:40 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
I believe the thread is titled :how many gods are there?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I believe the thread is titled: how many gods are there?
Yes, yes it is, and according to Mike, there is only one with three names as far as his brand of Christian is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
[b][color=navy]There's only one God whose Christian name is The Father, the Son and The Holy Spirit.
Oh, by the way, Mike, you forgot Jehovah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality