Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you want to spend eternity with God? It's not about heaven or hell. Would you want to be aroun
Yes 19 31.67%
No 41 68.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I thought you were going to break my little sterotype.

But instead.......
You misunderstand, as do most theists, and for the same reason - that ALL their thinking, arguments and accusations are based on the assumption that the god they believe in is real.

Thus, when we point out, quite dispassionately, that the God described in the Bible is an appalling, dishonest and cynical monster, you take it that we accept the existence of this God and hate him, for reasons that you won't accept of course.

But as explained above by the Hama, we don't believe in that mythical being and so cannot get as far as personal feelings about what doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
But there are different interpretations of the Abrahamic god. It isn't as easy as saying "yes" or "no" because there is no agreed upon consensus on what the Abrahamic god would be like. The whole reason there are religion and sects is because no one can agree on what the Abrahamic god is really like, or what his deal is.

If you were to be more specific as to which flavor of Abrahamic god you mean, it would be an easier question to answer.
That's why I couldn't take the test. I didn't know which Biblegod we were talking about. In fact it is a false dichotomy because we are given only one choice of god and thus it is a loaded question - one either is declaring that one likes this god enough to want to spend eternity with it (make that Him) or any other answer would be a declaration of God -hate.

I'm not sure whether the poll was intentionally slanted to make unbelievers or agnostics look either believers who needed some encouragement or God- haters (Ha! we always said so!) but that is the effect of this rather loaded Q.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 AM

434 posts, read 342,398 times
To him, all 'God haters' are alike, perhaps

No devil in the details

Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
I am not talking about religion or sects. I am talking about God, the eternal being that we have all heard of whether we believe in Him or not.
I've heard about lots of very different versions of god(s). Until you can explain which one you're talking about, there's simply no way to answer your question.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
There is no way to answer the question because there is no proof of god, judeo-christian or otherwise. Until that point in time where there is no doubt that god is real, all you have are books. So let me tell you what I think about the god portrayed in these books.

Manipulative, evil, hateful, spiteful, vengeful, self serving, doesn't support equality. Funny how all of these characteristics reflect the nature of man, especially men back in the days when those books were supposedly written. So the god of the judeo-christian bible isn't anywhere near as special as you think. He thinks like a dictator and acts like a spoiled child when he can't get his own way.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:32 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
I've heard about lots of very different versions of god(s). Until you can explain which one you're talking about, there's simply no way to answer your question.
Okay, fair enough. I'm talking about God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. I'm talking about the Jesus you read about in the New Testament of the Bible.

And there was no intention in creating the poll to make people out to look like God haters, it was simply out of interest in what people believe about God versus Christians.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:53 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
Quote:
Okay, fair enough. I'm talking about God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. I'm talking about the Jesus you read about in the New Testament of the Bible.

And there was no intention in creating the poll to make people out to look like God haters, it was simply out of interest in what people believe about God versus Christians.
But how can you separate the two especially in light of your first statements? If Jesus and Holy Spirit are involved, you have to be speaking of the Christian version of God, don't you? Why would a non-Christian of any sort have an opinion on it? The question really makes no sense to anyone other than Christians.

FWIW, if the afterlife is as the elders of my Comanche Nation state, it'll all be good.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:

Well there's the problem. If that's the god you were talking about (and I imagine that's what we all supposed) while we could happily live in the blinding white apartments researching history on our celestial computers and closing the windows to keep out the sound of the heavenly choruses of praise that go on eternally from the leather-lunged faithful, the god as described is not going to let it go at that.

Because we could not believe in the Bible -claims and frankly He did go go out of His way to clear the matter up, if we don't actually get sent to the slave -pits, we are constantly going to be dragooned into praising sessions - no slacking you atheists - more worship. I need more - you have sixty years of unbelief to make up for.

While I'm pretty tolerant about noisy neighbours, that one would be damned hard to live with.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-29-2012 at 09:59 AM..

Old 08-29-2012, 10:03 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
But how can you separate the two especially in light of your first statements? If Jesus and Holy Spirit are involved, you have to be speaking of the Christian version of God, don't you? Why would a non-Christian of any sort have an opinion on it? The question really makes no sense to anyone other than Christians.

FWIW, if the afterlife is as the elders of my Comanche Nation state, it'll all be good.
Because so many times people talk about how bad Christians are, how bad religion is etc. So taking the Christians out of the equation and looking only at God, would you want to live in eternity with Him?

And I do disagree that the statement that it makes no sense to anyone other than Christians. I'm not posing this question toward any specific group of people. One can not hold to any specific religious belief and yet still have belief in an afterlife and an Almighty God. If it doesn't apply to you then that's okay, but it may apply to others.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:21 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Quote:
Because so many times people talk about how bad Christians are, how bad religion is etc. So taking the Christians out of the equation and looking only at God, would you want to live in eternity with Him?

And I do disagree that the statement that it makes no sense to anyone other than Christians. I'm not posing this question toward any specific group of people. One can not hold to any specific religious belief and yet still have belief in an afterlife and an Almighty God. If it doesn't apply to you then that's okay, but it may apply to others.
Just to give some perspective: As a Jew, your question makes no sense to me. I don't believe in the Trinity or Jesus. My idea of God is vastly different than a Christian, and your question is therefore unanswerable.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
There's only one. The One who created you.
My parents created me. Here's a video to educate yourself on how babies are made;

Fertilisation of the egg with sperm in the IVF lab - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality