Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:21 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times

Advertisements

greyfrairs Bobby he was called. He also was given the keys to the city I think they also have his statue there that is visited by many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 01:24 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
greyfrairs Bobby he was called.
Oh! Is that the name of the constable, or the dog? -Yes, it's a serious question!

Old 10-14-2007, 02:58 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
LOL...I'm pretty sure that my dogs know I'm the alpha in the house...but the dog that used to bark if someone was yelling was blind..and I think it freaked her out...the others just ignore it...I'm a yeller so if I want their attention I have to speak in a different tone. What is the Dog Whisperer someone else mentioned that, is it a show?
Wow I can't believe you never heard of him. I think his show is on National Geographic Channel, but sometimes it's on the other learning channels as well. (TLC, Discovery, etc...) He has a great knack for having the ability to walk up to any dog, regardless of how volatile it is, and he'll slip a 25 cent leash around its' neck and take it for a walk with no problem. He explains a lot of things on his show, but it surprises me with the popularity he has received, how people still don't get it

Old 10-14-2007, 07:26 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Wow I can't believe you never heard of him. I think his show is on National Geographic Channel, but sometimes it's on the other learning channels as well. (TLC, Discovery, etc...) He has a great knack for having the ability to walk up to any dog, regardless of how volatile it is, and he'll slip a 25 cent leash around its' neck and take it for a walk with no problem. He explains a lot of things on his show, but it surprises me with the popularity he has received, how people still don't get it
Cesar Millan, The Dog Whisperer, is a great man.
Everybody who owns dogs should check him out!

To stay on-topic: No, animals don't have souls.
However, if you believe that humans have souls, then you should believe that animals do. Humans are animals. Remember the Transitive Property from Geometry class?

Old 10-15-2007, 02:17 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Thumbs up Humans are animals too!

According to Buddhism animals must have souls because a person could be reborn as an animal.
I don't see why animals can't have souls.
Don't they feel emotions? Don't they also have brains?

Quote:
Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands, organs,
dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with
the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject
to the same diseases, heal'd by the same means,
warm'd and cool'd by the same winter and summer
as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed?
If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us,
do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that.
If a Jew wrong a Christian, what is his humility?
Revenge. If a Christian wrong a Jew, what should his
sufferance be by Christian example? Why, revenge.
The villainy you teach me, I will execute,
and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.
William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616),
The Merchant of Venice
Act III, scene I

Old 10-20-2007, 07:58 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
To stay on-topic: No, animals don't have souls.
However, if you believe that humans have souls, then you should believe that animals do. Humans are animals. Remember the Transitive Property from Geometry class?
I don't think that's how the transitive property works. You could use it to say that humans have souls if animals have souls because humans are animals:
All humans are animals.
All animals have souls.
Therefore all humans have souls.

That works, but if you say:

All humans are animals.
All humans have souls.
Therefore all animals have souls?

No, that doesn't follow the transitive property.

That's like saying:
All birds are animals.
All birds have feathers.
All animals have feathers.
See why that doesn't work?

Anyway, I don't know if I believe in souls at all, but I think that if there are such things as souls, there is no reason why they would be unique to humans. I don't know that all creatures necessarily have them either, like bugs for example. I don't know where the line would be drawn though, I think it's a tough question. BUT, I think that the only reason to think that souls would be unique to humans would be because humans are somehow specifically special in "God's eyes", such as being "made in the image of God" which I think some people interpret to mean that humans uniquely have souls. I do not believe this, so I don't think that souls are unique to humans. Surely, I think that IF I have a soul, then my dog does too though.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:43 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,567 times
Sorry, cat's don't go to heaven.

If my terriers got into heaven, and there were cats there... it'd be a blood bath in paradise.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:58 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
According to quanum physics there is consciousness in everything, and that to me is the soul that the bible speaks of. So I would say that all living things have a soul. This consciousness isn't what you think of as being awake. It is not conciousness vs subconsciousness. It is said that there was One Consciousness that created everything, according to quantum physics, and we are all part of that one Consciousness. I think that is what the Bible means by "God is everywhere."

Old 10-20-2007, 04:30 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I don't think that's how the transitive property works. You could use it to say that humans have souls if animals have souls because humans are animals:
All humans are animals.
All animals have souls.
Therefore all humans have souls.

That works, but if you say:

All humans are animals.
All humans have souls.
Therefore all animals have souls?

No, that doesn't follow the transitive property.

That's like saying:
All birds are animals.
All birds have feathers.
All animals have feathers.
See why that doesn't work?
Right, only your 1st example as well as the converse one (below) work:

All humans are animals.
No animals have souls.
Therefore no humans have souls.

The main point is sentence #1: ALL HUMANS ARE ANIMALS.
Therefore our spiritual analyses of humans should extend to animals as well.

Quote:
Anyway, I don't know if I believe in souls at all, but I think that if there are such things as souls, there is no reason why they would be unique to humans. I don't know that all creatures necessarily have them either, like bugs for example. I don't know where the line would be drawn though, I think it's a tough question. BUT, I think that the only reason to think that souls would be unique to humans would be because humans are somehow specifically special in "God's eyes", such as being "made in the image of God" which I think some people interpret to mean that humans uniquely have souls. I do not believe this, so I don't think that souls are unique to humans. Surely, I think that IF I have a soul, then my dog does too though.
I agree. Personally I don't believe that humans have souls. That's why I say that animals also do not. If I did believe that humans had souls, I would also believe that animals do.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:05 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
Why or why not?

Proof, either way?

Is there an afterlife for animals?
disclaimer: these are just opinions don't take them as the absolute truth

Why? because they have feelings, they can be happy or sad and they are also sensitive to your feelings, I guess that would be the proof too.

is there an afterlife for animals?

well if you believe in reincarnation for sure, we are all childrens of God, some more evolved than others and we are under an evolutionary process to return to our heavenly father/mother, we human beings reincarnate too until we attain self realization like Jesus Christ, Buddha, Krishna and other great men of God did.

Love and Light!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality