Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The idea that there is a "God's Plan" and the concept of "free will" are mutually exclusive.

Since God apparently fulfills "prophecies" then that further indicates that there is no such thing as "free will" as "free will" could muck up God's "prophecies."

Unfortunately logic has no real place in the mind of a believer,
Nice post Eddie. But I would say "logic has no real place in the minds of **some** believers." Otherwise it is an overstatement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Nice post Eddie. But I would say "logic has no real place in the minds of **some** believers." Otherwise it is an overstatement.
Believing in Biblegod is not logical. That is why it requires "faith". Faith in and of it'self is a bizarre construct because basically it is believe without evidence.

I will grant you that believers may not be illogical in terms of other areas of their life. For instance MOST believers realize that it is dangerous to handle poisonious snakes. But not all of them.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Believing in Biblegod is not logical. That is why it requires "faith". Faith in and of it'self is a bizarre construct because basically it is believe without evidence.

I will grant you that believers may not be illogical in terms of other areas of their life. For instance MOST believers realize that it is dangerous to handle poisonious snakes. But not all of them.
There are quite a few Bible commentaries which use logic. Go to Concordant.org and read some of the writings of James Coram and see how logic inheres within what he writes.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
Quote:
The idea that there is a "God's Plan" and the concept of "free will" are mutually exclusive.

Since God apparently fulfills "prophecies" then that further indicates that there is no such thing as "free will" as "free will" could muck up God's "prophecies."

Unfortunately logic has no real place in the mind of a believer,
This is on the reasons I could never be a true believer. If instead God had, say, God's Desire, or God's Hope, then maybe I could get on board. But the notion that God has an infallible plan basically negates our existence. It turns us all into puppets, and any conception of the universe where we exist as nothing but puppets is one not worth considering.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
This is on the reasons I could never be a true believer. If instead God had, say, God's Desire, or God's Hope, then maybe I could get on board. But the notion that God has an infallible plan basically negates our existence. It turns us all into puppets, and any conception of the universe where we exist as nothing but puppets is one not worth considering.
It's much worse than being puppets. Rather, the bible says we are clay pots fashioned by the Potter for a very specific function.
Romans 9:19-23 You will be protesting to me, then, "Why, then, is He still blaming? for who has withstood
His intention? (20) O man! who are you, to be sure, who are answering again to God? That which is
molded will not protest to the molder, "Why do you make me thus? (21) Or has not the potter the right
over the clay, out of the same kneading to make one vessel, indeed, for honor, yet one for dishonor? (22)
Now if God, wanting to display His indignation and to make His powerful doings known, carries, with much
patience, the vessels of indignation, adapted for destruction, (23) it is that He should also be making
known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He makes ready before for glory -"

But please don't stop there; go to Romans 11:32 for "the rest of the story," one with a glorious end for all.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
It's much worse than being puppets. Rather, the bible says we are clay pots fashioned by the Potter for a very specific function.
Romans 9:19-23 You will be protesting to me, then, "Why, then, is He still blaming? for who has withstood
His intention? (20) O man! who are you, to be sure, who are answering again to God? That which is
molded will not protest to the molder, "Why do you make me thus? (21) Or has not the potter the right
over the clay, out of the same kneading to make one vessel, indeed, for honor, yet one for dishonor? (22)
Now if God, wanting to display His indignation and to make His powerful doings known, carries, with much
patience, the vessels of indignation, adapted for destruction, (23) it is that He should also be making
known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He makes ready before for glory -"

But please don't stop there; go to Romans 11:32 for "the rest of the story," one with a glorious end for all.
So, so gross. I still hold the opinion that any notion of the universe wherein we are mere puppets/clay pots would require an inherently evil god, or at best, a needlessly cruel one.

But hey, to each his own.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
So, so gross. I still hold the opinion that any notion of the universe wherein we are mere puppets/clay pots would require an inherently evil god, or at best, a needlessly cruel one.

But hey, to each his own.
O.K. tell me what you are free to do. Are people free to quit smoking cigarettes?

Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
O.K. tell me what you are free to do. Are people free to quit smoking cigarettes?
Absolutely, as I believe in free will, unencumbered by the will of some deity. Whether one succeeds at quitting smoking is entirely up to that person. Maybe he or she can quit on his or her own. Maybe he or she needs a support group or medicinal help.

But in the end, the result is based on our actions. No puppetry needed.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:29 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So, are you saying that DOWN did not exist, but God created UP, and then had to create DOWN in opposition to it, so people (aka His Children) could experience UP? God created darkness, so people could see what His light was like? God created Slow so people could see what Fast was like? God created Square so people could see what Round was like? God created Crooked, so people could see what Straight was like? God created Inorganic so people could see what Organic was like? God created Stupid (aka His Children), so people could see what Smart was like?

I am saying what I said and its quite clear. The plan of salvation was not possible without evil being included; listen, once God has done something- it couldnot have been done in a better way; God included evil into our experience, so evil is just as important as good in his plans; that must be understood.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
here is God's plan. life, truth and love.
here is not god's plan, sickness sin and death
In the Bible God ordered murder, slavery, and rape. I don't consider these either life, truth, or love, but closer to sickness, sin, and death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality