Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:07 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,230,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
If you believe you were 'created' (or born) to be heterosexual, then obviously you didn't 'choose' to be heterosexual.
No...I choose heterosexual sexual acts. But again...I'm a man. Created for a woman.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:26 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,249,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No...I choose heterosexual sexual acts. But again...I'm a man. Created for a woman.
I'm sure your wife approves of you choosing heterosexual acts.

If, of course, she has also chosen to act heterosexually.

Which I'm sure she has.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:52 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,410,277 times
Quote:
So basically you don't understand what sexual orientation is.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:35 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,896,132 times
Quote:
(Is this where I chime in with 'strong enough for a man. but made for a woman' jokes? )

Seriously, though, if you were 'created for a woman', then it's not a choice. It's the nature of your 'design'. You are not attracted to men, and you can't change that.

Which means that you acknowledge that homosexuality is not a 'choice', either, else we're looking at two different 'creations'.

Logic is fun, folks.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
(Is this where I chime in with 'strong enough for a man. but made for a woman' jokes? )

Seriously, though, if you were 'created for a woman', then it's not a choice. It's the nature of your 'design'. You are not attracted to men, and you can't change that.

Which means that you acknowledge that homosexuality is not a 'choice', either, else we're looking at two different 'creations'.

Logic is fun, folks.
You're making assumptions based on no facts that homosexuality is an "orientation".

All men were created to be with women. That's how God did it. Do some go against that? Yup.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:27 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,795,114 times
Quote:
You're making assumptions based on no facts that homosexuality is an "orientation".

All men were created to be with women. That's how God did it. Do some go against that? Yup.
But it appears that there are a raft of biological differences between homosexuals and heterosexuals. There appears to be some men who are "created to be with" other men, as their brains respond like that of a heterosexual female, they respond to pheromones and scent cues like a heterosexual female, and there are structural differences not only in the brain but throughout the body. If a woman is "designed" for a man, how can a man who is "wired" like a woman not also be "meant" for a man?

Edit: Meant to add a link here. Here a good overview of the current state of research into this. I ran across a lot of this in a book, "A billion wicked thoughts" which looked at human sexuality by using statistical data from the internet, and tied it back into current research. A very interesting read...

I understand you point about genetics. I don't think genetic alone can account for the entire spectrum of human sexual behavior. There are several proposed biological mechanisms, and well as genetics. This can also be combined with sociological influences and personal experiences. I don't think we have the ability at this point, and maybe never will, to point to a single factor and say, "This determines human sexuality", but we can clearly see that it isn't simply a choice unless you chose your genetics, uterine and pre-natal hormonal environments, and early childhood cognitive development. I don't remember making those choices. Do you?

I understand your position, but I think you would be in a more defensible position to say that orientation is biological reality. You can still say that it is wrong, and that your god requires his followers to not act on these innate desires. In that sense it is no different that requiring heterosexual priests to be celibate.

One of my major issues is this idea that even the desire is evil. It leads to people living a life where they have to hide who they are, even from themselves. Even if your god exists, I don't think he would intend a lifetime of guilt, shame, fear, mental (or physical) self flagellation, and self -loathing for his children. What you are preaching isn't good news, its horrific. If the church would acknowledge homosexuality as a fact of life, and choose to address the behavior, not demonize the desire, I think you would find more homosexuals who could make the choice to live a celibate, "godly" life, knowing that who they are is not something to be ashamed of, even if God does require them to not act on those desires.

-NoCapo

Last edited by NoCapo; 03-10-2013 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,249,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
...snip...
One of my major issues is this idea that even the desire is evil. It leads to people living a life where they have to hide who they are, even from themselves. Even if your god exists, I don't think he would intend a lifetime of guilt, shame, fear, mental (or physical) self flagellation, and self -loathing for his children. What you are preaching isn't good news, its horrific. If the church would acknowledge homosexuality as a fact of life, and choose to address the behavior, not demonize the desire, I think you would find more homosexuals who could make the choice to live a celibate, "godly" life, knowing that who they are is not something to be ashamed of, even if God does require them to not act on those desires.

-NoCapo
Excellent point.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
But it appears that there are a raft of biological differences between homosexuals and heterosexuals. There appears to be some men who are "created to be with" other men, as their brains respond like that of a heterosexual female, they respond to pheromones and scent cues like a heterosexual female, and there are structural differences not only in the brain but throughout the body. If a woman is "designed" for a man, how can a man who is "wired" like a woman not also be "meant" for a man?

Edit: Meant to add a link here. Here a good overview of the current state of research into this. I ran across a lot of this in a book, "A billion wicked thoughts" which looked at human sexuality by using statistical data from the internet, and tied it back into current research. A very interesting read...
There are all sorts of people "created with" a desire for bad things...like alcoholic tendencies. Or pedophiles that crave sex with children. Is that ok, too?

Quote:
I understand you point about genetics. I don't think genetic alone can account for the entire spectrum of human sexual behavior. There are several proposed biological mechanisms, and well as genetics. This can also be combined with sociological influences and personal experiences. I don't think we have the ability at this point, and maybe never will, to point to a single factor and say, "This determines human sexuality", but we can clearly see that it isn't simply a choice unless you chose your genetics, uterine and pre-natal hormonal environments, and early childhood cognitive development. I don't remember making those choices. Do you?
I like women a lot. Am I excused from the bounds of monogamy because of that? Or am I to hold to my marital vows? Suppose a pedophile likes children....is he/she excused from the behavior simply because they think they were born that way? Or do we expect people to control their urges?
Quote:
I understand your position, but I think you would be in a more defensible position to say that orientation is biological reality. You can still say that it is wrong, and that your god requires his followers to not act on these innate desires. In that sense it is no different that requiring heterosexual priests to be celibate.
I'm sorry. God made people male and female. He has stated that burning with a desire for someone of the same gender is wrong. God did not make an "orientation" that differs from gender any more than he created a pedophile.
Quote:

-NoCapo
Why not? Shame is a gift from God. It keeps us from doing things that we know are wrong.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:37 PM

794 posts, read 1,411,518 times
Quote:
There are all sorts of people "created with" a desire for bad things...like alcoholic tendencies. Or pedophiles that crave sex with children. Is that ok, too?

I like women a lot. Am I excused from the bounds of monogamy because of that? Or am I to hold to my marital vows? Suppose a pedophile likes children....is he/she excused from the behavior simply because they think they were born that way? Or do we expect people to control their urges?

I'm sorry. God made people male and female. He has stated that burning with a desire for someone of the same gender is wrong. God did not make an "orientation" that differs from gender any more than he created a pedophile.

Why not? Shame is a gift from God. It keeps us from doing things that we know are wrong.
Why is sex bad?

Of course pedophilia is wrong, children cannot consent.

Talk to your partner about monogamy. If you promise them to be monogamous, then do it.

Your god also said eating lobster is wrong.

Are you not a creationist any more?

Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Why is sex bad?
It's not. It's great. God gave it to us as a gift to be enjoyed between married couples.
Quote:
Of course pedophilia is wrong, children cannot consent.
But what if they really really feel they're born that way?
Quote:
Talk to your partner about monogamy. If you promise them to be monogamous, then do it.

Your god also said eating lobster is wrong.
He never said Christians couldn't eat lobster. You really need to understand context.
Quote:
Are you not a creationist any more?
Of course I am. But God doesn't create a serial rapist to be a serial rapist. Nor a pedophile to be a pedophile, or a homosexual offender to commit homosexual acts. Or adulterers to commit adultery. We sin against God because we are sinners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality