Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 03:02 PM

88,792 posts, read 85,187,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post

I would think your God has better things to do than to find you a parking space.

Haven't seen that photo in years. The photographer committed suicide not long after he took it. He was criticized for taking pictures rather than helping the girl (but that wasn't necessarily the reason for his suicide).

Just FYI, the girl is trying to make her way toward a place beyond the range of the camera where food and water is being given out.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 PM

11,334 posts, read 11,087,961 times
[quote=gentlearts;28963440]
Quote:
Firstly, whether you believe in the power of prayer or not, you should be grateful for the warm love of your friends, who are putting positive energy out there on your behalf. It could not hurt.
I agree with this sentiment, and if it makes them feel better for doing so, what is the loss?

Quote:
Secondly, at the least, you can treat prayer as a method to give your worries and fears away. Whether you believe that God will fix whatever it is you're praying for or not, it is a way of putting them into a "drawer", and your burdens can be lifted.
To me, this screams CRUTCH. If for anything, to approach it from this angle is nothing more than seeing prayer as purely therapeutic in nature. As mentioned above, there is nothing wrong with that, as it is usually for the better of the individual (as I presume it would be in most cases). In other cases, it could actually be disturbing to one's mental health if they put way too much emphasis on it (prayer) and don't receive the expected outcome. How one deals with perceived rejection is very important.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:19 PM

109 posts, read 361,126 times
My bible says in John 9:31, "Now we know that God heareth not sinners; but if any man be a worshiper of God and doeth his will him he heareth." My bible also says in 1st John 3:6 "Whoso abideth in him sinneth not; whosoever sineth hath not seen him neither hath known him." The reason why man's prayers are not answered is because of sin. Man has to repent and give up sin. Romans 6:18 "Being then made free from sin ye become the servants of righteousness." (Jesus) Romans 6:20 "For when ye where the servants of sin ye where free from righteousness."

Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death..(Hell fire and brimstone is the payment for being a sinner and not born again) 1st

John 3:8 "He that commith sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning: For this purpose was the Son of God manifested that he might destroy the works of the devil." Man are doing the devil's dirty work sinning. Jesus told people was to go and sin no more.

John 5:14": Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

John 15:3 "Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you." Only the bible can give you the power to sin not.

1st Cor 15:34": Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

Amen sin not was preached when Moses was around

Exodus 20:"20": And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.

Prayer has everything to do with doing what the bible says.

2nd Kings 20:3": I beseech thee, O LORD, remember now how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore.

Amen so get n your Gospel of Christ the King James bible
Galations 2:17": But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.

It is hard to have one hand in the devil's and the other with God you can't serve sin and Jesus at the same time. You have to give up one to gain the other.

Proverbs 13:15": Good understanding giveth favour: but the way of transgressors is hard.

James 2:19": Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
Believing in God don't impress anybody the devils also believe as well, we have to believe on his word.

John 7:"38": He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

John 14:24": He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Galatians 2:

Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,354,978 times
Quote:
Just FYI, the girl is trying to make her way toward a place beyond the range of the camera where food and water is being given out.
So? This type of scene plays out in Africa every single day. I guess all the starving are just beyond the range of a food station not 6 metres away.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 04-03-2013 at 04:06 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
YOU ARE ON SERIOUS thin ice - you best watch your mouth.
Lol! Or what?

Old 04-03-2013, 03:31 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,940,167 times
BTW, JeeperZ, I actually based a lot of my growing distrust, and eventually utter hatred of, the typical missionary's zeal in the northern Arctic, from the Athabascans through to the eastern Unuit.Inupiat cultures.

I lived in "Tuk", and on a reservation near Deception Landing in the northern Yukon, and several other native cultural centres, and then briefly on the ice with some Inuit hunters as I pursued my professional career as a polar bear research biologist.

They all had some very bad thoughts directed towards the utter lunacy and cultural arrogance of the invasive virus known as "Christian missionaries", those who tried to disrupt the long-establised Inuit customs and their Inuktitut languages. Those bright young ideological missionaries who sternly separated the children from the supposedly Satanic influences of their polygamic parents, even though that culture, like that in the Hawain societies, was harmless. It just wasn't properly Christian enough, right?

Sinners bah! Facts? It's you guys are the constant and relentless sinners!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:39 PM

11,334 posts, read 11,087,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew39abc View Post
My bible says in John 9:31, "Now we know that God heareth not sinners; but if any man be a worshiper of God and doeth his will him he heareth." My bible also says in 1st John 3:6 "Whoso abideth in him sinneth not; whosoever sineth hath not seen him neither hath known him." The reason why man's prayers are not answered is because of sin. Man has to repent and give up sin. Romans 6:18 "Being then made free from sin ye become the servants of righteousness." (Jesus) Romans 6:20 "For when ye where the servants of sin ye where free from righteousness."

Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death..(Hell fire and brimstone is the payment for being a sinner and not born again) 1st

John 3:8 "He that commith sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning: For this purpose was the Son of God manifested that he might destroy the works of the devil." Man are doing the devil's dirty work sinning. Jesus told people was to go and sin no more.

John 5:14": Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

John 15:3 "Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you." Only the bible can give you the power to sin not.

1st Cor 15:34": Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

Amen sin not was preached when Moses was around

Exodus 20:"20": And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.

Prayer has everything to do with doing what the bible says.

2nd Kings 20:3": I beseech thee, O LORD, remember now how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore.

Amen so get n your Gospel of Christ the King James bible
Galations 2:17": But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.

It is hard to have one hand in the devil's and the other with God you can't serve sin and Jesus at the same time. You have to give up one to gain the other.

Proverbs 13:15": Good understanding giveth favour: but the way of transgressors is hard.

James 2:19": Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
Believing in God don't impress anybody the devils also believe as well, we have to believe on his word.

John 7:"38": He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

John 14:24": He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Galatians 2:
Oh no! Another tonytonytony on CD!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:46 PM

109 posts, read 361,126 times
Default Sin no more aa allen man of god king james bible!!!

A. A. Allen Sermon-Go And Sin No More - YouTube

Old 04-03-2013, 04:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,259,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So? This type of scene plays out in Africa every single day. I guess all the starving are just boyond the range of a food station not 6 metres away.
Which brings us back to the OP: Prayer without actual hard work.

I don't think that child suffers because of God's wrath or original sin, BTW. I believe he suffers because we've done a lousy job of taking care of each other and helping each other. We fail to do as we were told by Christ: feed the hungry, take care of the sick. Build a system of food distribution and figure out how to provide clean water to people who have none. (Which is needed not just in Africa but on the rez in the Four Corners region.) And there is LOTS of blame to be passed around because we've all failed to put an end to diarrhea caused by lousy water. No need to stop at rolling your eyes that people pray for parking spaces. If you get my drift.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
They all had some very bad thoughts directed towards the utter lunacy and cultural arrogance of the invasive virus known as "Christian missionaries", those who tried to disrupt the long-establised Inuit customs and their Inuktitut languages. Those bright young ideological missionaries who sternly separated the children from the supposedly Satanic influences of their polygamic parents, even though that culture, like that in the Hawain societies, was harmless. It just wasn't properly Christian enough, right?
The Mount Cashel orphanage, with its physical and sexual abuse and even death will not soon be forgotten. All in the name of convering the little heathens.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 04-03-2013 at 04:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality