Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
My perception is a lot different than yours, and yes the average atheist is in fact smarter than the average Christian.
You're right. Any exploration of facts with a willingness to change as the new things are found will beat blind faith in the intelligence department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 10:55 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Not right no matter athiest or religious mail. Should all be delivered without bias, efficiently.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:20 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
You and I both know that's ridiculous. Or at least you should know. Everyone is discriminated against by someone somewhere but this goes back to what some of the posters on this section of the forjm have emphasized on the statistical views of people towards atheists. Personally, if I like those shoes id buy them why should I care if the person who made them believes in god or not? In addition, its not usps package to do as it will with. Like most people, if i order a package, i expect it delivered. Besides, atheist or not, some people just have a sucky personality. I assure you, it doesn't just exist in atheism.
As I said, Christians and atheists alike face it. When you are so vocal in your position, you will find people that disagree with you. If you're forceful about it, you might face some pushback.

I don't know if anyone watches it, but I watched the show Chopped last night on the food channel. It's where 4 contestants have to make food in 20 minutes or 30 minutes with mystery ingredients. One of the contestants was a mega-church pastor from Houston. I actually thought he was a bit obnoxious....constantly hollering out "hallelujah!". I think it made him look stupid. It's one thing to be outspoken, it's another to be obnoxious.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
The mail must get through!

Old 05-26-2013, 02:37 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Not right no matter athiest or religious mail. Should all be delivered without bias, efficiently.
Of course. These employees do not tell the organization that they do not wish to accept the portion of their salaries that come from atheist taxes, to they? Some people in our country are just as backwards, in many respects, as those in the backwoods of third world countries, but at least those folks do not have the benefit of having an education, so it is partially understandable.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:05 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,970 times
Pardon me....heads should roll, not role...sorry, back on topic

Old 05-26-2013, 08:09 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
It appears as though elements in the US Postal Service have lost their impartiality.

This caught my attention because we have had problems with our post office. Any mail we had of a financial nature got lost. We got tons of junk mail and letters, but any credit card statements and envelopes from investment houses just never arrived. We complained up the PO chain of command, maybe four levels up, to no avail. It obviously affects more than just my husband and me. People in our town have just canceled their credit cards and do financial transaction over the phone or online. Everyone makes a schedule of when bills are to be paid to be sure they are paid on time so our credit ratings are not compromised.

I don't have a lot of respect for them and have no sympathy for their poor financial straights.

So, this an overseas company with a unique name that the postal service seems to be petty about as well:

Study: Packages Sealed with ‘Atheist’ Tape 10 Times More Likely to Disappear | TIME.com

How in the world would the entire postal service know you are athiest? Do you have all of your packaged addressed to:

The athiest: also known as blah, blah jones?

Old 05-26-2013, 08:25 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
My perception is a lot different than yours, and yes the average atheist is in fact smarter than the average Christian.
Your guess. Be smart, but less happy. Enjoy!

Religion and happiness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And more healthy!

Is Religion Good for Your Health? - ABC News

And as for me and my wife, We am smarter than the average atheist. College grads both of us. Professionals in vocations. We are not unique.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:01 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How in the world would the entire postal service know you are athiest? Do you have all of your packaged addressed to:

The athiest: also known as blah, blah jones?
That's not really the point of the experiment.

What we've come upon here is the same issue that surrounds the displaying of the Ten Commandments in a courtroom: when a person steps into a courtroom, they expect that their case will be tried on the facts of the matter, not the personal beliefs of the judge.

The same is true of the postal service. We've come to expect that the US postal service will deliver the mail without bias. Perhaps it's a foolish expectation, but nevertheless, it exists.

If the mail is delayed based on postal employees' personal dislike of atheism, what prevents them from delaying a letter that -- for example -- has a crucifix drawn on it? Or a pentacle? Or a Star of David?

Even more concerning: what's to stop them from redirecting based on a person's race?

Old 05-27-2013, 08:05 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
What dumb comments we have here.
My comment was that there is something wrong with the post office.
My particular mail problem, as that of my town in general, has nothing to do with religion or the lack of it, it has to do with the general malfunction of the postal service in this country.
I have lived in a number of towns and this is the first post office that is so horrid.

The article is an example of the dunces who work in some of these jobs.

My comment was also calling attention to not only the incompetence of whatever postal workers are screwing up the town's financial papers, but also to the impotence of their managers and their manager's managers.

The reason I posted this here is that the atheist mailing problem directly shows the prejudice of the organization, or at least the lower level employees. I think they should not have a union for these clowns and heads should role.
I have the same things often happen with Islamic literature mailed to me from Arabic speaking Nations.

Or rather did have at my previous address, no problems since I moved to a non-biased town.

I suspect it was a local thing. At the past address every package I got from an Arab nation was ripped open, several weeks late in delivery and had a note "Damaged in Shipping" stuck on it.

I can understand and even accept mail from the Mideast will be suspect and can accept any mail I get from there will be inspected. I have no problem with that. Just want them to be honest and plainly say "Opened for security inspection" not a note saying "damaged in shipping"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality