Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:50 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Katrina was clearly a myth.
Yet, you avoid answering questions posed to you about your position. We'll take that as a "I don't know, I'm just repeating what my preacher told me.", a very disingenuous and dishonest way to go through life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Have you ever done the math as to how many gallons of water would have to fall for 40 days to flood the Earth. The number is staggering, 2,259,140,008,019,188,125 gallons. Once that water is here, it never leaves, so where did it go.
The problems start before it starts raining. The 2LoT eventually gets brought up as some huge obstacle that is erroneously claimed that would make evolution impossible, yet Laws of Thermodynamics are somehow ignored when considering what the environmental conditions. ie, atmospheric pressures and temperatures would be to maintain that much water as a vapor suspended in the atmosphere.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
The problems start before it starts raining. The 2LoT eventually gets brought up as some huge obstacle that is erroneously claimed that would make evolution impossible, yet Laws of Thermodynamics are somehow ignored when considering what the environmental conditions. ie, atmospheric pressures and temperatures would be to maintain that much water as a vapor suspended in the atmosphere.
I actually had one theist argue that the Earth was surrounded with a band of hydrogen and when it combined with the oxygen in the atmosphere, it create the water needed for the rain.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I actually had one theist argue that the Earth was surrounded with a band of hydrogen and when it combined with the oxygen in the atmosphere, it create the water needed for the rain.
Along with bands of sodium and chlorine. As long as one can imagine or envision an event, it is just as credible as anything else. Consequences be damned!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
From reading past C-D R&P sub-fora, it's obvious that a number of fundamentalist Christians absolutely believe in the literal bible. Included are all of the bible's gloriously magic stories, like a completely inundating global fludd, and Noah beckoning two of each of all the world's animals onto his little wooden unpowered Ark in order to re-populate earth after the salty fludd waters subside.

Who here believes this?

(PS: This will be a short thread, I promise!)
You've missed a few details.

1. Noah did not beckon any animals--and certainly not 2 of every animal on earth. God brought the animals to the ark. And it wasn't likely 2 of every "species" as we know it.

2. It was likely a very massive ship. Easily big enough to house all of the types of animals alive at the time.

3. Are you making any assumptions regarding the salt content of the water at the time of the flood? How do you know the salinity levels?

Old 08-01-2013, 12:32 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You've missed a few details.

1. Noah did not beckon any animals--and certainly not 2 of every animal on earth. God brought the animals to the ark. And it wasn't likely 2 of every "species" as we know it.

2. It was likely a very massive ship. Easily big enough to house all of the types of animals alive at the time.

3. Are you making any assumptions regarding the salt content of the water at the time of the flood? How do you know the salinity levels?
Ah Well, Well we have God waving a magic wand here which raises the question of why an ark and flood was needed at all? And of course the Ark needed to have every one of the species found under flood levels, or you have re- written the Bible.

If you get to around 400 feet you have exceeded the size at which a wooden ship is going to stay in one piece. Of course you can have God wave a magic wand again or (as another poster did) have Noah using metal -framing to make the Ark viable. Not that metal is mentioned in the construction of the Ark, but rewriting the scriptures has never been a problem in getting the story to stand up.

The question of Salinity is irrelevant. The fact is that generally (apart from changes at breeding time - which don't last all year) freshwater fish won't survive in a salt sea and saltwater fish won't survive in fresh. Thus, no matter how salt or diluted the global floodwaters were, it was too risky to leave the fish in it and therefore we needed to have a aquarium for all the aquatic species also on the ark.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:52 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
From reading past C-D R&P sub-fora, it's obvious that a number of fundamentalist Christians absolutely believe in the literal bible. Included are all of the bible's gloriously magic stories, like a completely inundating global fludd, and Noah beckoning two of each of all the world's animals onto his little wooden unpowered Ark in order to re-populate earth after the salty fludd waters subside.

Who here believes this?

(PS: This will be a short thread, I promise!)
The flood is real.

Flood geology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are one, or several, massive floods in ancient times that swept away massive amounts of the Earth.

The ark story is an Earth story btw. That is, unlike some cultural legends like Izanagi and Izanami, there are such stories ranging from Mesopotamia to Japan to the Mid East.

http://www.viewzone.com/noahx.html

Also, yes, maybe wood alone wouldn't hold together after 400 ft. It says above that "gopher" wood is a mistranslation it was actually "kopher" (bitumen) coated.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
The flood is real.

Flood geology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are one, or several, massive floods in ancient times that swept away massive amounts of the Earth.
Yes, that is a real Wikipedia article describing the problems with Flood Geology.

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-01-2013 at 01:08 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 01:08 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Ah Well, Well we have God waving a magic wand here which raises the question of why an ark and flood was needed at all? And of course the Ark needed to have every one of the species found under flood levels, or you have re- written the Bible.
No. Remember that little thing called "evolution"? I have no problem believing all dogs on earth today evolved from a common ancestor like a wolf. It's when you tell me a rock grew wings and started to fly around that I have an issue. (hyperbole)
Quote:
If you get to around 400 feet you have exceeded the size at which a wooden ship is going to stay in one piece.
the ark was about 450 feet long. I have no problem with the idea that 450 feet was doable.
Quote:
Of course you can have God wave a magic wand again or (as another poster did) have Noah using metal -framing to make the Ark viable. Not that metal is mentioned in the construction of the Ark, but rewriting the scriptures has never been a problem in getting the story to stand up.
Metal isn't mentioned, but I would have no problem believing that he might have used it. But I'm not going to rely on it to explain it.
Quote:
The question of Salinity is irrelevant. The fact is that generally (apart from changes at breeding time - which don't last all year) freshwater fish won't survive in a salt sea and saltwater fish won't survive in fresh. Thus, no matter how salt or diluted the global floodwaters were, it was too risky to leave the fish in it and therefore we needed to have a aquarium for all the aquatic species also on the ark.
I think my question is very relevant. There are species of fish that can survive in brackish water, and we have examples of fish that leave the ocean and swim upstream into rivers for a time. I have no problem believing the oceans were freshwater or brackish and salinity increased after the flood.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No. Remember that little thing called "evolution"? I have no problem believing all dogs on earth today evolved from a common ancestor like a wolf. It's when you tell me a rock grew wings and started to fly around that I have an issue. (hyperbole)

the ark was about 450 feet long. I have no problem with the idea that 450 feet was doable.

Metal isn't mentioned, but I would have no problem believing that he might have used it. But I'm not going to rely on it to explain it.

I think my question is very relevant. There are species of fish that can survive in brackish water, and we have examples of fish that leave the ocean and swim upstream into rivers for a time. I have no problem believing the oceans were freshwater or brackish and salinity increased after the flood.
Of course, with god, anything is possible. Right? Though metal didn't exist back then, still, god could have provided Noah with this new invention for exactly this purpose. Or, god could have taken care of it all in one swoop of his hand, killed everyone and every animal instantly, eliminating the suffering from drowning. Of course, that wouldn't be much fun now would it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality