Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 02:38 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times

Advertisements

American Biblical scholar Joseph Atwill will be appearing before the British public for the first time in London on the 19th of October to present a controversial new discovery: ancient confessions recently uncovered now prove, according to Atwill, that the New Testament was written by first-century Roman aristocrats and that they fabricated the entire story of Jesus Christ. His presentation will be part of a one-day symposium entitled "Covert Messiah" at Conway Hall in Holborn (full details can be found at Covert Messiah - 19 October 2013).

Link

Old 10-09-2013, 11:07 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
I will take my chances at stick with Christ.

A biblical scholar saying God's Son is a fabrication - imagine that. This is what happens when you study the Bible without the Holy Spirit inside of you.

Then he says... "I present my work with some ambivalence, as I do not want to directly cause Christians any harm,"

Laughable.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:20 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
We will have to see what smoking gun he comes up with.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:25 AM

241 posts, read 245,919 times
did the romans do the dead sea scrolls too?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:25 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I will take my chances and stick with Christ.

A biblical scholar saying God's Son is a fabrication - imagine that. This is what happens when you study the Bible without the Holy Spirit inside of you.
I reserve my opinion on Atwill's evidence until I have examined it, but I am sure your'e representative of most Christians, who have already made up their minds and will accept only evidence that appears to support their predetermined ideas.

Having a spirit (holy or otherwise) inside of you is not a recipe for accurate understanding or correct interpretation of any evidence about anything. You believe that god created you with a mind ... use the mind he gave you.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:49 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I reserve my opinion on Atwill's evidence until I have examined it, but I am sure your'e representative of most Christians, who have already made up their minds and will accept only evidence that appears to support their predetermined ideas.
Yes - anyone who is a true believer has the testimony of God within them.

In a world of uncertainty, it's good to know God and His Son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Having a spirit (holy or otherwise) inside of you is not a recipe for accurate understanding or correct interpretation of any evidence about anything. You believe that god created you with a mind ... use the mind he gave you.
Hopefully God will send the Holy Spirit your way so you can also understand and have eternal life.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:07 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
American Biblical scholar Joseph Atwill will be appearing before the British public for the first time in London on the 19th of October to present a controversial new discovery: ancient confessions recently uncovered now prove, according to Atwill, that the New Testament was written by first-century Roman aristocrats and that they fabricated the entire story of Jesus Christ. His presentation will be part of a one-day symposium entitled "Covert Messiah" at Conway Hall in Holborn (full details can be found at Covert Messiah - 19 October 2013).

Link
I'm looking forward to seeing the documents he has found regarding the gospels being authored by the Roman Flavian Caesars...I hope they will be available for perusal online.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:10 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:

It's the only way to study any religious text as it is the only way one could hope to be objective.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing the documents he has found regarding the gospels being authored by the Roman Flavian Caesars...I hope they will be available for perusal online.
I have had a few minutes to peruse the teasers and I am not optimistic. I don't think he has found some old scroll that says "we did it and we're glad we did". He just has a theory based on the events in the life of Jesus being in the same locations and sequence as the events documented by Flavius Josephus in his Jewish Wars. Then he draws some conclusions from that. Even if his conclusions are compelling, it's not going to convince True Believers. To even get them to waver temporarily you would need an authentic document of the minutes of the meetings of the Roman Bible Forgery Society.

I doubt his conclusions will be compelling, however, and here's why: the Gospels themselves aren't consistent in what is included and IIRC not even necessarily the order of events, so any theory based on that is bound to be shaky.

Finally, I have my doubts about how clever or savvy about Jewish culture, sensibilities and hopes the Romans were. To pull off a complete fabrication and have it succeed beyond their wildest dreams so that it took 800 generations for someone to even suspect a conspiracy ... seems far-fetched.

I could be completely wrong, and we'll have to wait for his presentation, but absent some major new bit of evidence, I am not taking this too seriously.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Yes - anyone who is a true believer has the testimony of God within them.

In a world of uncertainty, it's good to know God and His Son.
Yes, been there, done that ... it's nice to be absolved of having supportable positions about anything. Increasingly though we live in a world that rightly demands that assertions be independently substantiatable.
Quote:
Hopefully God will send the Holy Spirit your way so you can also understand and have eternal life.
As I said, been there, done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality