Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:31 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krward View Post
GOD made everything for his own glory including the devil. Without the devil who would need God? Some will come to believe in God because of the devil and all will cry out to god at some point because of the devil. (You can’t believe in one without believing in the other) It’s only through our needs that one ever calls out to God. If things were perfect would we ever give God a second thought?
When we recognize we need him and we cry out to him it brings him glory. For those who
do not believe, you should think very deeply about
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
You see…you do not have it. Therefore it is impossible for someone without faith and acceptance of Christ to have true understanding because you do not have the Holy Spirit dwelling inside you. It (the Holy Spirit) is our proof.
Why would God require us to "need" him? Why would the Devil be a prequisite for motivation towards belief in him? If things were perfect, and God constantly intervened and interracted with us, we wouldn't need to believe in him because we would know his existence. On the other hand, in a world that isn't perfect, we still don't "need" him. People develop that need on their own, yet some people don't which, to me, shows that he isn't necessary.

And the "true understanding" you speak of is completely subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,087 times
The bible says we are made in his image, so we must have traits that are like his.
I need my parents. I don’t need their money, wisdom, permission or anything they have
If you look at it literally. But I still need them. God doesn’t need us literally but for some reason
It pleases him when we believe in him through faith. If you have children it probably pleases you when your children love, want and need you. Not because they are made to, but because they want to.
Keep in mind we are Gods children. It always amazes me when people try to out reason God.
If God says something is good then it is good, no matter what it is or how terrible it may seem
to us. Surely if a being is capable of creating all that is created, one must concede that he is
superior in all things. It also fascinates me why so many who claim not one shred of belief in God would feel the need validate their unbelief on these web sites. Ask yourself this, why am I here? After all it is impossible for a nonbeliever to convert a true believer, for once you truly believe you could never not believe. (That whole proof through the Holy Spirit thing) could it be that God is trying to call you, that deep down need for that something missing in your life? Let me tell you why I am here. I was 42 years old when I accepted that God was real and acknowledged that I need him. I was in the same boat some of you are in right now. I come to know the lord by trying to prove he didn’t exist. So for all you hard core atheists out there, you better be careful. This could be the path that leads you to God. All jokes aside I promise you this, if you every yield to his calling you will never be sorry.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krward View Post
It always amazes me when people try to out reason God.
The poor reasoning of those who preach God often astounds me - after all I have seen.

Quote:
If God says something is good then it is good, no matter what it is or how terrible it may seem to us.
Still a foul, disgusting, obnoxious, loathsome and hateful doctrine and argument.

Quote:
It also fascinates me why so many who claim not one shred of belief in God would feel the need validate their unbelief on these web sites.
Because if we didn't peddlers of disgraceful and irrational doctrines would have a free field to bamboozle the unwary.

Quote:
.... it is impossible for a nonbeliever to convert a true believer, for once you truly believe you could never not believe.
So anyone who does deconvert (and there are many) was never a 'True' believer in the first place. Hah! Those who thought the 'No True Scotsman' fallacy was extinct are confounded! Here it is in its natural habitat, caught on camera! (1)

Quote:
I promise you this, if you every yield to his calling you will never be sorry.
Already your promise is shown worthless as many who 'yielded' to the deceptive preaching of the self - appointed evangelist are now heartily sorry that they ever did.

(1)No true Scotsman is an intentional logical fallacy, an ad hoc attempt to retain an unreasoned assertion.[1] When faced with a counterexample to a universal claim, rather than denying the counterexample or rejecting the original universal claim, this fallacy modifies the subject of the assertion to exclude the specific case or others like it.

An example.

Alice: All Scotsmen enjoy haggis.
Bob: My uncle is a Scotsman, and he doesn't like haggis!
Alice: Well then, he can't be a true Scotsman as all true Scotsmen like haggis.

When the statement "all A are B" is qualified like this to exclude those A which are not B, this is a form of begging the question; the conclusion is assumed by the definition of "true A". (Wiki, edited by Arq)

Old 09-03-2011, 04:40 AM

290 posts, read 388,679 times
From what I understand, God didn't create the devil. The angel Lucifer was overtaken by pride and turned away from God.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:48 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
Quote:
why did god create the devil?
Orignally, as a musical worship leader in heaven.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidrAkirE View Post
From what I understand, God didn't create the devil. The angel Lucifer was overtaken by pride and turned away from God.
But then doesn't rather mean that Lucifer can't be the Satan who sits down for a cosy chat with God? God brags about what a devoted slave he has in Job and Satan observes 'Bet he wouldn't be so devoted if you let me kick him about a bit'.

YHWH chuckles and says - 'He's yours. Do your worst'. That's not to mention the recent suggestions that Satan is actually as much a dedicated gofer for God as Michael, Gabriel or any of the others, having the 'Evil' franchise.

Fact is it seems that none of our theist speculators appear to have the slightest coherent idea of what's going on.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:48 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
It seems to me that the great flaw in all this mythology is that God could not predict what was going to happen with Satan, which rather shoots the whole thing in the foot. And conversely, if God did know and planned it that way, the plan left something to be desired, didn't it?

Old 09-03-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It seems to me that the great flaw in all this mythology is that God could not predict what was going to happen with Satan, which rather shoots the whole thing in the foot. And conversely, if God did know and planned it that way, the plan left something to be desired, didn't it?
It seems a logical clef stick to me. Either God knew all this from the beginning and still went ahead with it - which makes one wonder why he didn't skip Adam and the Flood and just make Noah the first Man - not that Noah was any saint. Or he is bumbling along without any idea of how it's going to turn out in which case that's a sorta worrying situation.

I just shrug and see it as just more incoherent nonsense that convinces me that the Biblegod hypothesis just doesn't add up.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:27 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
what is the reason for it? (for those of you that believe this)

god did not creat the devil.!!! >man created god<> and man said>> "god created the devil

Old 09-05-2011, 02:51 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
To keep the church in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality