Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:23 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Come on, guys . . . it is false and the least you can do is acknowledge that you were seduced by the stereotype created by and perpetuated by the media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:10 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
I would be inclined to say that we unbelievers must skip the next two opportunities to ridicule Christians for taking satire in the Onion seriously, but for the fact that such random nonsense comes out of Palin's mouth that the first couple of paragraphs seemed pretty plausible compared to some of the things in the Onion that have put believers in high dudgeon.

Where it breaks down is that she's far too politically savvy to display ignorance of the beliefs of her constituency. Besides, they're her own beliefs, too. That'll teach you guys to stop reading after the first few sentences.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:38 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Satire is so often close to the truth. Protesting Roman abortion clinics, LMBO.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:36 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
Ug, I do not know which is worse, the fact that people are fooled by satire, or that satire is so close to reality that it can fool people?

People really should look into things before reposting. Whenever I see that such and such said X, I look for a sound bite, or at the very least, a second source.

Sara Palin has said so many incredibly stupid things, they really did not need to fabricate one.
You make an excellent point....Palin is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:14 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
The story was a satire/parody. While it may reflect the opinion some people have of Palin, it is not a true story.

If it shows anything it shows how easy it is to get people to believe what they would like to believe. the story took on the semblance of truth simply because some people wanted it to be true.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:07 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
What does she know about Easter that you don't?
Maybe she meant Passover, but forgot what it was called. Wasn't Jesus supposedly killed "right before passover" so that he would be "resurrected in passover" and so the spirit of Death's passing over blood-stained Jewish houses during their illegal immigration into Egypt would align with his human-life and blood sacrifice of an innocent for vicarious redemption ideas?

Oh, never mind. Apparently it was just metaphorical satire, showing that Christians do something Jesus didn't. Celebrate his resurrection on Easter's Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The story [wasn't real]. While it may reflect the opinion some people have of Palin, it is not a true story.

If it shows anything it shows how easy it is to get people to believe what they would like to believe. the story took on the semblance of truth simply because some people wanted it to be true.
Reminds me of something...

Old 11-06-2013, 01:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I would be inclined to say that we unbelievers must skip the next two opportunities to ridicule Christians for taking satire in the Onion seriously, but for the fact that such random nonsense comes out of Palin's mouth that the first couple of paragraphs seemed pretty plausible compared to some of the things in the Onion that have put believers in high dudgeon.

Where it breaks down is that she's far too politically savvy to display ignorance of the beliefs of her constituency. Besides, they're her own beliefs, too. That'll teach you guys to stop reading after the first few sentences.
Given that most things that believers say sound non-sensical to an atheist, that is no surprise.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:23 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
the story took on the semblance of truth simply because some people wanted it to be true.
The story took on a semblance of truth because of Ms. Palin's many demonstrations in the past of her great ignorance of history. Like when she said that Paul Revere's ride was to warn the British that they can't come and take away our guns. Like when she said that Sputnik had bankrupted the Soviets. Like when she defended the Pledge of Allegiance by stating that it had been good enough for the founding fathers . Like when she said that the United States had to stand with our North Korean allies.

That is what made the satire credible. People didn't embrace the story because they wanted it to be true, rather because they feared it probably was true.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,377 times
As dumb as she is, I don't think she is THAT dumb.
I think the news is bogus.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
As dumb as she is, I don't think she is THAT dumb.
I think the news is bogus.
Of course it's bogus. This is like the Onion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality