Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:58 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Well my pastor posted it on FB and I just don't want to be a sheep and believe everythign he says. I do want to have faith in God and believe what I'm supposed to believe about Him to please Him. So if it makes Him happy for me to believe His word is true, then I guess I believe it's true. I know that sounds like a lame answer.
Like I said, I was just curious -- not seeking to slam you for your reply. It's your answer ... only you can decide if it's lame and deserves reconsidering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 11:06 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times
Quote:
As a believing Christian, I'm afraid to ask, but OTOH, I have a feeling it would be interesting to see your reaction to this quote:

"The Bible is a RELIABLE COLLECTION of HISTORICAL DOCUMENTS written by eyewitnesses during the lifetime of other eyewitnesses. Their REPORT is of SUPERNATURAL EVENTS which took place as FULFILLMENT of SPECIFIC PROPHECIES and declare that their record is divine in nature and not human in origin.”
My reaction is....Yet another assertion by someone who is not in any position to know that what is being asserted is true. Yet another assertion by someone who is passing along an unsubstantiated and ancient claim from an age where people subscribed to superstitious explanations for what is now understood to be natural phenomena. Yet another assertion by someone who has not taken the time and effort to examine the validity of the claim.

In sum...yet another assertion which comes with no reason to give it any attention or weight.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:14 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
As a believing Christian, I'm afraid to ask, but OTOH, I have a feeling it would be interesting to see your reaction to this quote:

"The Bible is a RELIABLE COLLECTION of HISTORICAL DOCUMENTS written by eyewitnesses during the lifetime of other eyewitnesses. Their REPORT is of SUPERNATURAL EVENTS which took place as FULFILLMENT of SPECIFIC PROPHECIES and declare that their record is divine in nature and not human in origin.”

Only fair to answer this, myself.

I no longer believe this to be true, and I am no longer a Christian. I do, however, think that the bible very possibly expresses spiritual truths, mixed in with a lot of untruths. That makes it more difficult, in some ways, as you have to give thought to determining what is what. But it also allows one to avoid the cognitive dissonance caused by believing it all to be true.

A God who IS love, and who asks people to forgive others freely, also supposedly demanded bloody sacrifices in order to be able to forgive? The God who said do not murder, and who chastised people for sacrificing their children in the Valley of Hinnom, supposedly asked a man to sacrifice his son to prove his loyalty to God? The God who said love your enemies and do good to them, told his "chosen people" to massacre people in order to take over their land? And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:

There are some serious rhetorical problems with your preamble.

I would suggest the following, "The Bible is a collection of historical documents written by eyewitnesses. The documents record the supernatural events that took place fulfilling prophecies given to others. The documents are divinely in nature."

If you add the "not of human origin, then the one has to ask, what is the point of being written by eyewitnesses. If they are the account of eyewitnesses while the events may not be of human origin, the account by definition must be.

Either way I would blow it off just like I blow off movie disclaimers that advise that the movie I am about to see is based upon real events... roll Braveheart.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:01 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
Quote:

My reaction is this: Prove it.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:19 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
To me the bible is the "Word of God". This word is the basis of my faith. If there are many parts or aspects of it where I lack understanding, I pray that God will illuminate my mind and give me greater understanding of his plans for his creation and his plans for me personally.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:04 PM

670 posts, read 815,806 times
Quote:

Let me provide you a new quote for future use:
"The bible is an imperfect work written by imperfect men who where inspired by a higher power, this higher power was not always the good one which exists but at times the authors of scripture where manipulated by the devil. For this reason it is unwise to treat it as perfect, there are many grievous evils depicted within it's pages, but there is some wisdom contained too. It takes discernment to know what is from the good god and what is not."

Old 12-18-2013, 07:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:

My reaction is that most of the Americans who believe that can't tell you how sedimentary rocks are formed but they can name at least 10 Duggars.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:51 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
I don't know about The Bible being, "a RELIABLE COLLECTION of HISTORICAL DOCUMENTS written by eyewitnesses during the lifetime of other eyewitnesses. Their REPORT is of SUPERNATURAL EVENTS which took place as FULFILLMENT of SPECIFIC PROPHECIES and declare that their record is divine in nature and not human in origin.”...that is debatable.
BUT!
Since there are many on this board that place great credence in "The Law" as an arbiter of "how things are and should be"...the U.S. Government has determined that it IS "The Word of God" and "the rock on which our Republic rests".
This passed both the Senate and the House and was signed by The President. It is now "THE LAWWWWWWW of the LAAAAAAAND!
Hey!...all you guys and girls that are always posting "The Law" as support for your arguments...make sure you check this out:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/28236163-post21.html

Learn it...know it...embrace it!
After all...our government officials SAID SO, and WROTE IT INTO LAW!

Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,140,549 times
Quote:

It's only true for those that need it or wish it to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality