Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by factoryrat View Post
Since Adam and Eve were the first persons on Earth and humans came from Africa it stands to reason they were black. If they were made in Gods' image was he black too? Comments?
Here's my first comment: I mean, who gives a damn?

Adam and Eve could have been black. They could have been white. It doesn't matter in the slightest. To say that they were made "in God's image" means nothing more than that they were the same kind of being as God, not that they were his exact clones.

The entire first chapter of Genesis deals with the physical creation of the earth and its inhabitants. It says: “And God said, ‘Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind’: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God said, ‘Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...' So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.”

Basically, God created man after His kind. In the third chapter of Genesis, we're told that ”Adam begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth...”

The same words, almost verbatim, are used when referring to man reproducing after his kind. I’m pretty sure that most people reading theBible agree that Adam had a son who bore a physical resemblance to him, at least to the degree that they were "the same kind" of being. Why do people insist on interpreting the exact same words to mean something entirely different when they're used just a couple of chapters earlier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 06:33 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, I think it's people who say that we should understand "made in His image" to mean anything other than what it clearly states who are the ones who misunderstand.
So, what do you think it means? Actually, I think I know if this is correct from Mormon website; He has a body that looks like ours, but God’s body is immortal, perfected, and has a glory that words can’t describe. What do Mormons believe about the nature of God? | Mormon.org

Do you really want to debate over what God looks like?

Last edited by Cephas40; 01-22-2014 at 06:43 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
So, what do you think it means?
Read my post just prior to your last one. I answered your question there.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,767 times
Quote:
Read my post just prior to your last one. I answered your question there.
My error, I quit after reading the word damn.

Last edited by Cephas40; 01-22-2014 at 06:54 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
My error, I quit reading after the word damn.
I'm sorry!

Old 01-22-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
So, what do you think it means? Actually, I think I know if this is correct from Mormon website; He has a body that looks like ours, but God’s body is immortal, perfected, and has a glory that words can’t describe. What do Mormons believe about the nature of God? | Mormon.org

Do you really want to debate over what God looks like?
Well, in the context of this particular thread, the Mormon perspective is probably the only one I coule provide. It's not my intention to hijack this thread, and I would hope no one would accuse me of doing that. But if I have anything to contribute to the OP, it's going to have to be from the Mormon perspective, wouldn't you agree? Or should I just ? I mean, what does everybody think the OP was asking when he said, "Was God black, too?" If everybody who contributes to this thread is simply going to say, "God has no form; therefore He has no skin color," it's not going to be a very stimulating discussion, is it?

Last edited by Katzpur; 01-22-2014 at 06:59 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 06:49 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Yes, I definitely believe the first humans had black skin,
Yep. They did.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yep. They did.
Uh, but TroutDude, do you even believe that Adam and Eve actually existed?

Old 01-22-2014, 06:58 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by factoryrat View Post
Since Adam and Eve were the first persons on Earth and humans came from Africa it stands to reason they were black. If they were made in Gods' image was he black too? Comments?
Wouldn't that be funny?

I read down and some more scholarly than me say no; but it would certainly be a hoot if they were since I have heard it said the black skin color is a curse. Why does one group always want to be better than another group?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:03 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Uh, but TroutDude, do you even believe that Adam and Eve actually existed?
No.

But I believe the first humans did.

And I believe they were African in origin and almost certainly dark-skinned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality