Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 09:04 PM

446 posts, read 485,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
ll0OoO0ll I'm going to have to stop you right there because you have missed the point by about 100 miles. I don't think of god as anything of the sort. I'm an atheist. I don't think of god as anything.
I don't believe god exists. Not one tiny bit. In any form whatsoever. I'm so sorry if that was unclear. I thought it was obvious that since I gave 5 alternatives you would realise I was being ironic.

I appreciate you taking the time to write such a lengthy post, but you have written it from the standpoint that I'm some sort of fly-by-night atheist, as thought its just a phase I'm going through or something and I actually believe in the examples I gave to you. Of course I don't.

All my examples were partly to illustrate what a waste of time it is to base your beliefs on a god, only because if you don't, the alternative is too terrible. Your belief is based on fear.
They were also to illustrate that even if you believe in god, why worry about what happens after you die?

To call what I wrote 'theories' is stretching the word theory beyond all meaning. They are just examples I came up with off the top of my head. They are all meaningless to me since the only belief I have (if you want to call it a belief) is that there is no god.

It's not a philosophy. LOL. I'm so sorry.

Again. I'm so sorry, it was all tongue in cheek.

That's all fair enough and I concur. Many of our former inventors and scientists made their discoveries despite a belief in god. They were bright enough have a thirst to ask questions regardless of whether or not they thought god existed. Those discoveries were not made in the name of god. They were made in the name of science.
However we live in a more enlightened age and to ignore the results of those discoveries nowadays is simply ignorant. There is no other word for it.

This is nothing but your own personal belief

If you like. Again, they are not theories. Punch all the holes you like.

Again, you missed the irony. I don't actually believe god made me an atheist. I don't believe in god.

Fear again. I feel bad that you live your life this way.
All good then.
This topic ends here between you and I.
To you what you believe and to me what I believe. I am glad that we had a good civilized discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 09:59 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
All good then.
This topic ends here between you and I.
To you what you believe and to me what I believe. I am glad that we had a good civilized discussion.

Cool

Old 06-14-2014, 04:48 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Makes more sense than a "cosmic accident".
Actually, if one believes that god existed somewhere, anywhere while or before creating what we know as the universe, then the question still arises as to who/what created that existence?

What makes more sense to me is that our universe had a beginning but it was merely an incident that took place within a 'larger' existence that is truely infinite

What makes even more sense is that everything makes more sense once all the ideas from all religions and beliefs in gods are removed.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:43 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Actually, if one believes that god existed somewhere, anywhere while or before creating what we know as the universe, then the question still arises as to who/what created that existence?

What makes more sense to me is that our universe had a beginning but it was merely an incident that took place within a 'larger' existence that is truely infinite

What makes even more sense is that everything makes more sense once all the ideas from all religions and beliefs in gods are removed.
Yeah, a cosmic accident. Don't play word games.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:25 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
If believers in an Abrahamic religion need a catalyst for the Big Bang, why would there not be a catalyst be required for their catalyst?

Old 06-14-2014, 10:10 PM

446 posts, read 485,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
If believers in an Abrahamic religion need a catalyst for the Big Bang, why would there not be a catalyst be required for their catalyst?
Because THAT'S EXACTLY what makes him God - The un-created one!

Old 06-14-2014, 10:16 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Oh, so by mere assertion God is what you need him to be so that your argument makes sense. Got it! How did you arrive at that what is uncreated must be 'God' - particualrly the Abrahamic God?

Well, Matter/Energy is eternal - there I don't need God.

Next!

Old 06-15-2014, 05:00 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Substitute cosmic accident if you like but did pointing that out offer anything pertinent as a reply?
Do you think the fact that I didn't use your preferred wording demolished the concept?

Old 06-15-2014, 11:09 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
'Cosmic accident' IS word games. If we try to find more appropriate terms we are playing 'word games. If we accept your terms then you respond with incredulous mockery.

Your entire argument is based on Word games.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:48 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Actually, that's EXACTLY what makes this a 'special pleading' fallacy. Yeah, the rules apply to everything in the universe ... except God. Because it is necessary to exempt God from those rules to make the argument work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality