Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:15 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA The problem is that this 'us' doesn't exclude other non-Christian gods who are older than Christianity or Judaism.
Christianity comes out of Judaism. Judaism is the belief of the Hebrews who come out of Eber the grandson of Noah. Judaism is the oldest religion.

Adam and Eve believed in God. Abel is the first reccorded to offer sacrifices to God. The oldest recording we have of people worshiping God is from Genesis account from before the Great flood when "man began to call upon the name of God".

The accounts of non-jewish gods are formed post flood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 11:16 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973True, but at the time the OT was written down by the Jews, there were no Christians.
And it also doesn't mean that the OT could be influenced by these other religions. I mean some of the Jews were more than willing to sacrifice to these pagan gods (in the form of golden cows, money etc).
which is why i believe the Bible is GOd inspired not man inspired.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:19 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
punishment & reward = discipline no??

Old 01-10-2008, 11:58 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
Originally Posted by Nikk
Quote:
Judaism is the oldest religion.
Is this faith or fact? Cause I could swear that older civilisations than the Jewish one have depicted their gods on stone etc.
Thus they must have had a religion also which is older than the Jewish religion.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:12 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk Is this faith or fact? Cause I could swear that older civilisations than the Jewish one have depicted their gods on stone etc.
Thus they must have had a religion also which is older than the Jewish religion.
idk good question..I kinda thought Judaism started with Abraham. According to some BIble...its possible that there was 2000 years between Adam and Abraham, quite possible that there were others.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:42 PM

The Egyptians and the Philistines could already write and their civilisation was already more advanced than the Jewish one, so...... .

Old 01-10-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
idk good question..I kinda thought Judaism started with Abraham. According to some BIble...its possible that there was 2000 years between Adam and Abraham, quite possible that there were others.
The name Judaism refers to the religion of Judah that is where we get the name Jews from. Judah was one of the Tribes of Isreal or the name of one of the sons of Isreal(Jacob). Jacob was the grandson of Abraham. The God of the Bible also goes by the name of Abraham Issac and Jacob. Abraham come the lineage of Eber (Hebrews). Eber was one of the grandsons of Noah. Noah was the one who Built the Ark with his three sons (Shem, Ham, Jaseph). Eber comes from Shem. Shem is where we get the name Semetic when refering to the Jewish people. Read Genesis to see how Noah decended from Adam.

So, Judaism is the Religion of Shem(Semetic) of Eber (Hebrew) of Judah (Jewish).

The Bible makes no distinction for other religions during pre-flood times. I think it is because everyone knew who God was, yet it says that they were wicked. So I think that they did fall into worship of other things. The tower of babel post flood was most likely used to worship the heavenly bodies, so a perversion from worshiping God of heaven to heavenly bodies occured post flood but may reflect what was happening pre-flood. The name for babel or babelli means "gate of the gods". So this does reflect some kind of secular worship (ie. other than the God of creation).

Old 01-10-2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nikk
Quote:
The name for babel or babelli means "gate of the gods".
And here I thought that Babel meant confusion in Hebrew.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
The Egyptians and the Philistines could already write and their civilisation was already more advanced than the Jewish one, so...... .
After the tower of Babel was discomfitted by God in the plains of Shinar, then Babylon was founded, then Egypt, then Greece as people migrated outwards. The name Jewish did not appear until after Judah was settled. What I am refering to specifically is the Semetic religion or the religion of SHEM the son of Noah. This is the religion of the Jews. Shem is Melchisedek recorded in the Bible who Abraham give tithes too. It is here at this meeting that Shem could have filled Abraham in to all that happened pre-flood. The reccords of this then passed from Abraham to Isreal, into Egypt, and there removed by Moses(Son of Pharoh) and reccorded in the book of Genesis.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk And here I thought that Babel meant confusion in Hebrew.
Babel dose mean "confusion", Babelli means "gate of the gods". This is a common play on words found in the bible used in ancient times. "Nebuchadnezer" means "Son of a mule". His name is really "Nebuchadrezer" or "Son of Nebo(the god, nebo). Which shows the Hebrew peoples hatred for this ancient king. Today if you go to Israel they refer to Jesus Christ as "Yeshu" which means "May his name be blotted out forever" Instead of his name "Yeshuah" which means "Yahweh (God) saves". So you can clearly see the play on words that often occurs in the bible.

So at Babelli there was Babel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality