Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 12:23 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What? "than assuming we as people rule ourselves."

Huh? I have no idea what you mean by that
If there is no God like some of you believe, then who has dominion over the earth? Aliens? It has to be people, right? Do you not agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
there IS NO FREE LUNCH.

Don't want the sermon.................don't take the food.

Simple !
And that's surely fair. It just means that the Salvation Army isn't charitable.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:44 PM

950 posts, read 925,031 times
When I give cash to a homeless person I expect a " thank you"

If not, that person will never get cash from me again.

What a horrible, un-charitable person I must be..................sarc

Old 03-30-2015, 12:54 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
One of the most drastic differences between Christianity and all other faiths:

Christianity - relationship based
Other religions - action based
Wrong.

I can show you more than 100 ways (remember that number...it has come up before, and will againp) that you can be saved.

Heck, I'll even give you a couple for free (I'll show some of mine even before you show me yours).

What must you do to be saved? You can:

Say the right things.
For by thy words thou shalt be justified. -- Matthew 12:37

Do the right things. (Be a do-gooder.)
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life. -- John 5:29
I the Lord ... give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings. -- Jeremiah 17:10
For we must all appear before the jugment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. -- 2 Corinthians 5:10

Believe the right things.
A man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. -- Romans 3:28
Therefore, being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. -- Romans 5:1
A man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ. -- Galatians 2:16
For by grace are ye saved through faith. -- Ephesians 2:8

Do and believe the right things.
Faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. -- James 2:17

Work your way to heaven.
For you render to each one according to his works. -- Psalm 62:12
For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works. -- Matthew 16.27
And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. -- Revelation 20:12-13
Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works. -- 2 Corinthians 11:15
The Father, who without partiality judges according to each one's work. -- 1 Peter 1:17
What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? -- James 2:14, 17, 20, 24, 26
I will give unto every one of you according to your works. -- Revelation 2:23
Behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work. -- Revelation 22:12

Burn your work.
If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. -- 1 Corinthians 3:15

Quote:
The focus of Christianity is to form a spiritual personal relationship with God where He directs your life and tells you what to do. And sometimes it is very specific! Other religions are action based. Do this action and appease this god. Even prayer in the Muslim world is action based. You must be in a certain position at certain times of the day. It is steeped in pride by accomplishing physical actions. That alone tells me that it was created by man. Man would not create a religion like Christianity that goes completely against human nature like self pride.
This relationship thing is new... Less than 100 years old. It's a concept, something like prosperity gospel teaching. It is not traditional.

Do you even know who the god Mazda is and which religion worships him? I'll give you a hint .... You would recognize many attributes of the teachings and see it reflected in the NT, even in Revelations, or, especially in Revelations.

It's almost like, oh what a shock!, that concepts from other religions in the area were copied.

Quote:
The self pride aspect is one of the main reasons why Christ detested the Pharisees.
Yet from all indications, Jesus teachings were close to the Pharisees.
"If any section of the Jewish nation had been responsible for the train of events leading up to the death of Jesus, it had been the Temple establishment of Sadducees, but the Pharisees come in for far more abuse recorded by the Gospel writers, often in the mouth of Jesus, despite the fact that Jesus seems to have resembled the Pharisees in much of his teaching and outlook."
Excerpt from:
Christianity, the first three thousand years, Diarmaid McCullough, Penguin Books, 2010

Quote:
Maybe I don't understand it clearly. Unfortunately, instead of simply just telling me how I am wrong, your comment only serves the purpose of trying to look intellectually superior.
If you don't understand, don't try and BS your way through it. You'll get called on it.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
No we just understand that such commandments were given ONLY to a specific group of people as part of an old covenant to serve a specific purpose. God permitted slavery in that context. That doesn't mean He liked it. He permitted Solomon to have multiple wives. That does mean He approved of it. The death and resurrection of Christ created a new covenant for all men, slave or free.

Jesus didn't speak out against prostitution so using your logic, that must mean he approved of it, right? Jesus was only on this earth for a brief time. He had a specific mission which was the spiritual salvation of man, not the physical. That mission did not involve stirring up a rebellion against long ingrained social structures or even being a physical king of the Jews. Even if He had spent his days condemning slavery, what good would it have done? The reaction would have been either ignoring it or mass chaos. Yet freedom in Christ is available to all, regardless if you are physically in chains or not.

Furthermore, you ignore other passages which are clearly not pro-slavery:

1 Corinthians 7:21 - Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you--although if you can gain your freedom, do so.

If God approved of slavery, why would He encourage slaves to seek freedom?
Slavery, along with child abuse, are only surpassed by murder as egregious acts. Yet no where in the bible are either one of those two denounced, let alone forbidden.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
No it is a copout to NOT examine ALL the verses in the Bible regarding slavery as well as overlap modern societal standards onto an ancient culture that we don't know everything about. God dictated laws to accomplish a specific goal and accomplish the greater good. I suppose you think it would be more moral to spare the lives of evil men and let them rape and destroy His chosen people or the earth itself. If you created something like a robot, and it went amok murdering your family, would you just sit back and watch or destroy it? There is a drastic difference between God the creator taking a life vs man taking a life.
So, Moses commanding his men to rape, pillage and commit genocide was moral or not? Before you answer, reread what you just wrote.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
How dare Jesus........discriminate......against prostitutes !.........sarc

I guess he should have said............." go and if it feels good do it "
.... You forgot the second part, "if it harms you or someone else don't"

Old 03-30-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
If there is no God like some of you believe, then who has dominion over the earth? Aliens? It has to be people, right? Do you not agree?
Not at all. Nature does, and nature just is.

It doesn't care what happens to you, me, or the beach that gets swamped in a tsunami.

It just is.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:15 PM

939 posts, read 795,969 times
I'm a born again Christian, and I'll denounce those kooks out in Kansas. However, I don't really believe that they are Christians. By their fruit you shall know them.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:16 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Not at all. Nature does, and nature just is.

It doesn't care what happens to you, me, or the beach that gets swamped in a tsunami.

It just is.
So "nature" rules us? Tsunami's don't happen in Ohio, so what dominion does it have there then? How does a tsunami rule you? It could kill, do damage to property, but it in no way causes one to obey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality