Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 02:18 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,647,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I'm not familiar with Mazda, but I don't need to study every single religion in the world to figure out that faith in Jesus Christ is the only true way to salvation. The old charge that the Bible merely steals concepts from other religions is nothing more than unproven hyperbole.
Well, the Zeitgeist movies say it's true, so it much be true. Seriously though, many atheists have denounced that part of the movie just as many Christians have denounced Pat Robertson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 02:26 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Well, the
Zeitgeist movies say it's true, so it much be true. Seriously though, many atheists have denounced that part of the movie just as many Christians have denounced Pat Robertson.
Zeitgeist is a joke. That doesn't mean parts of it is not accurate.

However, my knowledge comes from comparative religion studies at university, and a life long student of history.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:33 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
I see, so you think it is more important to take care of a person's immediate physical needs, helping their life in this brief existence rather than attend to their spiritual needs which is eternal. I happen to think their spiritual life is more important. Jesus did too. Otherwise, He would have just stuck around performing miracles and feeding the poor for many many years instead of that cross business.
Well, you prove again ignorance of scripture. Jesus healed people in order to reach them spiritually.

But there are always plenty of good Christians to tell starving people, "Listen up, God loves you. If you confess Him with your mouth and start thinking about Him all the time, why you'll get a home, a new car, everything your heart desires as long as you keep stoking your local fundamentalist church offering plates."

Just plain hypocrisy turning the merciful Son of God into a prop for poisonous pontificating.

The cross business occurred because the bible believers of His day preferred their bible to him. Sort of like the majority of bible believers today.

You want to help people with your agenda in front of you. I prefer to help them regardless. Moreover, I prefer helping those who in your eyes don't deserve help---you know, drug addicts, homosexuals, prostitutes. You can collect your reward down here. I'm looking to collect nothing, now or later, but rather act in obedience to my Lord.

It's always easy to spot people who have found grace. They are constantly giving it away no strings attached. The reason some NEED to attach strings is because they haven't found God's grace for themselves.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:28 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Well, you prove again ignorance of scripture. Jesus healed people in order to reach them spiritually.

But there are always plenty of good Christians to tell starving people, "Listen up, God loves you. If you confess Him with your mouth and start thinking about Him all the time, why you'll get a home, a new car, everything your heart desires as long as you keep stoking your local fundamentalist church offering plates."

Just plain hypocrisy turning the merciful Son of God into a prop for poisonous pontificating.

You are so disillusioned with what really goes on in the church. It's nothing like that. We aren't demanding that they listen to a sermon or give an offering. Many churches run food pantries with no religious obligation given to the needy. When hurricane Katrina hit, it was the churches here in the South that housed and took care of the displaced and these churches certainly didn't require that they listen to a sermon.

Quote:

The cross business occurred because the bible believers of His day preferred their bible to him. Sort of like the majority of bible believers today.
No the cross occured because it was the only way to pay the death penalty for sin. That's basic Christianity.

Quote:

You want to help people with your agenda in front of you. I prefer to help them regardless. Moreover, I prefer helping those who in your eyes don't deserve help---you know, drug addicts, homosexuals, prostitutes. You can collect your reward down here. I'm looking to collect nothing, now or later, but rather act in obedience to my Lord.
Sounds like you are trying to collect your reward right now by saying look how much better I am than those Bible believing folks! I want to help people too and share the gospel. I don't want to give them a sandwich and wave goodbye with a smile while they walk off towards eternal destruction. Now if the needy absolutely does not want to receive spiritual teaching, I would respect their wishes and still give to them of course.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:33 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Nature still rules. You don't understand how universal nature is.
HOW does nature rules? You keep deflecting, trying to turn the focus on what I understand. How about you just answer the question? You are so defensive, for no reason. You are afraid to be wrong that's why you rarely answer questions directly.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:37 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
HOW does nature rules? You keep deflecting, trying to turn the focus on what I understand. How about you just answer the question? You are so defensive, for no reason. You are afraid to be wrong that's why you rarely answer questions directly.
You don't know that natural laws rule? Are you serious?

Old 03-30-2015, 04:49 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
You are so disillusioned with what really goes on in the church. It's nothing like that. We aren't demanding that they listen to a sermon or give an offering. Many churches run food pantries with no religious obligation given to the needy. When hurricane Katrina hit, it was the churches here in the South that housed and took care of the displaced and these churches certainly didn't require that they listen to a sermon.

No the cross occured because it was the only way to pay the death penalty for sin. That's basic Christianity.

Sounds like you are trying to collect your reward right now by saying look how much better I am than those Bible believing folks! I want to help people too and share the gospel. I don't want to give them a sandwich and wave goodbye with a smile while they walk off towards eternal destruction. Now if the needy absolutely does not want to receive spiritual teaching, I would respect their wishes and still give to them of course.
Does your church have a bus ministry to go downtown and pick up homeless people and bring them to your church, feed them, then allow them to scavenger hunt through donated clothing, then take them back to their roofless bedrooms? The last church I attended did. But the pastor, good heart that he had couldn't hold the church together as some of his congregation started feeling their spiritual needs weren't being met-- you know, three points and a poem, a little finger pointing at those dirty sinners "out there." Then let's all go to Sunday dinner at Morton's Steakhouse (do we really have to sit at a church folding table with these homeless, nameless people, let alone EAT a meal with them every Sunday?).

Sorry but bible worshipers for the most part have their noses stuck so far into the Bible they haven't a clue about the human suffering surrounding them. They are more comfortable waving an American flag and crying "Let loose the dogs of war," than in sitting in humility with poor people whose feet they aren't worthy to a wash.

And as I said before, I'm not looking for reward for doing anything good. That is simply the servant meeting the Master's expectation.

What I am looking to do is drive a dagger of conscience right through the heart of the self righteous "spiritual" crap that displays nothing but legalism on a thread that improperly bears the name of my Lord. People are more important than your idol. But over and over your posts sell people down the river to protect your dogma.

Those who have received grace and mercy know how to show it to others in their actions. Those who haven't spend time "protecting" God's "word." It can't be a very powerful word if it needs protecting by people more concerned with what Paul says than with how Jesus lived.

I believe Jesus called those bible thumpers "vipers." I wonder why none of them were godless liberals like those today's bible thumpers try to castigate?

The cross occurred because Judaic bible thumpers weren't able to hear Jesus anymore than Christian bible thumpers are today. They killed Him for His remarks like, "But I say unto you---."

Old 03-30-2015, 05:06 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Warden,

Conservative protestants do not worship the bible. They hold it in high regard as an infallible revelation from the Christian God but they do not actually worship it. That's a straw man argument.

Didn't Jesus say something about doing good works in secret, rather than announcing it to everyone?

Old 03-30-2015, 05:18 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Are you being deliberately obtuse?

You really don't see that everything that impacts us is the result of a natural phenomena? You really don't know that?

Old 03-30-2015, 05:28 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
I denounce Warden, does that satisfy you Cupper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality