Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 01:22 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Maybe he will say the bible is wrong and he expected humans to have enough common sense to know what or what not the good old universe wizard would find acceptable .
Maybe not so much "The Bible is wrong" as "The way you are using it is wrong, Did you miss the part where love is our modus operandum?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 04:59 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,987,285 times
If someone on Jesus Christ stated that I would go back to where Jesus stated on people claiming it is him: Jesus Christ has warned of false Christs and prophets: 23"Then if anyone says to you, 'Behold, here is the Christ,' or 'There He is,' do not believe him. Mathew 24:23 "For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
If someone on Jesus Christ stated that I would go back to where Jesus stated on people claiming it is him: Jesus Christ has warned of false Christs and prophets: 23"Then if anyone says to you, 'Behold, here is the Christ,' or 'There He is,' do not believe him. Mathew 24:23 "For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect.
I think we can add this one to the my-god-hates-the-same-people-I-do pile.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:04 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,330,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
So you would argue with Jesus, as did the Pharisees ...
From what I've read he seems like a reasonable fellow.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Obviously the Op was trolling for a argument to make a hate speech.
Seriously?

Old 05-16-2015, 07:07 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Seriously?
That is the eventual outcome of most of these threads. When Christians actually stand up and say "Hey...the bible says...." then we get bigoted responses from all the anti-religion crowd telling us how wrong we are for daring to believe the Bible. Maybe that WASN'T your goal...but we've seen it happen so many times we tend to just be a bit skeptical.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
This is why if Christ really was the son of god, it would be pointless for him to come back. Nobody who believes in him would believe that he was really Christ, because they wouldn't agree with anything he said. This time, he'd be crucified by the Christians. I'd give him a life expectancy of about a week - two weeks tops.
Naw, they'd just place him in an institution and over medicate him.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:19 PM

[quote=Albert_The_Crocodile;39634967]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
When Christians actually stand up and say "Hey...the bible says...." then we get bigoted responses from all the anti-religion crowd telling us how wrong we are for daring to believe the Bible. Maybe that WASN'T your goal...but we've seen it happen so many times we tend to just be a bit skeptical.
Well it certainly wasn't my goal. I posted the thread after listening to religious scholar Reza Aslam express the observation that people bring their prejudices to scriptures rather that scriptures creating the prejudice. Aslam made the cogent argument that throughout the history of religious texts, people on both sides of a issue have found justification for their particular views in the same scriptures. I essentially agree with that opinion, that is, people read into religious writings what they want to read. That being the case, I was curious to know whether people would abandon their opinions based upon the most authoritative source, In this case:

Would Christian's change their views on a subject if Christ appear to tell them that they had gotten the Gospels all wrong. I believe that I have my answer.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:26 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post

Well it certainly wasn't my goal. I posted the thread after listening to religious scholar Reza Aslam express the observation that people bring their prejudices to scriptures rather that scriptures creating the prejudice. Aslam made the cogent argument that throughout the history of religious texts, people on both sides of a issue have found justification for their particular views in the same scriptures. I essentially agree with that opinion, that is, people read into religious writings what they want to read. That being the case, I was curious to know whether people would abandon their opinions based upon the most authoritative source, In this case:

Would Christian's change their views on a subject if Christ appear to tell them that they had gotten the Gospels all wrong. I believe that I have my answer.
That type of question is simply inconceivable to a Christian, though. Our faith is built off of the Bible -- including the Old Testament, and the NT -- comprised of the Gospels and the letters of the apostles. We believe the Bible to be inspired of God. The Bible explicitly states that marriage was created with the idea of 1 man and 1 woman in mind. It also explicitly states that ANY sex outside of the bond of marriage is sinful. Even more so, it explicitly states that homosexual sex is sinful, along with incest, and other perversions of God's original design of sex.

We believe the Bible to be inspired of God, and God doesn't make mistakes. To suggest that God would show up and say "oh...I'm sorry..I mean this...." after 2000 years is simply inconceivable.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
[quote=TheWiseWino;39644714]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post

I believe you do, indeed.

I saw Aslam interviewed about his book - focused on this topic - on the Daily Show a couple of nights ago. He presents a compelling argument.

And, as you adroitly noted, we see evidence here on CD daily that he's spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality