Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:37 AM

310 posts, read 1,197,056 times

Advertisements

I came from another site where atheists seem to rule there although it was a Christian forum. Why do some atheists have a mind set to try to crumble one's beliefs. If they don't believe in God more power to them, but why visit religious sites and talk trash? EW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 12:03 PM

279 posts, read 782,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
I came from another site where atheists seem to rule there although it was a Christian forum. Why do some atheists have a mind set to try to crumble one's beliefs. If they don't believe in God more power to them, but why visit religious sites and talk trash? EW
so basically your group likes to try to push your beliefs onto us but dont like it if someone else does the same...

Old 01-22-2008, 12:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
atheists help christianity. beautiful stuff gets said on CD
because of their comments. thank you atheists.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:23 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
atheists help christianity. beautiful stuff gets said on CD
because of their comments. thank you atheists.
Well, you're certainly very welcome, but I'm not sure what I did.

As for the OP, I have no idea why some atheists like to visit religious sites to cause trouble. I cannot speak for every atheist in the world. Other than our lack of belief in any deity, there's no common thread that holds us all together. My guess is that some people just enjoy getting others riled up.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:26 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
If one cannot handle the intellectual engagement and are threatened by others' requests to explain one's faith, then that person probably wasn't very faithful in the first place. Athiests aren't necessarily around to trash beliefs but simply state why they don't believe in the same things and are often asking to see other perspectives (hopefully one that they have not considered) to the picture. Perhaps some are searching for faith but each time it runs into a logical deadend.

Both ends contain the malicious folk that are simply looking to trash people's beliefs for the purpose of feeding their superiority complex and help come to terms with some sort of sick self esteem problem in their psyche. Fortunately, the majority of athiests/Christians are not as such.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:32 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Mind View Post
so basically your group likes to try to push your beliefs onto us but dont like it if someone else does the same...
Personally, I wouldn't go to an atheist forum to "push" my beliefs on anyone. I think that's what some of us don't understand. Why visit a forum about belief systems, when you don't believe in religion? Of course that's your right, but I for one, don't understand it.

We did have one poster a while back who admitted to being on here just to plant seeds of disbelief in others. There are also many wonderful posters here who discuss faith/religion intelligently and politely. But why come on here or any other religion forum if you are just bashing?

Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Atheist can only attack God when you believe that the existence of God depends on His believers.
God is like the truth and whether we, humans, believe something to be true or not is irrelevant.
The truth simply is.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:49 PM

260 posts, read 230,810 times
Well we have a purpose, don't we. I know it because a Christian told me. She told me that God sends us so we can keep Christians on their toes and keep them sharp "in the word." That sounds very troubling because to be honest, being on both sides of the fence AND hearing it from Christians themselves, many atheists know the Bible better then them.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Personally, I wouldn't go to an atheist forum to "push" my beliefs on anyone. I think that's what some of us don't understand. Why visit a forum about belief systems, when you don't believe in religion? Of course that's your right, but I for one, don't understand it.

We did have one poster a while back who admitted to being on here just to plant seeds of disbelief in others. There are also many wonderful posters here who discuss faith/religion intelligently and politely. But why come on here or any other religion forum if you are just bashing?
Look up at the top of the page where is says "Religion and Philosophy". If all you want is the religion part, go camp out in the Christianity forum.

Discussing beliefs is not bashing. If you feel threatened, perhaps your faith is not all that strong. But only you can know that, I have no idea.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:02 PM

51 posts, read 133,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Look up at the top of the page where is says "Religion and Philosophy". If all you want is the religion part, go camp out in the Christianity forum.

Discussing beliefs is not bashing. If you feel threatened, perhaps your faith is not all that strong. But only you can know that, I have no idea.
The discussion is great. The OP is asking about the bashing. If you go into many of the posts on this forum alone you will regularly find atheists name-calling Christians, and insulting their intelligence. Sometimes there is discussion, and that is great, but the attacks and the belittling are the subjects of this thread.

To contribute my opinion to the OP’s ?: I have found that in discussions in general, regardless if they are religious discussions or not, people get the most hostile and defensive when they are confronted with the truth of the situation (in which they take opposition to). For the most part, during discussions, the party that is first to raise their voice or resort to name-calling is fast loosing ground for their position.
It makes sense. If I am secure in knowing that my side of the discussion is correct, then I am not likely to have to resort to neither name-calling nor insults to further my point. Conversely it also seems to be human nature to become hostile and strike back when the other side strikes first. When one side veers away from the discussion and gets offended the discussion becomes an argument. Then it usually looses all usefulness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality