Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:41 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,526,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
On the other hand, as "brilliant intellect" is a human value, that's a way of diminishing the opposite in order to dismiss it, much like calling narratives that have deeper meaning "fairy tales" with none. We're limited in our perceptions, it's true. Therefore one accepts, or rejects, the idea of Mind beyond our own, Purpose beyond our understanding. And we who can accept this can only express it analogously, imperfectly through language. (On a more worldly level, I can't even be certain my position is understood, but not to try to communicate it would make me a poorer human being.)

Rather than the original OP thesis, I'd say the question is more about accepting or rejecting the humanity of believing in God--a more productive, purposeful, anthropological, perhaps less antagonistic discussion--rather than analyzing God, which is futile whatever position one assumes.

well outlined.
if i were to dig deeper into your "accepting or rejecting the humanity of believing in God ..." with a subsequent stability of thought coming with an entirely different set of expressions ... a thread like this would be more like an open-ended journey, yet neither the opening statement nor the mods would provide for straying from commonly recognizable topics.

i suspect that few of us are practised enough to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 02:54 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,842,958 times
Exclamation Just do it. My motto.

Effie is it Sikhdom or Sikhism? I guess the second way is the more ideological reference, the first way would make the values suspicious of the kind of ritual that ...

Old 03-31-2009, 03:03 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,459,201 times
Quote:
if i were to dig deeper into your "accepting or rejecting the humanity of believing in God ..." with a subsequent stability of thought coming with an entirely different set of expressions ... a thread like this would be more like an open-ended journey, yet neither the opening statement nor the mods would provide for straying from commonly recognizable topics.
True enough. But "...Man created God" is litera(ri)lly a conviction. Of a significant portion of humanity. It's a very one-dimensional proposition that disallows nuanced comprehension. Is this a self-satisfying conclusion, or is there to be no discussion before the execution?

This leads me to another analogy! I sometimes wonder about last meals, why someone would choose a MacDonald's burger and fries. I can certainly argue the particulars of its being healthy or nutritious. Still, I can't deny it's satisfying for the convicted, and who am I to deny his particular satisfaction with it? So it is with many condemnations.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:11 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,671,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
True enough. But "...Man created God" is litera(ri)lly a conviction. Of a significant portion of humanity. It's a very one-dimensional proposition that disallows nuanced comprehension. Is this a self-satisfying conclusion, or is there to be no discussion before the execution?

This leads me to another analogy! I sometimes wonder about last meals, why someone would choose a MacDonald's burger and fries. I can certainly argue the particulars of its being healthy or nutritious. Still, I can't deny it's satisfying for the convicted, and who am I to deny his particular satisfaction with it? So it is with many condemnations.
Hey,two all beef patties,lettuce,pickles,onions,special sauce,on a sesame seed bun,who couldn't love that....just a little humor here....

Old 03-31-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
Effie is it Sikhdom or Sikhism? I guess the second way is the more ideological reference, the first way would make the values suspicious of the kind of ritual that ...

dang socialization!

Old 03-31-2009, 03:33 PM

Question Ahaa...ah... the legal difference anyhow.

There is the difference between me and you. Socialization means for me a perspectival Look upon the situation. It's the acculturaization which is the being part of the system which made it objective for You to be part of MAN.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
There is the difference between me and you. Socialization means for me a perspectival Look upon the situation. It's the acculturaization which is the being part of the system which made it objective for You to be part of MAN.
never worked there.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:45 PM

I'm satisfied with my paycheque anyhow. It's just the wad vision in it if you know waht I mean. Buddy. Back in eighty-five at the seismic company I was working at it was the useless ambition guy who said something like that. My ambitions have a goal though.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I'm satisfied with my paycheque anyhow. It's just the wad vision in it if you know waht I mean. Buddy. Back in eighty-five at the seismic company I was working at it was the useless ambition guy who said something like that. My ambitions have a goal though.

Sikhism - thy name is Love and Sacrifice

huh?

Last edited by effie g-tad; 03-31-2009 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: socialized? computerized now.. (meaning no disrespect here)

Old 03-31-2009, 04:56 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,931,487 times
Default "Screeeecchhhhh..."

Effeee, you impress this afternoon!

I fear though, that, like the Type 930 Porsche in "full boost" clutch release, we're leaving the more hide-bound Christian types, who like to be all warm and snuggly in their simplified beliefs, in a cloud of philosophical tire smoke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality