Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 01:29 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,228,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
So it's pretty much arbitrary who he decides to save/damn. He's merciful but chooses some for damnation.

I find the human imagination quite fascinating.
Yes. Romans 9 makes that clear. Just as the clay has no right to tell the potter what to do with it, we don't have a right to tell him what to do with us. He has the right to decide where and how he shows mercy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 01:31 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,390,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
It is baffling why anyone in the 21st Century would not use the Bible as their source for knowledge and truth.
Because it was written by bronze age goat herders? Who also happened to hate women and think the world revolved around their little corner of the Earth? Because it is filled with atrocities associated with your god? Because it holds no modern day relevance? Because snakes and donkeys don't talk, and people can't live in a whales stomach? Because bears won't eat children if you curse at them in the name of the lord? Because being left handed is not evil? Because cursing a fig tree to die because it won't provide fruit on demand is stupid? Because no one could build a ship large enough to have every animal on it?

For me personally, it is because the whole book is a bad joke. It has so many errors even the worst fielder in MLB history would look great next to it. The cherry picking and ignoring verses is also a reason. Most of you don't even know what is in you own holy book.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:34 PM

18,515 posts, read 9,198,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's pretty simple once you realize Viz and Eusie (and all believers, in a way) have created their gods in their own image. That's what makes the various editions/translations/interpretations of the bible so much fun for believers.

It's kind of like each bible is a theological Little Susie Homemaker Oven. Only in this instance, little Eusie and little Viz aren't baking cookies. They're creating their god.

For instance, Eusie's god doesn't send people to hell. I think he just frowns at the bad ones and shakes a godly finger at them and turns his back.

Whereas Viz' god has to expand hell's walls constantly so he can stuff in some more gays, transvestites, transgenders, Catholics, Muslims and Mormons. And Democrats.

Same book/oven but different godlings come out of it. Godlings with the exact same worldview as the cooks!
I think you are on the right track.

There's a theory that says: a person's god = a person's ego. I think the theory has some merit, given that a person's god almost always has the same theological and political views as the person.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
That's okay because in spite of all that, one day you will be saved too because God has done everything to make sure of that.
Why would I want or need to be saved by your God? I have done nothing to need saving from. I have lived my life very well, and have hurt no on in the process, at least not intentionally. The very fact that you think everyone needs saving shows exactly where you mind is at. If I have to spend eternity kissing God's feet, I would rather just turn to dust and be gone. I will not worship a God like yours and Vizio's, as he is a tyrant and psychopath. If there is a god, he/she/it will not be like yours.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:36 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,999,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Because it was written by bronze age goat herders?.
You just made a very ignorant statement.

Moses was raised in all the wisdom and knowledge of Egypt. He had basically a PhD.
Solomon was the wisest man.
Samuel was a wise prophet.
David, though he herded sheep as a child, wrote much as King of Israel.
Paul was taught under Gamaliel.
Luke was a doctor.

I could go on and on.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:39 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,999,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Why would I want or need to be saved by your God? I have done nothing to need saving from. I have lived my life very well, and have hurt no on in the process, at least not intentionally. The very fact that you think everyone needs saving shows exactly where you mind is at. If I have to spend eternity kissing God's feet, I would rather just turn to dust and be gone. I will not worship a God like yours and Vizio's, as he is a tyrant and psychopath. If there is a god, he/she/it will not be like yours.
Because He really likes you and wants to save you from death you inherited through Adam.

My God is not what you describe Him as.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You can choose not to believe what he said...that's fine. But I have never suggested I have an "inside tract" or special knowledge of God.

You claim this very thing just about every time you post. You know what God wants, and what God needs, and you claim to KNOW this. If you didn't claim to have special knowledge, you wouldn't post half the stuff you do. Because the fact is, you have no more knowledge than the Wiccan down the road or myself. You just claim to.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:43 PM

18,515 posts, read 9,198,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yes. Romans 9 makes that clear. Just as the clay has no right to tell the potter what to do with it, we don't have a right to tell him what to do with us. He has the right to decide where and how he shows mercy.
So your god is basically a dictator, who can execute whomever he wants.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
So your god is basically a dictator, who can execute whomever he wants.
Yep.

Righteously!!

Because in Viz' god's world, mighteous makes righteous.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You just made a very ignorant statement.

Moses was raised in all the wisdom and knowledge of Egypt. He had basically a PhD.
Solomon was the wisest man.
Samuel was a wise prophet.
David, though he herded sheep as a child, wrote much as King of Israel.
Paul was taught under Gamaliel.
Luke was a doctor.

I could go on and on.
The same people who thought the world was flat? The same people who thought the sun might not come back if they didn't act right? Right....

Sorry, "basically" having a PhD means nothing. I could say my father is the "wisest" man. Would you follow every word he wrote/said? Knowledge at that time is not knowledge as we know it. Luke was a Dr.? Tell me something, would you trust a Dr. from then if you got injured or sick? I sure as hell wouldn't. I wouldn't trust them for the same reason I don't trust/believe what they wrote. They only knew what people of that time period knew, which was very little.

Quote:
Because He really likes you and wants to save you from death you inherited through Adam.

My God is not what you describe Him as.
And you claim my argument is ignorant? Why should I have inherited ANYTHING from Adam? Why should modern man be cursed by your god for something they had nothing to do with? This is the DUMBEST argument you guys have. I have to go to hell because some guy thousands of years ago did something to make your petty god angry. Makes perfect sense.....

Maybe it does in your mind, but for those of us who can think for ourselves, and actually have some dignity, it is ignorance at its finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality